• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Unusual Sound From Steering Wheel When Going Over Rough Roads

asanka_rg

Question

Hi all,

My car is chevorlet cruze 2004. it's having an sound comming when driving over stony roads.( dak dak sound)

i think it's a steering rack issue. dig me in some ideas ? how bad is it? and how to slove the prob? and the cost :)

thanks

10 answers to this question

Have your front suspension inspected. It could be from worn out suspension bushing to tie rod ends to rack ends. If you feel the vibration through the steering wheel, it's likely that your rack ends (possibly among other links) are worn out.

How bad is it depends on how long you've used/planning to use the car with the noise. If it started developing recently, you should be able to get away with replacing the worn out links, whereas if you use the car for months with the issue, the excessive play in the suspension might damage your steering rack, requiring you to repair or even replace it.

I believe most of the suspension components of the Curz are interchangeable with the Suzuki Swift and Ignis, so parts should be easy to find and reasonably priced. Genuines will naturally cost you more.

• Like 4

I have checked with a mechanic and he adjust the rack mentioning there is a play in the rack. after adjuting the wheel is bit tighter. still that metal hitting sound comes but not like previous(less). Mechanic mention that sound come from the connecting arm of the rack. for fixing this, he mentioned that dismetal all rack components and fill greese in that joint ???

do you get this could you give me some advice to move on?

rack bushes are fine as per the mechanic

• Like 1

did you solve the problem?

I have exactly the same noise from on my Cruze. This is very mysterious noise to me. My cruze was very noisy before causing various reasons. I did lots of replacements to get rid of those noises. I have replaced all Shock absorbers, suspension mounts, outer CV joints, Driver side engine mount (Gel type), Front and rear wheel bearings etc. and got some improvement. Now the driver side inner CV joint give Taka taka noise when climbing hills with load. Still I try to find cruze inner CV joints.

But this steering rack noise getting trouble me from the beginning and never went away. One mechanic repaired the rack ends and replace the bush (Tightened the steering wheel) noise went down for very short time and came back. Another mechanic says I have to replace the complete steering rack so did. It was very hard to find Chevrolet cruze steering rack. I was lucky found one and replaced. Few days after noise came back. Mechanics opinion was replaced new rack is also faulty. I went to another mechanic and he is still trying to find the problem. Noise is only coming when driving off roads. Any idea is highly appreciating.

• Like 1

did you solve the problem?

I have exactly the same noise from on my Cruze. This is very mysterious noise to me. My cruze was very noisy before causing various reasons. I did lots of replacements to get rid of those noises. I have replaced all Shock absorbers, suspension mounts, outer CV joints, Driver side engine mount (Gel type), Front and rear wheel bearings etc. and got some improvement. Now the driver side inner CV joint give Taka taka noise when climbing hills with load. Still I try to find cruze inner CV joints.

But this steering rack noise getting trouble me from the beginning and never went away. One mechanic repaired the rack ends and replace the bush (Tightened the steering wheel) noise went down for very short time and came back. Another mechanic says I have to replace the complete steering rack so did. It was very hard to find Chevrolet cruze steering rack. I was lucky found one and replaced. Few days after noise came back. Mechanics opinion was replaced new rack is also faulty. I went to another mechanic and he is still trying to find the problem. Noise is only coming when driving off roads. Any idea is highly appreciating.

Doesn't the Suzuki Swift rack fit the Cruze?

I had a simmilar issue where a dak sound would come when going over humps and potholes. Turns out there was play in the right side tie rods. Replaced the rack and it was gone (had a leak also so decided to replace the entire rack). Not sure on the specific model but a secondhand rack would cost about 12-15k.

Park your car and turn your steering fully to one side, then grab the tie rod (the pole that connects the steering rack to the wheel) and try to shake it. In my case there was noise of the rod hitting the joint.

Hi all,

Sorry to mention that i am still having the issue. couldn't get it fixed. one of my friend at A*W says this is a common issue in SWIFT and CRUZE and also mention that the swift rack is not compatible with cruze. this is a damn headache now. !!

Edited by asanka_rg

Doesn't the Suzuki Swift rack fit the Cruze?

I don't know exactly. But according to the Spare parts venders and Mechanics it doesn't fit. for my cruze first i try to buy swift rack but spare part shop says it doesn't fir for Cruze and have replace with exactly Cruze rack. The price was Swift Rs14.000 and Cruze 16000.00

so far the following parts i have replaced and repaired doesn't fit from suzuki swift

Shock absobers = doesn't fit

Engine mount = doesn't fit completely different

Outer CV joints = doesn't fit

Steering Rack = doesn't fit

Inner CV joint = doesn't fit

• Like 1