• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vitz Ksp90- Whistling Sound From Silencer

hawkrider84

Question

Hi,,

my vehicle is toyota vitz ksp90 2010 model and i'm the second owner, ODO reading is 66848,

Now im riding this little buddy since 2015 march,, had no prob since now,

Prob is,

Makes whistling noise (ONLY at idle) from the silencer,, sound will disappear by just touching the gas pedal.

at the beginning it was slight and rarely happens, now it clearly occur when the engine is hot and travel some distance. No any sound when driving...

Please help me to solve this,, what would be the prob?

took it to mechanical guy at Ja ela and he said nothing to worry,,but sound is very annoying to me ( i think he couldn't figure it out)

Please tell me a reliable place to get this fix....

Thanks...

16 answers to this question

thanks...

thanks for the kind reply...

when sound comes,,, I held the silencer with a rubber slipper... then sound is not coming...

What matters is, this sound is not coming all the time..

So when I meet a mechanic guy sound is not there.... :sad-smiley-058::sad-smiley-058::sad-smiley-058::sad-smiley-058:

But when it comes,,, it's very annoying... on the other hand don't know this will be a big issue later,,,

I did all periodic maintenance properly and on time,,, even i did engine tuneup from toyota lanka wattala..

as per my knowledge, sound is not coming from engine bay....

ohhhhh moratuwa is bit too far away for me.. :speechless-smiley-019::speechless-smiley-019::speechless-smiley-019: . I do live in kandana ......

Thanks again for being helpful... :smilie_liebe9::smilie_liebe9::smilie_liebe9::smilie_liebe9::smilie_liebe9::smilie_liebe9:

Hey There,

To me it look like worn out bushes where your silencer is been fixed, may be during idle your car must be shaking a bit and the vibration comes as a sound.

Not so sure but better to check it out.

Keep us posted with your findings..

Cheers

• Like 1

If it is a whining noise from the silencer at a certain RPM or appearing intermittently, it could be from a silencer mount. There must be three of them I believe - one on the rear muffler and two just behind the firewall area. They are just rubber mounts to hang the silencer but at least the two front ones can generate some noise. Just spray a little WD40 on each of them and see if the noise disappear temporarily.

• Like 1

Well me too gets some whistling noise but it's total opposite of yours. It's coming from engine bay while accelerating only in some occasions . And it's bit fun :)

:sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004: watch out... even if you get it occasionally now,,, it'll get worse n future..that's ma story,,

Hi,

First make sure where the sound originates from:

• If it's from the engine bay, it's due to the slack in alternator, A/C, water pump belt.Just adjust it.
  • If it is from the silencer, then it is more or less a "lubrication" problem. There are two springs attached to the two screws fastening the silencer tube to the muffler. Just apply some oil to those two and you will be relieved. There's nothing serious with it. Have you noticed that this sound does not come for sometime after you underwash?
  • Like 1

Hey There,

To me it look like worn out bushes where your silencer is been fixed, may be during idle your car must be shaking a bit and the vibration comes as a sound.

Not so sure but better to check it out.

Keep us posted with your findings..

Cheers

Hi,,

Yes indeed, there is a small vibration n my car which is inherent to 3 cylinder model, but it is very slight and not much noticeable.

thanks for the tip, i'l check that on this sunday.

Cheeressss!!!

yeah i'l update

Hi,

First make sure where the sound originates from:

• If it's from the engine bay, it's due to the slack in alternator, A/C, water pump belt.Just adjust it.
  • If it is from the silencer, then it is more or less a "lubrication" problem. There are two springs attached to the two screws fastening the silencer tube to the muffler. Just apply some oil to those two and you will be relieved. There's nothing serious with it. Have you noticed that this sound does not come for sometime after you underwash?

Hey,,

NO , Never noticed it, cz sound comes and goes time to time

Defa... I wil try that out,,, never thought this could be due to lack of lubrication,,,

Yes I have seen those two springs cz i checked the whole exhaust pipe line for a hole n there....... :speechless-smiley-019::speechless-smiley-019::speechless-smiley-019::speechless-smiley-019:

How silly I am??

Thanks will let you know the upadate

Thanks again

Edited by hawkrider84

I had the same problem. It turned out to be due to deterioration of a rubber pack where two springs are attached to two screws fastening the silencer tube to the muffler just to the front of the right rear wheel. The noise disappeared after applying some grease and has not reappeared for more than a year.

If it is a whining noise from the silencer at a certain RPM or appearing intermittently, it could be from a silencer mount. There must be three of them I believe - one on the rear muffler and two just behind the firewall area. They are just rubber mounts to hang the silencer but at least the two front ones can generate some noise. Just spray a little WD40 on each of them and see if the noise disappear temporarily.
I wouldn't recommend applying oil. When the exhaust heats up, oil will start to emit weird burning smells and smoke. The best would be to use WD40 as Rumesh suggested above.
What if there is a tiny leak or hole in the muffler?

It might cause that sound as well. Just a thought though...

I had the same problem. It turned out to be due to deterioration of a rubber pack where two springs are attached to two screws fastening the silencer tube to the muffler just to the front of the right rear wheel. The noise disappeared after applying some grease and has not reappeared for more than a year.

Thanks to all for the reply,

with all these info,,,hopefully, I will be able to get rid of this prob,,

will share the results

Cheeers

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I did apply some grease to the two rubber bushes where silencer hangs on.... Amazing..... Sound is gone since then & never came..

It almost two weeks now.. I took some time for confirmation....

Thank you so much for being helpful guys... If not I might spend my valuable time & money on this issue.....

Thanks again...

Cheers ?

?

• Like 3

On 3/1/2016 at 7:36 AM, hawkrider84 said:

Hi guys,

I did apply some grease to the two rubber bushes where silencer hangs on.... Amazing..... Sound is gone since then & never came..

It almost two weeks now.. I took some time for confirmation....

Thank you so much for being helpful guys... If not I might spend my valuable time & money on this issue.....

Thanks again...

Cheers ?

?

I also have same problem...can i have your number? Need to talk with you 👍