• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Prius 3Rd Gen Market Price

Autogeek

He will be worshiping R couple for the tax increase... :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

Otherwise a 2013 vehicle almost lost him a fortune.. Your Vios lost only 3.5 laks, if you sold it in the right time.. You won't lose that much and it should be later than 2007?.. Not bad for a 8 year old car comparing to a two year old car loss...

Wonder what happen to the 7 million 2016 prius in 2020?.. If the R couple is there no worries.. :speechless-smiley-004: :speechless-smiley-004: :speechless-smiley-004:

wut? The 2nd generation Prii stopped being made in 2008, from 2009 on the 3rd gen took over.

Uhh...there aren't any 1st gen Priuses coming up for sale so I have no idea how anyone can figure out how hard it is to sell them !

People !

1st Generation : Far left dark green car

2nd Generation : Middle ice blue car (I think this guy is referring to this as 1st gen ?)

3rd Generation : Far right dark grey car

Toyota-Prius-Generations.jpg

Yeah, the middle one, thats what Im talking about.. I thought it's 1st gen.. anyway the depreciation is real.. :closedeyes: :closedeyes: :closedeyes:

wut? The 2nd generation Prii stopped being made in 2008, from 2009 on the 3rd gen took over.

I am not a fan boy of it's generations.. What Im trying to say is still a hybrid is not suitable for a person who expect to sell it for a reasonable price after using it for 3-4 years. :( :( :(

The money you are going to lose will depend on the tax hugely.. If there is no much increase of tax.. Then you'll probably going to lose some money..

So why are you such a fan boy of hybrids?.. fuel economy?.. environmental friendly? Other?..

So? You were arguing against the 3rd gen Prius, not the 1st. Don't deviate from your point when you can't support it. Also please direct me to whomever is selling their 1st gen Prius and I will buy it from them. It will be the perfect toy for me to experiment with.

Yeah my bad.. I was referring to the old model.. Anyway it's not productive to argue with you, you'll use a vehicle as a play toy. seems like a real play boy.

I gave my notion towards people who put 50,000 60,000 lease monthly and expect something in return when going to sell, at least closer to the buying price.

Yeah my bad.. I was referring to the old model.. Anyway it's not productive to argue with you, you'll use a vehicle as a play toy. seems like a real play boy.

I gave my notion towards people who put 50,000 60,000 lease monthly and expect something in return when going to sell, at least closer to the buying price.

aruntantan, buying a vehicle paying lease or cash expecting return is no more a good decision for either hybrid or non-hybrid in Sri Lanka. The trend is towards buying new cars now and any car will depreciate by the age.

While my friend lost 0.35 M from his Prius in 2015, terrabytetango lost 0.35 M from his Vios. I lost 0.25 M from my Vitz in end 2014. I think this is enough for understanding.

Call me old school but I don't marry a women thinking how much I can earn when I divorce her. Tell me I am not the only one who thinks this way, or am I just a hopeless romantic in love with the cars I own ?

• Like 7

As time goes on the hybrid battery costs will come down and cell replacement will be mainstream.

So by the time these hybrids reach 7-8 year mark, i think the cost would be affordable.

Thats a rather big assumption. What are you basing that on?

Call me old school but I don't marry a women thinking how much I can earn when I divorce her. Tell me I am not the only one who thinks this way, or am I just a hopeless romantic in love with the cars I own ?

I usually think only about maintenance and reliability for my primary driver, but now that I'm on the hunt for a toy, anything goes.

I am not a fan boy of it's generations.. What Im trying to say is still a hybrid is not suitable for a person who expect to sell it for a reasonable price after using it for 3-4 years. :( :( :(

The money you are going to lose will depend on the tax hugely.. If there is no much increase of tax.. Then you'll probably going to lose some money..

So why are you such a fan boy of hybrids?.. fuel economy?.. environmental friendly? Other?..

Last year it was a buyer's market, the 2008 Prii going at under 3 million. Now you'll be lucky to buy one for less than 3.4 million. It's all market trends. Your ONLY argument in all of this the fact that you're comparing hybrids with cellphones; if you had an inkling as to how Toyota's HSD worked you'd know the system works first and foremost to ensure the battery pack's longevity. As with anything, there are times when something can fail (thus why manufacturers have MTBF and Duty Cycle ratings and all that). Having said that, had you bothered to gather some real world data on the performance of a Toyota Hybrid, you'll know they're just as reliable as any other car. There was a first hand account from a Canadian fleet owner who only runs Prii in his fleet, and even by the time he disposed of his 2nd gen models, they still had perfectly usable battery packs. And some of the cars had run in excess of 600,000kms.

