• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Manual Legacy B4 Twin Turbo

carmad

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and Subaru cars. I kind of like the outlook of the Legacy and so looking to buy a Manual Legacy B4 Twin Turbo. Any ideas on how to look for one? And what needs to be checked prior to buying?

Thanks in advance...Cheers !!!

is it me or is everyone these days looking for a B4 :D

anyways happy to hear that. pretty straight fwd in finding one. go through the normal channels like AL and quick site or even a little call to senok might help as well since the guys there might know of any cars that are in the market.

Manuals are pretty hard to come by of which some are hacked but there were some good cars which were kept in mint condition and so far haven't heard the owner parting with them.

find the car (Number plate) you want and give call to Jehan@ Senok workshop. he should be able to give you a little heads up on the car and even might ask you to bring the car around and do a free inspection. its also advisable that you do a checkup else where like C*rCh*cks just so you have a little piece of mind about the investment you are gonna put into it.

IF not properly serviced and taken care of i would recommend on staying far far away. so far i have been advised by a lot before i went n bought mine and m not sorry at all.

If you need any help let me know :D happy hunting

• Like 3

Thank you Muditha420 for your detailed pointers on the subject. Been keeping an eye on AL but sadly the divine machine I'm looking for doesn't seem to pop up there these days :) Your one's a manual? I've heard about Senok but not heard about CarChecks (assume that's what you meant). What do they do? Can they give heads up on the originality of a car?

Thanks, fiatLife...will you be able to share those posts/threads on manual conversions? It'll be a great help for a new entrant like me :)

@carmad, C*rCh*cks will inspect the car for almost everything like accidents, damage repairs, suspension, ecu/engine probs and all. they will evaluate and give a points based result sheet. also they do check for the original mileage and all.

also muditha420 seems to be the most wanted guy on subaru related topics ;)

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/17466-subaru-legacy-b4/

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13297-subaru-legacy-b4-info-help

No mate mine is a triptronic... few MT's i came across were not in a good way... only one i cam across was at a time when i couldn't afford it but that was a mint spec, now with a good owner. few Legacy's currently on the market were on i*man n those are not B4's but normal legacy's but you can do a conversion IF you are up to the task.

Senok and CarChecks do inspection, Yes. what you can find out from Senok is IF the car has come there for regular servicing etc so u know the millage wasn't tampered and generally the current owner has taken good care of it by servicing in proper intervals. what the other place can do is give you a detailed inspection on the car suspension, body condition (accidents etc) tampering, overall engine and gearbox issues so n so forth. mind you you can't find all the issues in any car check up place but u'll have a decent piece of mind that you are paying for least a stable car for sometime without buying a lemon from your hard earned money.

most of these cars what i think would firstly go in word of mouth and most likely will be sold like that before they hit the market. will keep a look out as well for you. but till then have a chat with Jehan at Senok he might know also.

Thanks fiatLife for the threads...wow now that needs some serious reading, very informative :)

fiatLife & Muditha420, ok so from your comments I gather that carchecks is the place to be after senok clears it..good to know, thanks.

Muditha420 is there a big difference in terms of power between a triptronic vs a manual. I assume the triptronic must be more responsive. And thanks pls do let me know if you come across a good vehicle.

there is a difference AT pumps out 265hp (4speed) and MT does 280hp (5speed) 0.6sec difference in 0-100km...will keep a look out mate

edit: little bit of a correction here it should be hp and NOT bhp, my bad. Thanks Davy for pointing this out :)

Edited by Muditha420
  • Like 3

I had told some buddies of mine regarding my requirement and a result at last J

Came to know through a friend of mine about a car that is up for sale. According to the information I got it’s an original manual and accident free and in good condition. The car plate is WP HD 3869. Does anyone know about this car?

Hope I didn’t violate any rules by posting a plate number…It’s just that I’m knew to the scene and before actively pursuing I would like to know if it’s worth the effort.

Any information welcome…

My friend use to own a b4 rsk! With butterfly spoiler! Still in love the way it drives, the sound of boxer engine, feel of turbo kicking in and the blow off when you shift gears!!

Missing the good old days.

It was Darin's x car

• Like 1

carmad did u get the info from agents??? any news on this coz i can't get any info from the usual people i know of about this car. did u get any pics of this yet? chances are IF u delay and IF this is a good car it might be gone by the time u decide to ask these people and get it checked out. so sooner the better i think

IF you are referring to the one in balck, unless u prepared to go to come country to get the car that aint SL :D M pretty sure even a tuk tuk driver has a cam no need to put boru images up noh?? plus this guy has been putting up images from japan some of which i too have seen in google images long time back

Apologies Muditha420, I was out of the grid for a while. Managed to contact J @ Senok. Well I was told that it had not come to them for the last year or so and before that for short spells. He didn't comment anything else on the vehicle. But told me to be careful about the SL Legacy B4 market in general (not the car I was asking about) as there had been a few crashes :( I don't know for some reason I felt he didn't come out with the full details...possibly since I'm a newbie?

Anyways; as far as that car is concerned the decision's a stale mate

he cannot tell most of the things as u well know since its a matter of the customer n also privacy noh... what u can do is take to CC n check it out for crashes etc... even go n check J @senok... in my case he told the rear bushes were gone plus there was a small oil leak from the tappet cover... the last of which he told the previous owner that he will have to tell me since i'll be buying it. the owner told it was okay... so i reduced the price a bit owing to the bushes etc.

yes there were a few crashes hence why you should check with a place where they can inspect the car specially underneath it :)

I thought obtaining information prior to meeting the owner would be the best since you don't want to put the present owner at difficulty as well as the expert. But that's my thinking i guess :). By the looks of it Muditha420 the most safest cars are the ones available in the Jap Auctions...unfortunately can't bring down due to time bar :(

I would still advice you to go and get these cars checked at the places i have mentioned, IF ur still intending to buy these cars that is. there was a face-lifted B4 A/T up for grabs a few days ago m not sure how the condition is but you could have gone n checked it. This is the case with any car that's up on sale in SL. you are better off checking the car rather than finding out what u bought is a lemon :P

<blockquote>

there is a difference AT pumps out 265hp (4speed) and MT does 280hp (5speed) 0.6sec difference in 0-100km...will keep a look out mate

edit: little bit of a correction here it should be hp and NOT bhp, my bad. Thanks Davy for pointing this out :)

</blockquote>

Don't expect to get anywhere close to original numbers from most of these old cars. Especially the old Subaru twin turbo has a notorious reputation for shedding horses over the years. So much so that even Jehan recommends single turbo conversions if you are into performance in a legacy of this age.

I had a year 2000 manual that Jehan claimed had no engine troubles at all and I currently have a friend who has an automatic that is maintained extremely well and I can assure you that neither cars can keep up with my existing car with 100 less horse power on paper!

Edited by isurujosh