• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Manual Legacy B4 Twin Turbo

carmad

<blockquote>

there is a difference AT pumps out 265hp (4speed) and MT does 280hp (5speed) 0.6sec difference in 0-100km...will keep a look out mate

edit: little bit of a correction here it should be hp and NOT bhp, my bad. Thanks Davy for pointing this out :)

</blockquote>

Don't expect to get anywhere close to original numbers from most of these old cars. Especially the old Subaru twin turbo has a notorious reputation for shedding horses over the years. So much so that even Jehan recommends single turbo conversions if you are into performance in a legacy of this age.

I had a year 2000 manual that Jehan claimed had no engine troubles at all and I currently have a friend who has an automatic that is maintained extremely well and I can assure you that neither cars can keep up with my existing car with 100 less horse power on paper!

This "horses escaping" business is largely unprovable either way, generally an engine maintained well and with not much wear should be putting out close to it's original power output. There would be a drop only if some maka bass has messed around with it or if it's got ridiculous mileage with sub par maintenance. (and i mean ALL aspects of maintaining it, not just oil and filter change).

With regard to your current car (assuming it's the one in your profile picture) being faster despite the horsepower difference on paper I would suspect it's more to do with the insane low end torque that BMW diesels can produce. Very little can keep up with a 320d when it comes to mid range shove.

Edited by Supra_Natural

This "horses escaping" business is largely unprovable either way, generally an engine maintained well and with not much wear should be putting out close to it's original power output. There would be a drop only if some maka bass has messed around with it or if it's got ridiculous mileage with sub par maintenance. (and i mean ALL aspects of maintaining it, not just oil and filter change).

With regard to your current car (assuming it's the one in your profile picture) being faster despite the horsepower difference on paper I would suspect it's more to do with the insane low end torque that BMW diesels can produce. Very little can keep up with a 320d when it comes to mid range shove.

Well now, that's a better explanation :)

• Like 1

Isurujosh..in vain you sold your 2000 B4. Is it still on the market? Thanks Supra_Natural for that clear explanation. I guess it's all to do with proper maintenance but only a very few really do it. Partly due to the cost involved but then I hear that Subarus are not for the faint hearted in terms of money :)

Small queries for someone who could clarify-when comparing a car with higher HP but lower maximum speed Vs car with a lower HP (in comparison) but higher maximum speed assuming both are turbocharged/petrol- which would win a race? I'm guessing it depends on the distance. Are turbocharged with Intercooler far superior to a set-up without the intercooler in terms of performance/speed?

Are turbo timers a must have for turbocharged vehicles? If so why are they not factory fitted?

Apologies for the long list of queries...But I feel there's quite a few people with vast knowledge from experience, etc and there's nothing better than that :)