As for why I'm a hybrid fanboy? I don't think I am; rather I'm a fan of correcting misconceptions and mindless drivel spewed by the uninformed.

Edited by terrabytetango
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
So it's a genius to buy a hybrid? A 2012 Prius for 4.2 mil?.. :speechless-smiley-004: :speechless-smiley-004: :speechless-smiley-004:

I bet if you buy a Prius and Allion today.. If you are going to sell them lets say in 2020.. Price for 2012 <<<<< Allion 260 lets say 2008 Model :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

P.S. Of course you can't buy only looking for Internet advertisements.. :sad-smiley-066: :sad-smiley-066: :sad-smiley-066:

Very True. No one buying car for his entire life, if u brought Prius and 121 today, after 5 years 121 has best resell against prius. and other thing is comparability, allion and prius like sleeping top of cushion and rock

I don't know what you mean about the adviser. However its his own decisions and I got to know week after buying it.

I too thought the price is bit high and when I asked, he told me he couldn't found a good car for low price.

Note: I saw first hybrid car in Sri Lanka around 2004 or 2005 at our university premises if my memory serves me correct. At that time, no one thought hybrids will flood in Sri Lankan market (due to the price, complexity in technology, etc).

Therefore, the market is always uncertain.

Hybrid market is going to crash sooner or later. When it does god helps the poor sods who has bought one.

• Like 1

A 260 for 4 million will be 9 years old now and in pretty crappy condition, because even the cheapest go for at least 4.2 these days. Anyone who considers paying that much money for a car nearly a decade old is a fool.

What? Then why should he waste money on a 6-7 year old hybrid? Normal cars worth more than the hybrids at any time.

• Like 1

As time goes on the hybrid battery costs will come down and cell replacement will be mainstream.

So by the time these hybrids reach 7-8 year mark, i think the cost would be affordable.

Hybrids are like mobile phones. Technology keeps updating everyday. Therefore hybrid will become obsolete as soon as the new technology comes into play. Besides that car makers don't design cars for Sri Lankan market. They design it for countries where cars are used by general public for no more than 3 years. Go figure the impending doom on our car market.

• Like 1

Hybrid market is going to crash sooner or later. When it does god helps the poor sods who has bought one.

Better to come up with facts and figurs rather than just a statement. Just a statement will not give any sense.

Edited by gayanath
  • Like 1

Hybrids are like mobile phones. Technology keeps updating everyday. Therefore hybrid will become obsolete as soon as the new technology comes into play. Besides that car makers don't design cars for Sri Lankan market. They design it for countries where cars are used by general public for no more than 3 years. Go figure the impending doom on our car market.

Any new car whether hybrid or non hybrid are designed for shorter durations now. So, whatever you buy, you have to face same technology advancement issue.

Otherwise you have to buy a car manufactured before at-least year 2000.

Edited by gayanath
  • Like 1

Any new car whether hybrid or non hybrid are designed for shorter durations now. So, whatever you buy, you have to face same technology advancement issue.

Otherwise you have to buy a car manufactured before at-least year 2000.

Yes I agree. But non hybrid petrol or diesel cars have simple technology that can be easily maintained. The problem comes with the maintainability of the hybrids in the long run. Hybrids become owner's nightmare when it gets older.

• Like 1

Better to come up with facts and figurs rather than just a statement. Just a statement will not give any sense.

I base my assumption on the so called second gen hybrid resale-ability in Sri Lanka.

• Like 1

Hybrids have been around for about 8years now but very few garages that can do maintenance of the actual hybrid system even in Colombo. Backward attitude of our mechanics not willing to learn anything new or use their brains is not helping. when they see first hybrid related failure messages on the dashboard,or some driveability issue they say "Mahattaya meeka deela danna" That's why Many people trying to sell out of panic. Besides the higher costs at service(approx. 10-12000 rupees) cancel out fuel savings.There are no places that sell used hybrids with some warranty for the hybrid system,so it is understandable that second hand buyers try to avoid hybrids. Imo hybrids are not suitable for our market where the investment for a car is very high and scrapping after 5-6 years of use is impossible.

