• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 206/207 Vs Toyota Starlet/carat

vishwa.j

Question

Can someone give me a good comparison of these cars? (Engines , which transmission is better , fuel economy , reliability , interior space etc....)

I'm not sure if they're in the same league but I like both of them.
I couldn't find any thread about 206..

The short answer is avoid the 206, get the starlet.

The 206 is a very nice car to drive and own when it's working properly but "working properly" is not a state you will get to experience too often with it, not when compared to the Starlet anyway (they basically never go wrong if maintained well).

The short answer is avoid the 206, get the starlet.

The 206 is a very nice car to drive and own when it's working properly but "working properly" is not a state you will get to experience too often with it, not when compared to the Starlet anyway (they basically never go wrong if maintained well).

So I take it it's not a very reliable car?

I always liked starlet..but difficult to find ones that are taken care of properly :(

So I take it it's not a very reliable car?

I always liked starlet..but difficult to find ones that are taken care of properly :(

Buy a starlet and do all it's repairs. Voila you will end up with properly maintained starlet.

• Like 1

Starlet is good,but it seems engine rebuild is required around 50-60000km each time. On the other hand,Peugeots are recommended as long as it has fewer electronics. A colleague I know has a manual 206,now running 350000 km.but Auto gearboxes seem to be problematic.but ride quality and handling is much better in the Euro cars.

If you find a mint 206, go for it; if not stick with the starlet.

You can get an averagely maintained starlet and bring it to top notch without driving a whole through your wallet. From then on, its pretty much smooth sailing.

On the other hand if you go for the 206, you will have more ups and downs.

• Like 1

Unless you have a bit of insight into autos or have a reliable mechanic who knows his pugs I too recommend you stay with the Starlet. Sweet car the 206, but this is SL and it would be a lot easier to live with the starlet.

• Like 1

are there any airbags in starlet?

Trim levels on wikipedia is confusing to me...

Yes there are air bags. But you have to keep in mind that the latest Starlet you can find in the market is manufactured in 1999. So basically I think the functioning status of the airbags having a bit of a doubt.

• Like 1

Hi,

I Have 1997 EP 91 Starlet Carrot manual, Really really nice small machine, Very good handling, easy to drive.

Driven in all type of roads with out any issue.

fuel economy vary - 12km/L to 18km/L

Not had any major issue in last 4 years, only did running maintenance.

Amila

Hello Guys

206 is not a bad car at all, as everyone says above it's need little extra care when you compared with Starlet, if you get a 206 with s16 / GTI is one of the best pocket rocket and no 2 words it's way better than any Jap hatch. But need that "Extra care" + $$$$

I had both Glanza and a S16 206, IC Glanza is nothing in front of S16 but i have change the hands due to high cost of maintenance on 206 which i had other projects to put the money

Think of it, if you can afford go for it, may be you looking to buy 1.4 model, (i think 1.2 model also their) but low maintenance and reliable then it's a Starlet for sure.

regards

JC

• Like 1

Hello Guys

206 is not a bad car at all, as everyone says above it's need little extra care when you compared with Starlet, if you get a 206 with s16 / GTI is one of the best pocket rocket and no 2 words it's way better than any Jap hatch. But need that "Extra care" + $$$$

I had both Glanza and a S16 206, IC Glanza is nothing in front of S16 but i have change the hands due to high cost of maintenance on 206 which i had other projects to put the money

Think of it, if you can afford go for it, may be you looking to buy 1.4 model, (i think 1.2 model also their) but low maintenance and reliable then it's a Starlet for sure.

regards

JC

yes was looking at the 1.4 model..

I'll probably stick with my Bora for the moment :D

Thank you for all the replies guys!

My budget is less than 2 million so there aren't a lot of good cars to choose from..

Do you have a specific requirement for a hatchback or just cause of fuel economy ?

For 2m you can buy a decent sedan as well.

Starlet is good,but it seems engine rebuild is required around 50-60000km each time. On the other hand,Peugeots are recommended as long as it has fewer electronics. A colleague I know has a manual 206,now running 350000 km.but Auto gearboxes seem to be problematic.but ride quality and handling is much better in the Euro cars.

Bullshit. My aunt has an EP91 that just ticked over 200,000 a few months ago, nothing wrong with the engine.

Oh man my starlet Ep91 clocks 230000+ km and still going strong. There was a Oil burn issue due to bad value seals, I personally saw the engine cylinders they've not worn. ( we can touch the cylinder and feel the piston ring worn out gap if its worn)

Do you have a specific requirement for a hatchback or just cause of fuel economy ? For 2m you can buy a decent sedan as well.

I use a Bora now..You think I care about fuel economy? :D (Well I do , but not as much as Thel Higannas do... 8km/L and above is okay for me) .

It's the looks and comfort that matters to me more than fuel economy..

Hatchback is due to the lack of parking space. It's not impossible to park a Sedan but taking it out is painful in the morning...a Hatchback will make my life easier..

Even a smaller Sedan is okay..

How's Honda City? 2001 , 2002 YOM ones?

that car is not that heavy (less than 1000KG) so I'm skeptical about the quality of the body :/

I use a Bora now..You think I care about fuel economy? :D (Well I do , but not as much as Thel Higannas do... 8km/L and above is okay for me) .

Hatchback is due to the lack of parking space. It's not impossible to park a Sedan but taking it out is painful in the morning...a Hatchback will make my life easier..

that car is not that heavy (less than 1000KG) so I'm skeptical about the quality of the body :/

Say what now? You JUST said that you need a hatchback because of parking issues and yet you're asking about a Honda City, which is a sedan and is probably the same size as your Bora.

Since you like VWs, why not look at a Golf?

Its pointless to get a city if space is really an issue like supra said. But if you are still okay with the size for that price you can get something better like a familia or a cs1.

Also since you are not too afraid to venture into euros why not try a 307. There were some for sale, but avoid the autos with the al4 gearbox at all cost.

• Like 1

Say what now? You JUST said that you need a hatchback because of parking issues and yet you're asking about a Honda City, which is a sedan and is probably the same size as your Bora.

Since you like VWs, why not look at a Golf?

It's not an space issue per se.....taking it out in the mornings is the headache with a Sedan...I think the photo will give you an idea..Is it possible to buy a Golf for less than 2 million? Reason I bought the Bora was I couldn't find a Golf :(

1jra69.jpg

Its pointless to get a city if space is really an issue like supra said. But if you are still okay with the size for that price you can get something better like a familia or a cs1. Also since you are not too afraid to venture into euros why not try a 307. There were some for sale, but avoid the autos with the al4 gearbox at all cost.

I saw a forum post saying all the bad things about the 307...that's why I asked about the 206 instead in this post..

Lancer seems like a good choice..but CS1 is 1.3? :speechless-smiley-019:

I gave up looking for a Familia/Laser manual with 1.6 engine :P was looking for a good one for months before I got the VW..

On 3/3/2016 at 11:24 AM, wolseley said:

I have owned starlet EP82 ,EP91 and currently EP71.

In my experience starlets are very reliable small machines and are very easy to maintain.

Go for starlet.

Hey, can you recommend EP91 to do 3000km+ per month.?..