• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan X-Trail (Hybrid) - Display Language Issue

Ginger

Recently I bought a X-Trail Hybrid extremer, with top of the range options. The issue is - the display is in Japanese.

My family has checked with almost all relevant places in SL (including agents), but did not find a solution.

Highly appreciate, if the Auto Lanka members could shed some light on a possible solution.

• Like 1

Recently I bought a X-Trail Hybrid extremer, with top of the range options. The issue is - the display is in Japanese.

My family has checked with almost all relevant places in SL (including agents), but did not find a solution.

Highly appreciate, if the Auto Lanka members could shed some light on a possible solution.

I guess these links might be helpful :sport-smiley-003:

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/17348-x-trail-hybrid-2015-navigation-system/?view=findpost&p=285497&hl=%2Bjapanese+%2Bdisplay

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/10920-change-language-in-prius-2008/?hl=%2Bprius+%2Bjapan#entry166891

This is not an issue. JDM cars come in Japanese Language only.
You bought a car made for Japanese Domestic Market specification(climate,fuel quality,and yes Language)and expect to see an english user interface?

Japanese cars with on-board radio/navigation have been coming into the country for a good 5-6 years now, and buyers still lack some common sense (or ability to do a bit of research) that the jap imports come with the japanese language.. sighh...

Japanese cars with on-board radio/navigation have been coming into the country for a good 5-6 years now, and buyers still lack some common sense (or ability to do a bit of research) that the jap imports come with the japanese language.. sighh...

Sri Lankans will be Sri Lankans.

I also have this display in my axio. I have no problem in using it since the essential buttons come in English. :smilie_liebe9:

DSC_0988.jpg

I think OP's problem is a bit more severe since the multi information display also displays text in Japanese. The multi info display should be having a "Change language" option I guess.

mid%2Bxtrail%2Bhybrid.jpg

Edited by Davy

Thanks for all your positive / negative comments. Bottom line is that in the auto industry, consumer protection laws are non-existent. Buyers are on their own and at the mercy of the seller. Some authority should regulate that - all autos imported to SL should have the operating installations in English. It is not like old days, all operating setups are electronic. Only basic driving is possible. Unless we exactly understand what the system says - we are in trouble. Ex - sometimes the vehicle does not go to the Eco mode - system says something in Japanese (female voice) - Same thing with auto parking.

I think OP's problem is a bit more severe since the multi information display also displays text in Japanese. The multi info display should be having a "Change language" option I guess.

[img=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UUdU3ZvPjl0/VjpSU05LIXI/AAAAAAAAAqs/D716vyf8Zho/s1600/mid+xtrail+hybrid.jpg]

It's worse than I thought.

Thanks for all your positive / negative comments. Bottom line is that in the auto industry, consumer protection laws are non-existent. Buyers are on their own and at the mercy of the seller. Some authority should regulate that - all autos imported to SL should have the operating installations in English. It is not like old days, all operating setups are electronic. Only basic driving is possible. Unless we exactly understand what the system says - we are in trouble. Ex - sometimes the vehicle does not go to the Eco mode - system says something in Japanese (female voice) - Same thing with auto parking.

You have the choice to import the Asian version through A*W. Or had. Obviously buyers should be aware when buying a Japanese market vehicle, unless the dealer misleads them into thinking that the language can be changed, it cannot. If the buyer assumes it can be changes, well that's his problem because he hasn't done his research properly. I would think a one of the first questions posed to the dealer would be the ability to change the language. European cars have this options as it's either an EU requirement or tradition, which I'm not sure. You assume these vehicles are meant for the SL market; they're not, they're made for use only in Japan.

Edit: When I bought my JDM, I did the necessary research before hand and understood what I was getting myself into, including translating the important bits of the manual into English, including what all the error messages mean (for example, shifting from P too quickly once having pressed the power button).

Edited by terrabytetango

while this sucks ( I know i still haven't been able to set the correct time on my car display even though ive figured out most of the other functions ) we really can't blame anyone cos we are not buying a car designed for SL. So your best bet is to use google translate on your phone (get it off google play - dunno about cr apple) use the scan feature to scan the text mind you - you won't get a very accurate translation: for example the 'reset time' in Jap will translate to something like 'time machine' :P but you'll get the idea.