Edited by RViji

Hybrids have been around for about 8years now but very few garages that can do maintenance of the actual hybrid system even in Colombo. Backward attitude of our mechanics not willing to learn anything new or use their brains is not helping. when they see first hybrid related failure messages on the dashboard,or some driveability issue they say "Mahattaya meeka deela danna" That's why Many people trying to sell out of panic. Besides the higher costs at service(approx. 10-12000 rupees) cancel out fuel savings.There are no places that sell used hybrids with some warranty for the hybrid system,so it is understandable that second hand buyers try to avoid hybrids. Imo hybrids are not suitable for our market where the investment for a car is very high and scrapping after 5-6 years of use is impossible.

Don't blame the mechanics. It's not there fault that the hybrid tech is getting improved in ever faster rate. Simply they can't catch up. Anyhow there are specialized hybrid mechanics in Sri Lanka people can go look for them if there is any prob with their vehicles. However don't expect every garage bass in the island to acquire the knowledge of the hybrids instantaneously.

Some people who think they are wiser than the mechanics think mechanic are fools. But it's clearly evident who has the last laugh.

Nope I've seen what happened to 1st gen Prius, The struggle they gone through to sell them.. Can't even sell them to the value of bare metal.. OR else have to find a pulltalam donkey.. :sad-smiley-067: :sad-smiley-067: :sad-smiley-067:

By the way the 1st gen hybrids have reached 7-8 year mark.. :music-smiley-019: :music-smiley-019:

P.S. I am not against the hybrids, It's the market + taxes made them this.. It's kind of a throw away vehicle..

You maybe referring 2 nd generation as 1st Generation. Let's assume that the 2 nd generation Prius manufactured in 2007, the battery is dead in ten years.So 2017 (Next year) the battery will be finished. So what's the problem? Buy a second hand battery which is in good condition and use it for few more years. If the market is already flooded with hybrids, there is nothing to be panic about the age of the car. I have seen first generation prius's still running with the same battery.

Edited by AbeysinghE
  • Like 2

Why can't people just buy what they want to buy without seeking external validation and..then going on debating about whose car is going to last longer ?

Even ICE cars break just like Hybrid cars....when they break people get it fixed by whatever means possible <Let's face it..it is not like there is a hidden park/yard with a huge pile of un-fixable abandoned cars>. End of story....doesn't matter the time period..doesn't matter what the car is.

Even gasoline cars are hard and costly to fix sometimes and sometimes it is hard to find a mechanic who knows what they are doing. So it is dependent on the car <gasoline cars are not just the Allions and old Corollas and Sunnae you know....>. The maka bass effect does not just effect Hybrids but also ICE cars. So lets not try to over trivialize the PROPER maintenance of a ICE car as well.

If one wants to buy a Hybrid..buy a Hybrid...if one wants to buy a gasoline/diesel car then buy one. Just make the decision based on your needs and means (i.e. do not buy a shiny Vezel with a lease payment that takes up 65% of your income>. One does not become a fool or wrong for buying what they want and what they can afford and what would make sense for them. There are a lot more other things in this world that will make one be considered a fool and the decision process for buying a car, IMO, would be at the very bottom of that list <or at least it should be>.

• Like 5

Battery is the least complex thing that an old hybrid owner should worry about. High voltage leaks will come and The hybrid transaxle,traction motor, invertor will need some repair after a while. And by repair,I mean the Sri Lankan old car owners expectation of disassembly and fixing only the worn out part instead of replacing the whole unit. Very few people can do it in the world,and even these guys say its the last time they will do it.

http://artsautomotive.com/publications/7-hybrid/105-prius-1st-gen-repairing-an-mg2-motor/

so I doubt if it will ever be possible to keep an old hybrid in running condition without going bankrupt.

Edited by RViji
  • Like 1

You maybe referring 2 nd generation as 1st Generation. Let's assume that the 2 nd generation Prius manufactured in 2007, the battery is dead in ten years.So 2017 (Next year) the battery will be finished. So what's the problem? Buy a second hand battery which is in good condition and use it for few more years. If the market is already flooded with hybrids, there is nothing to be panic about the age of the car. I have seen first generation prius's still running with the same battery.

Battery is only "a" problem not "the" problem. What about the inverter?