• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ac Is Noisy! :( Good Places To Repair And Cost..

vishwa.j

Question

In my previous thread I showed videos of my VW Bora engine giving a grinding sound above 2000rpm..apperently it's coming from the A/C (no sound when AC is turned off) , Guys at Vishwa motors told me sound is coming from the condenser..Sometimes it becomes way too noisy (when the outside temperature is very hot , like around 2pm with lots of sunlight) , and it slows the vehicle down (like engine is slowed down suddenly) once every 10 seconds or so..

Since this is a German car , can normal AC repair shops do this? or do I have to take it to Vishwa Motors or Senok?
How much will it cost? an approximate figure will do...thank you in advance..

• Like 1

25 answers to this question

In my previous thread I showed videos of my VW Bora engine giving a grinding sound above 2000rpm..apperently it's coming from the A/C (no sound when AC is turned off) , Guys at Vishwa motors told me sound is coming from the condenser..Sometimes it becomes way too noisy (when the outside temperature is very hot , like around 2pm with lots of sunlight) , and it slows the vehicle down (like engine is slowed down suddenly) once every 10 seconds or so..

Since this is a German car , can normal AC repair shops do this? or do I have to take it to Vishwa Motors or Senok?

How much will it cost? an approximate figure will do...thank you in advance..

Hi Vishwa.j - If you are close to ettul kotte, then you can get this fixed by AUTO AC spot where its situated right next to ethul kotte bus stand..

Recon condenser should be less than 20k, and since this will need refilling I believe everything should cost you less than 25-30k

• Like 1

the condenser is basically a radiator. I can't imagine how that could possibly happen?!?!?!
My guess would be the blower FAN, in which case, depending on the nature you might need a new bearing, motor or an entire fan unit.

And I'm guessing you have climate control, which automatically turns the AC compressor on/off. If there is, try going onto a manual mode if you have one. It should bypass the auto on/off.

• Like 2

Hi Vishwa.j - If you are close to ettul kotte, then you can get this fixed by AUTO AC spot where its situated right next to ethul kotte bus stand..

Recon condenser should be less than 20k, and since this will need refilling I believe everything should cost you less than 25-30k

I'm in malabe...I will give that place a try..please inbox me if you have any contact information..

the condenser is basically a radiator. I can't imagine how that could possibly happen?!?!?!

My guess would be the blower FAN, in which case, depending on the nature you might need a new bearing, motor or an entire fan unit.

And I'm guessing you have climate control, which automatically turns the AC compressor on/off. If there is, try going onto a manual mode if you have one. It should bypass the auto on/off.

yes probably the blower fan then...not familiar with AC units..

if you mean auto A/C , yes it's there...I will try a manual mode and see how if the sound is still there...thank you! !

yes probably the blower fan then...not familiar with AC units..

if you mean auto A/C , yes it's there...I will try a manual mode and see how if the sound is still there...thank you! !

I think what you mean is compressor and not the condenser, and yes they do tend to get noisy.

You can take it to Cool care palawatta , its not your typical ac joint. I have done my ac from them recently and overall very impressed. I have seen plenty of euros/ford's with them so they know their stuff. If interested pm me for details.

• Like 1

I think what you mean is compressor and not the condenser, and yes they do tend to get noisy. You can take it to Cool care palawatta , its not your typical ac joint. I have done my ac from them recently and overall very impressed. I have seen plenty of euros/ford's with them so they know their stuff. If interested pm me for details.

sounds like the idea place for me since my workplace is in Pelawatta :D

PM sent..

I had experience with the same.

in my case the noise is bcz f damaged 'clutch drive plate assembly' which is comnly knwn as 'pulley'.

this is due to worn out bearing which hasn't taken care of

The clutch drive plate is what engages/disengages the compressor. The pulley merely keeps the belt in tension. It's 2 different things.

• Like 1

If its the condensor fan,no need to spend big money for a new one.just unassemble it. replace fan bearing,brushes,bushes (available at any spare part shop). In my A4,it was done 3years ago,no issues untill now.new fan with blades costs about 25k at D@rsana motors.

• Like 1

OK, so we have narrowed it down to the compressor, NOT the condenser. So like it was mentioned before it could most likely be a work out bearing, which is normally replaceable. Not sure about the Bora, but in the absolute worst case, the compressor could be non-serviceable and you may need to replace the entire thing.

Either way not a complex repair...

• Like 1

Hacking to someone else thread :P

Recently my Mazda 3 BL got a noise when the AC is on. I assume it's from the blower. Sounds like a piece of paper hitting the rotating blower fan.

And in an recent trip I've notice that the air stopped flowing after some time. Specially at nite. After stopping for some time or turn the cooling not to heat. It starts to work. But again after sometime same happens. My guess is Ice forming or water freezing in the lines.

And finally after sudden acceleration around 3500 rpm and above I can smell a burning smell from the AC wents. I assume slipping compressor clutch. Can anyone recommend a good place to repair these issues. Know how on how to remove the parts and put it correctly is a must. And also at a reasonable cost.

I'm in Pannipitiya. So nearby area would be grate

Edited by Thanushka

Sounds like your fresh air vent is stuck open. Does your car have an automatic AC (climate control)?

EDIT:

As for the blower motor noise, you will have to get the blower motor chamber cleaned up and the debris removed. The burning smell inside the car could still be due to the fresh air vent being open. Have you tried running the AC in re-circulation mode?

Edited by Davy

Sounds like your fresh air vent is stuck open. Does your car have an automatic AC (climate control)?