Or you can hire a Japanese translator - they are everywhere these days. :P

@matroska: In most vehicles the time cannot be changed as it takes it from either the Japanese time signal or the GPS (of which the device in the car is set to e in Japan).

@OP: I never bothered with changing the language of the X-Trail when I test drove it...but my colleague in SL bought a X-Trail last Friday and I could swear the information display on the speedo cluster was in English...maybe there is a way to change it...do you have a user manual in PDF form ?

• Like 1

@OP: Don't blame the auto industry,this car was not designed for Sri Lanka or UK.if you need English,you could have imported from UK.but then it's less suitable for our heat.

I wonder how the JDM second hand users will cope,when speech recognition becomes mainstream in near future.

Seems to be Sri Lanka. Ch@m@r@ Stickers at Kadawatha?

We have already done this part, I am talking about the main system display ( it comes with the radio - set up and reverse cam display). In this vehicle it works as the main system, so can not be replaced.

I bought a Vezela and the Nissan - Extremer together. They both are good vehicles and the Vezel does not have this problem, cos the system display can be replaced.

On a different note - Before buying I went to the agents - they do not keep stocks and wanted 2 months to import. Besides the X-Trail comes without the original setup due to the cost factor.

I have seen this vehicle in Brussels and and checked with them - they say if you give the model and the engine / chaisis number the company will only send the same setup.

Without analyzing the facts, some idiots have rejected my idea of consumer protection regulatory frame work for the industry - can these guys reason out - against a rule - "no auto imports, if the operating system is not in English" - lol....

I agree with you on the need for consumer protection in regards to the auto market in SL. However, not for something as minuscule as the display language being non-English. There are far greater issues in the market like accident/condemned cars being stitched up and sold under false pretense, etc...

what you are saying is contradictory (to me...at least)

Like the others have said...things like buying a car intended for a different market and complaining about the display language on the setup..well....that is up to the buyer to make an informed decision after weighing the pros and cons. Did at any point any of the car sales people tell you that the existing stareo can be converted in to english in order to make you buy the car ? If not...there really isn't anything any consumer protection body or framework could and would do. If they did say such a thing..then go create havoc for them.

Now, here is where I see the contradiction...You had the option of getting it from the agents, like you yourself said; and yet you still chose to go with the JDM option. That was your right...so what you are now saying is that you want a consumer protection body to restrict you (by not letting the car sales people import the JDM X-Trail and keeping it in stock) and make you wait for 2 months for an import from the agents ?

On the other hand you can expect a Euro, Aus or Africa spec models to be brought down by car sales people, but trust me that too has its own problems (some more serious than the freaking language on the setup). Furthermore, I wonder if you have actually studied the Sri lankan car market. The reason why the X-Trail and Weasels are being imported in herds is because they are Hybrids; thus lower prices compared to the gasoline variants. Now I am 98% certain that the X-trail and Vezel Hybrids are for the Japanese market only (that is what the manufacturers claimed when they first released the models and also until the Tokyo Motorshow last year...not so sure about it now) so the car sales will never ever bring these down from markets other than Japan (or wherever else the Hybrid variants are sold).Therefore, with what you are proposing, you wouldn't even have the option of buying a Hybrid X-Trail and would have to stick to the gasoline variant and pay considerably more.

Also, there are plenty of people who want JDM spec cars...also, in case you haven't noticed there are a lot more options in cars thanks to the option of getting down a JDM vehicle. Then again, when the government proposed high tariffs making grey recon imports equally priced as the brand new cars and high licensing fees for operating car sales the consumers themselves cried fowl saying that only agents will be able to bring down brand new cars.

So...yeah...anyway...

Learn Japanese ? It is a fun language...

What the Belgium car sales people said was true....they probably were willing to get down a replacement unit for your exact car. Which is what any decent agent would do. You will have better luck going to a parts stripper or some place (of the sorts) and trying to get a stereo off of an old X trail or figure out a way to get a stereo for the local variant (if you knock on enough doors you can)

• Like 2

Firstly I was speaking only of my issue - the regulatory framework should be much broader and has many aspects.

