• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

I'm using a Toyota Hilux Vigo Cab. It has 31x10.5x15 A/T tyres and those are almost over. Planning to replace all 4 tyres.

I want to know the pros and cons on up sizing the tyres to 33x10.5x15 A/T. Are there any bad after effects in terms of fuel consumption and mileage calculation?

seeking for expert advice on this. Thanks in advance.

I quite a bit of research when I had the Jeep to swap the 31s to 35s. This may not be directly applicable to the Hilux but some of the general principles will still apply.

first issue is clearance. Whether the tyres can clear the bodywork under flex and the fronts on lock to lock steering. This is where suspension lifts come in and wheels with the right backspacing will sort out any issues with the fronts.

Your fuel economy WILL suffer, and speedometer readings will be incorrect.

With the Wrangler (which has a 3.6 V6 engine), it was deemed safe to go up 35s on the stock differentials. 37s, 40s would need aftermarket diffs to maintain power to the ground and to avoid destroying the diff. I don't think this is something you should worry about, but just have a look online :)

On the plus side, the truck will have a better foothold when you go offroad and it will badass :)

I quite a bit of research when I had the Jeep to swap the 31s to 35s. This may not be directly applicable to the Hilux but some of the general principles will still apply.

first issue is clearance. Whether the tyres can clear the bodywork under flex and the fronts on lock to lock steering. This is where suspension lifts come in and wheels with the right backspacing will sort out any issues with the fronts.

Your fuel economy WILL suffer, and speedometer readings will be incorrect.

With the Wrangler (which has a 3.6 V6 engine), it was deemed safe to go up 35s on the stock differentials. 37s, 40s would need aftermarket diffs to maintain power to the ground and to avoid destroying the diff. I don't think this is something you should worry about, but just have a look online :)

On the plus side, the truck will have a better foothold when you go offroad and it will badass :)

Thanks for the detailed reply :)

I'm using a Toyota Hilux Vigo Cab. It has 31x10.5x15 A/T tyres and those are almost over. Planning to replace all 4 tyres.

I want to know the pros and cons on up sizing the tyres to 33x10.5x15 A/T. Are there any bad after effects in terms of fuel consumption and mileage calculation?

seeking for expert advice on this. Thanks in advance.

The stock diffs can hold the 33's, but you will need a 2" or high suspension lift. Pulling power will be reduced noticeably, lag will be more apparant also added wear on suspension bushings and added weight on stock joints and UJs as well. The standard flares won't clear the 33's and you will have a lazy brake system afterwards due to the added inertia. However with minimal mods you can run 33's but with compromise.

31's are already a notch higher than the stock 255s, I suggest unless you really want to go hardcore off road, to stick with the 31s as they can be run with no mods and is a good addon to the truck. Buy a fancy set, why not go steelies, painted black, that way you can still have the badass look ;)

Edited by tiv

The stock diffs can hold the 33's, but you will need a 2" or high suspension lift. Pulling power will be reduced noticeably, lag will be more apparant also added wear on suspension bushings and added weight on stock joints and UJs as well. The standard flares won't clear the 33's and you will have a lazy brake system afterwards due to the added inertia. However with minimal mods you can run 33's but with compromise.

31's are already a notch higher than the stock 255s, I suggest unless you really want to go hardcore off road, to stick with the 31s as they can be run with no mods and is a good addon to the truck. Buy a fancy set, why not go steelies, painted black, that way you can still have the badass look ;)

Yes you are correct. This cab is already added mods from 255's to 31's. That's why I need to get to know the ability of stock parts to hold the 33's.

Thank you very much for the valuable information.

• 4 weeks later...

Below are the certain pros and cons of upsizing and thus help you further in deciding if you should be upsizing or not.

Pros
- Traction: Bigger tyres will generate more grip. It is simply because a larger section of the tyre is in contact with the tarmac.
- Braking: Thanks to a larger contact patch, the tyres grip the tarmac better and in turn reduces the braking distances by a fair margin.

Cons
- Fuel efficiency: A bigger set of tyres will reduce the efficiency of the car.
- Ride quality: The ride quality of your car will take a direct hit once you upsize the tyres of your car.

Below are the certain pros and cons of upsizing and thus help you further in deciding if you should be upsizing or not.

Pros

- Traction: Bigger tyres will generate more grip. It is simply because a larger section of the tyre is in contact with the tarmac.

Steering wheel is going to be harder than before..

I tested this out..

My friend has 205/85/15 tyres and my car has 175/70/14 and we both have the same car... we swapped the cars and took it for a spin.

The difference we felt was the steering wheel feel.

The bigger tyre is hard to steer (it does not have control, it goes the way it wants and cannot dominate and and its hard)

Edited by PreseaLover

Steering wheel is going to be harder than before..

I tested this out..

My friend has 205/85/15 tyres and my car has 175/70/14 and we both have the same car... we swapped the cars and took it for a spin.

The difference we felt was the steering wheel feel.

The bigger tyre is hard to steer (it does not have control, it goes the way it wants and cannot dominate and and its hard)

You sure your friend doesn't need an alignment done?

Ever considered the effect the "Jumbo rubber" will have on your brakes? (The increased weight and related inertia)

I don't want you to find out the hard way,.. but there's a distinct possibility that you'll be very unpleasantly surprised the moment you step on the "stop" pedal ,..

+

TT.

Ever considered the effect the "Jumbo rubber" will have on your brakes? (The increased weight and related inertia)

I don't want you to find out the hard way,.. but there's a distinct possibility that you'll be very unpleasantly surprised the moment you step on the "stop" pedal ,..

+

TT.

Offroaders are generally lazier on the brakes compared to cars aren't they? So it could worsen as you say. But wouldn't the increase in contact area negate that effect to some extent?

• 2 weeks later...