EDIT:

As for the blower motor noise, you will have to get the blower motor chamber cleaned up and the debris removed. The burning smell inside the car could still be due to the fresh air vent being open. Have you tried running the AC in re-circulation mode?

Yap. AC is running on re-circulation mode most of the time.

Can anyone recommend a good place to repair these issues. Know how on how to remove the parts and put it correctly is a must. And also at a reasonable cost.

I'm in Pannipitiya. So nearby area would be grate

I'm new here but I found a good place in Maharagama by going through the forum. Check Bullion A/C at waththegedara, opposite side to NSB.

Take it to Janaka the engineer/technician from Suraweera's who now owns/runs the operation.

On Rajagiriya Rd

I've found him to be no-nonsense and quite reasonable. Don't have a "replace everything , it's all broken" approach

He does a lot of Euro cars, including classics/modern classics (lot'sa Mercs, Jags)

Had no issues with the Audi

Edited by Devinda_Z

Take it to Janaka the engineer/technician from Suraweera's who now owns/runs the operation.

On Rajagiriya Rd

I've found him to be no-nonsense and quite reasonable. Don't have a "replace everything , it's all broken" approach

He does a lot of Euro cars, including classics/modern classics (lot'sa Mercs, Jags)

Had no issues with the Audi

Janaka is my neighbor. I absolutely agree with your comment

Edited by similarnames
  • Like 1

I had same problem in my Honda GP5. I am just sharing my experience here. Hope it will be useful. 

I went to two places for the inspection. One is M*d*e*r* Air conditioning at Peliyagoda and the other one Ethul kotte joint mentioned above. Both places said, noise is coming from the compressor and need to replace. Also, if the condenser is damaged, have to replace that too. Both places gave me similar quotation for the full repair.

Finally I have chosen Ethul kotte joint and done the repair. Unfortunately I had to replace both compressor and condenser. As they said, hybrid compressor cannot be repair, we have to replace. I went for a reconditioned one which cost 55k(They said brand new one is around 175k). Condenser can be clean and reuse but in my case had to replace that too(Coz, they said they cannot give warranty for the compressor if I did not replace condenser). Brand new condenser cost me 26k. They gave 3 months warranty for the compressor.

So, altogether including gas re-fill, cleaning , labour ect.. it cost me 100k :(

Though the cost is high, I am satisfied with their service.

But I am wondering this could be a common problem for Honda Vezel and GP5. Mine is done only 44000km. Same day, a guy came with same problem in his Vezel which is done only 19000km.

Guys, please share if you have face the same problem or have idea why this problem is happening so early. Will it be due to harsh and hot conditions in Sri Lanka? Also when we are mostly drive in heavy traffic conditions where the AC compressor trying to do too much?

Since there are many Vezels/GPs in Sri Lanka, It will be very helpful to many people if you guys can share the things we can do to increase the life time of compressor. 

IMG_6888.jpeg

IMG_6886.jpeg

On 8/15/2020 at 9:24 PM, Smartsanja said:

I had same problem in my Honda GP5. I am just sharing my experience here. Hope it will be useful. 

I went to two places for the inspection. One is M*d*e*r* Air conditioning at Peliyagoda and the other one Ethul kotte joint mentioned above. Both places said, noise is coming from the compressor and need to replace. Also, if the condenser is damaged, have to replace that too. Both places gave me similar quotation for the full repair.

Finally I have chosen Ethul kotte joint and done the repair. Unfortunately I had to replace both compressor and condenser. As they said, hybrid compressor cannot be repair, we have to replace. I went for a reconditioned one which cost 55k(They said brand new one is around 175k). Condenser can be clean and reuse but in my case had to replace that too(Coz, they said they cannot give warranty for the compressor if I did not replace condenser). Brand new condenser cost me 26k. They gave 3 months warranty for the compressor.

So, altogether including gas re-fill, cleaning , labour ect.. it cost me 100k :(

Though the cost is high, I am satisfied with their service.

But I am wondering this could be a common problem for Honda Vezel and GP5. Mine is done only 44000km. Same day, a guy came with same problem in his Vezel which is done only 19000km.

Guys, please share if you have face the same problem or have idea why this problem is happening so early. Will it be due to harsh and hot conditions in Sri Lanka? Also when we are mostly drive in heavy traffic conditions where the AC compressor trying to do too much?

Since there are many Vezels/GPs in Sri Lanka, It will be very helpful to many people if you guys can share the things we can do to increase the life time of compressor. 

IMG_6888.jpeg

IMG_6886.jpeg

Did you go to the shop which is right next to ethul kotte bus stop? If yes, their work is really good and can recommend to anyone though the price is bit high compared to some other places.

8 hours ago, PerfMad said:

Did you go to the shop which is right next to ethul kotte bus stop? If yes, their work is really good and can recommend to anyone though the price is bit high compared to some other places.

Yes. I did the repair from that place. Though price is bit higher, their service is on the day was very good. Btw, I have done the repair just a couple of days back, still no issues. I hope their reconditioned parts also good.

13 hours ago, Smartsanja said:

Yes. I did the repair from that place. Though price is bit higher, their service is on the day was very good. Btw, I have done the repair just a couple of days back, still no issues. I hope their reconditioned parts also good.

oh I can guarantee their work. I've been going to them since 2004 to service my AC systems in couple of cars we had they does a really good job and the staff is very friendly too and take good care of ur ride too. I have replaced my compressor with a recon one like 2 years ago for my fitaria and did a full ac service along with it, and car still blows cool air without any issue. So i would say you don't have to be worried about their work.

Not sure about the hybrid related parts durability since ours is like less complex it still holding up pretty well having the same cold air throughout.