Consumer rationality has its limits and boundaries. Beyond that it is the regulatory framework that works. The regulation should take place in two ways - one the capital drainage secondly the consumer protection aspect.

I have met a reputed car seller (more than 30 years in business) trying to convince me to buy from them and fix the set up locally and and assured that will work exactly like the original. I have no reason to doubt him because I have used my car permits 4 times with him when I was working in SL. I declined to buy from him, since I have noticed same issue when I bought my Premio 2 years back. The premio that came before had the original set up with navigation, but what came later was to cater to the permit price.

I have a friend who was shown a BN Vezel but was delivered a used unregistered one with altered KM reading in the same color same grade and options. He was a powerful man, highly connected to the authorities and matter was resolved immediately. What if the case was with a one of the general public.

He may have to waste his time & money with a court case - (like the one that our Sprinter Queen Susanthika had to go through some time back)

The industry is Purposely cheating and consumers are left high and dry in many cases in individual buying. Even the JAAI number is hidden from the customer - why same is not public information. Why this can not be part of the regulations !!!!

Ginger seems to believe that the salesman's mouth is the ONLY source of information when buying cars. :D

There's no point entertaining such immature rants on consumer protection, when the consumer himself didnt do his reseasrch but instead want disclaimers and warnings at every milestone. Next time you're having a cup of tea, you might want to ask your wife/daughter to put a label saying "caution! Hot liquid" on it.. :D

Edited by Watchman

Ginger seems to believe that the salesman's mouth is the ONLY source of information when buying cars. :D

There's no point entertaining such immature rants on consumer protection, when the consumer himself didnt do his reseasrch but instead want disclaimers and warnings at every milestone. Next time you're having a cup of tea, you might want to ask your wife/daughter to put a label saying "caution! Hot liquid" on it.. :D

Are you really a watchman ???

You have to stand up to your name at least. Re-read my comments and try to comprehend what I am trying to convey.

The research methodology only enable us to organize our efforts into one cohesive and conceptual idea generation. What I am doing here is kinda brainstorming the auto society. Final stage is the trial and error. The statutory regulation stands as the consumer protective framework at the trial and error stage of the decision making process.

Finally, learn to use your vocabulary more professionally, if you want to be a positive contributor in distant brainstorming.

• Like 1

Firstly I was speaking only of my issue - the regulatory framework should be much broader and has many aspects.

Consumer rationality has its limits and boundaries. Beyond that it is the regulatory framework that works. The regulation should take place in two ways - one the capital drainage secondly the consumer protection aspect.

LOL...oops....shows why posts shouldn't be made at night...I thought the OP and you were the same person :)

Like I said before...I agree with you on the need of a body to stop these $##% from screwing everyone over ! Then again there needs to be other regulatory frameworks to like a Shaken or MOT test...but that is a different story.

As for consumer rationality...well...only thing that is rational about humans is their irrationality :D ..so ..yeah....

As brash as it may sound....what Watchman says is also true...no framework is going to work unless you are willing to protect yourself and your interests too.

As for your ideas...well...I believe most of them are common to what most others have suggested (perhaps not in regards to a Japanese stereo display). however, our country is in a sad sad state when it comes to regulations and laws and of the such...

Edited by iRage

LOL...oops....shows why posts shouldn't be made at night...I thought the OP and you were the same person :)

Like I said before...I agree with you on the need of a body to stop these $##% from screwing everyone over ! Then again there needs to be other regulatory frameworks to like a Shaken or MOT test...but that is a different story.

As for consumer rationality...well...only thing that is rational about humans is their irrationality :D ..so ..yeah....

As brash as it may sound....what Watchman says is also true...no framework is going to work unless you are willing to protect yourself and your interests too.

As for your ideas...well...I believe most of them are common to what most others have suggested (perhaps not in regards to a Japanese stereo display). however, our country is in a sad sad state when it comes to regulations and laws and of the such...

Ginger IS the OP

Hai, my car is only doing 18.5 per liter but dealer said it wl do 22 lu. What is the problem? I am driving with no A/C and all shatters dwn also and always filling petrol to the max. Yesterday at the petrol shed I was shaking the car so much to put in more petrol and my wife asked me not to stop. Pls help.

• Like 5