• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pothole Damage To Suspention Or Any Other Part.

NRA95

Question

Hi guys!

Recently I drove over a deep pothole at around 35Kmph (Front driver's side) in my 2015 Toyota Axio hybrid. The wheel cover went flying & the rim was bent. Nothing happened to the tire though. I replaced the rim & got the alignment checked. There was a small difference in the alignment. Other than that there is no issue at all. There is no body damage or anything as. The buffer hasn't touched the ground even. But I want to know whether it could harm any suspention parts or ball joints or anything? At the moment there isn't any noice or anything. It's 100% perfect. But can it cause any problem in the long run? Anything that I should do about it?

Thanks in advance.

18 answers to this question

Hi guys!

Recently I drove over a deep pothole at around 35Kmph (Front driver's side) in my 2015 Toyota Axio hybrid. The wheel cover went flying & the rim was bent. Nothing happened to the tire though. I replaced the rim & got the alignment checked. There was a small difference in the alignment. Other than that there is no issue at all. There is no body damage or anything as. The buffer hasn't touched the ground even. But I want to know whether it could harm any suspention parts or ball joints or anything? At the moment there isn't any noice or anything. It's 100% perfect. But can it cause any problem in the long run? Anything that I should do about it?

Thanks in advance.

1. If at the moment there's no noise or issues and the suspension seems normal: Don't worry about it. All is well.

2. I'm sure auto repair shops would love to relieve you of some of your money if you walk in with the " Will anything happen in the future, but nothing seems to be wrong now, what do you think I should do?" attitude. So my advice is : Don't worry about it as mentioned above, and don't go looking for repairs as any garage, no matter their reputation would gladly create work for gullible customers to carry out...

• Like 5

Hi guys!

Thanks in advance.

Must have been quite a hole to bend a steelie at that speed! What tyre pressure do you maintain?

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

If it makes you feel any better....

You know those red bricks that they use to pave the ..uhh..pavements in Colombo ?

I (well my dad) ran over the side of one of those in my car (a Mark X) and slit two tires....then sometime ago in my dad's CR-V I ran over a small pot hole. Less than a km later my tire goes flat. To see the pot hole has had metal stick like things popping out. So it happens...just don't make a habit of running over pot holes.

As for the damage...like the other have said...if nothing is rattling or creeking or when you drive it feels like you are trying to control a giant blob of an elephant you are more than likely okay (but remember....if you are going to be dropping your car in to pot holes every day; eventually it is going to take a toll on your suspension). If something does come up later just get it sorted out then.

If you want to get some piece of mind...just peep under the car and the wheel well and see if anything is bent or seems out of place. If you are still uncertain and want to spend money for that feeling of assurance..then take it to a service station and get them to hoist it up and take a look...if you are still not certain take it to one of those independent car check places and get them to check it out

The tire pressure was around 30. And yes it was a quite a big hole. The buffer didn't touch the ground though. I still can't believe that the tire didn't crack.

You must take special vigilance about the tire. Even tough it is normal in performance/appearance the internal structure may be damaged

since the stroke was sufficient to bend the rim.

This can cause a tire burst at high speed in Highways leads to fatal.

I think how heavy the car is critical when dropping the car in to a pot hole. My starlet has gone over many pot holes almost every manner you can think of, with low profile tires, still no issue. :sport-smiley-004: doesn't mean that I do it purposely, but some potholes can not avoid.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. What can I do to check whether the tire has internal damage? Remove the tire from the rim & inspect? Would that be enough?

Yes , you can do a physical inspection as you suggested. The internal structure damages sometimes not visible at early stages.

Refer below link for reference. You may get an idea.

http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euroratas/kita/naudinga_informacija/radial_tire_conditins_analysis_guide.pdf

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Rohnd" data-cid="288963" data-time="1454254723"><p><br/>

Yes , you can do a physical inspection as you suggested. The internal structure damages sometimes not visible at early stages.<br /><br/>

<br /><br/>

Refer below link for reference. You may get an idea.<br /><br/>

<br /><br/>

<a href='<a href='http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euroratas/kita/naudinga_informacija/radial_tire_conditins_analysis_guide.pdf'>http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euroratas/kita/naudinga_informacija/radial_tire_conditins_analysis_guide.pdf</a>'><a href='http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euroratas/kita/naudinga_informacija/radial_tire_conditins_analysis_guide.pdf'>http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euroratas/kita/naudinga_informacija/radial_tire_conditins_analysis_guide.pdf</a></a></p></blockquote>

Will do. Thanks a lot.

Edited by NRA95

I (well my dad) ran over the side of one of those in my car (a Mark X) and slit two tires....then sometime ago in my dad's CR-V I ran over a small pot hole. Less than a km later my tire go

Why do you keep messing up each other's rides man? :D

• Like 2

OP, did you check the tire sidewall? I did this in my Vios when I first got it, and both tires on one side had damaged sidewalls. i.e. there was a bump on the sidewall of each tire where the reinforcement had broken and the pressure making the tire skin balloon. If there are, replace them immediately because a blow out is imminent. I ended up having to replace all 4 tires because the previous owner had mounted different brands front and rear.

Edited by terrabytetango
  • Like 1

Thank you for the reply. Yes there was a bump on the outside sidewall where the rim was bent. But when I replaced the rim the bump disappeared. Today I went to a tyre shop & removed the tyre from the rim & checked the inside of the tire. It was 100% perfect. No damage what so ever. Anyway I put that tyre to the rear & I thought of pumping nitrogen so that the tires won't heat up a lot. Is there a need to replace the tire? There aren't any visible damages in the tire. It's 100% perfect.

Edited by NRA95

Thank you for the reply. Yes there was a bump on the outside sidewall where the rim was bent. But when I replaced the rim the bump disappeared. Today I went to a tyre shop & removed the tyre from the rim & checked the inside of the tire. It was 100% perfect. No damage what so ever. Anyway I put that tyre to the rear & I thought of pumping nitrogen so that the tires won't heat up a lot. Is there a need to replace the tire? There aren't any visible damages in the tire. It's 100% perfect.

1. Good call checking the sidewall of the tyre, that totally slipped my mind but I'm glad the good members of this forum (kudos terrabytetango!) pointed this out to you. If you went to a tyre shop and they checked over the sidewall then I don't think there's anything to worry about; especially since you've taken the precaution of moving it to the rear. You should be fine.

2. Also: Don't worry about pumping Nitrogen, its a rip off. Its been discussed many times here and while there are many pro arguments, and some members who do fill their tyres with Nitrogen the overall conclusion was that its just a money-grab and unless the tyre place / your agent; offers it for free don't bother wasting money on it.(But you don't have to take my word for it, Give the forum a quick search and read the posts).

Edited by Kavvz