• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vezel - Rattle During Cold Start

Chris28

This is a common issue in hybrids

Nothing to worry

If so please do clarify why? would be beneficial to everyone

• Like 1

I remember there being a lot of discussion about a cold start rattle for CR-V and Accord in Australia. Since the Vezel is basically as same as the CR-V, this might be the same issue.

If it is, you should be able to find information about it on the web. It was an issue with the VVT system - a solenoid that fails prematurely I think.

• Like 1

15k and the noise started after the 1st service .....oil used is 0W20. Cant be normal cos i used another Vezel with 14k and it never had this noise at cold startup.

Similar to the noise in this

To me it sounds like a timing chain rattling before it catches up oil to lubricate itself. Could it be a bad tensioner? If it is a fault with Variable Timing Control then it should last much longer.

Just read a bit about the common rattle issue and the VTC rattle only lasts for about 2 seconds according to most people who have complained about it, and according to Honda themselves.

Honda has released a service/repair procedure for this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTnufuKpp6c

Service bulletin documentation here.

Note that the documentation says that the VTC actuator issue is just a "probable cause". Could be the things Rumesh mentioned above as well. In any case, you should take your car to Stafford and have them diagnose the issue. They should be aware if this is a known issue.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 2

Just read a bit about the common rattle issue and the VTC rattle only lasts for about 2 seconds according to most people who have complained about it, and according to Honda themselves.

Honda has released a service/repair procedure for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTnufuKpp6c

Service bulletin documentation here.

Note that the documentation says that the VTC actuator issue is just a "probable cause". Could be the things Rumesh mentioned above as well. In any case, you should take your car to Stafford and have them diagnose the issue. They should be aware if this is a known issue.

Thanks for the information.... Stafford used to be excellent but lately looks like the increase of Honda vehicles in the country has contributed to the reduce in quality of service....

FYI.... This noise started after the first service at Stafford... and very recently after a small paint job on a door, i found that they have not even put the beading back in place and damaged the beading while taking it out before painting.

To me it sounds like a timing chain rattling before it catches up oil to lubricate itself. Could it be a bad tensioner? If it is a fault with Variable Timing Control then it should last much longer.

if this was the case then keeping the vehicle on (without starting the engine.... just pressing the start button without breaks) for a few mins and then starting the engine should eliminate the noise isn't it ?

if this was the case then keeping the vehicle on (without starting the engine.... just pressing the start button without breaks) for a few mins and then starting the engine should eliminate the noise isn't it ?

No. you need to run the engine to get the chain lubricated along its whole length. If the chain initially rattles along its longest free span (this can happen if its natural frequency of oscillation is equal,close, or a hamonic of the engine RPM) oil will dampen the rattle. However this is only another possibility in addition to what Davy mentioned above. Does it happen if you immediately switch off after a cold start and restart again for a second time?

No. you need to run the engine to get the chain lubricated along its whole length. If the chain initially rattles along its longest free span (this can happen if its natural frequency of oscillation is equal,close, or a hamonic of the engine RPM) oil will dampen the rattle. However this is only another possibility in addition to what Davy mentioned above. Does it happen if you immediately switch off after a cold start and restart again for a second time?

nope...when i start the engine the second time it's gone.... but one thing i noticed is that the engine is louder than the previous vezel i used.. both same mileage btw (14-15k)

nope...when i start the engine the second time it's gone.... but one thing i noticed is that the engine is louder than the previous vezel i used.. both same mileage btw (14-15k)

Could be due to a bad tensioner but still a bad VTC cannot be ruled out. The VTC should be in locked position when the oil pressure is zero (ie when the engine is stopped). As long as you have some oil left inside the VTC it would not rattle even if it is unlocked. Only way to check this is to open the cam cover and see if it is in locked position. I'm afraid you have to refer the matter to the agent as suggested by Davy above.

Could be due to a bad tensioner but still a bad VTC cannot be ruled out. The VTC should be in locked position when the oil pressure is zero (ie when the engine is stopped). As long as you have some oil left inside the VTC it would not rattle even if it is unlocked. Only way to check this is to open the cam cover and see if it is in locked position. I'm afraid you have to refer the matter to the agent as suggested by Davy above.

Yeah.. gonna get it done on monday...driving to galle tomorrow... do u think that it's safe ?

Yeah.. gonna get it done on monday...driving to galle tomorrow... do u think that it's safe ?

You should be absolutely safe as long as you are on the drive. However, assuming it is due to a faulty VTC, then each time you start the car this rattle will create an additional stress on the timing chain for just 2 seconds. So it will take many starting cycles (perhaps a few 100s) to have a significant impact on the parts.

So basically....this was caused after stafford opened up the engine bay for a checkup at the last service.... i wasn't using the vehicle back then....from that day on-wards the issue just got louder and louder....... trying to get stafford to check it again and fix the bloody thing properly....

There was a time where stafford motors did excellent work and took care of vehicles.....gone are those days... everyone please keep in mind this whenever u wanna take your vehicle to them.... think twice.

This means what they did? Cleaning / tune-up or any other ?????

After coming back from kandy (around 2000KM on the ODO) it started having a misfire and stopped... then refused to start... took it to Stafford.. they opened it up and cleaned the injectors, checked timing....etc...

Edited by Chris28

After coming back from kandy (around 2000KM on the ODO) it started having a misfire and stopped... then refused to start... took it to Stafford.. they opened it up and cleaned the injectors, checked timing....etc...

You observed the issue at 2000 km ODO. Now your vehicle is with 15K+ ODO. Which means you have run the car 13K with this issue.

Is it same for all the time or with increasing trend??

You observed the issue at 2000 km ODO. Now your vehicle is with 15K+ ODO. Which means you have run the car 13K with this issue.

Is it same for all the time or with increasing trend??

I got the vehicle like a month back.. 14+k .. (it's a rental from a guy i have been renting for years) .. according to him the noise started and kept increasing after that particular service.

Guys any reliable place we can get this sorted out from... cos the owner is also reluctant to take it back to stafford.

• 2 weeks later...
So got it finally fixed by Stafford....What they said was it's a manufacturing defect.

Replaced the V-Tech actuator wheel & V-Tech actuator wheel inlet (34k damage)

Thanks everyone for the feedback....

Thanks for reporting back. This could be useful for other Vezel owners.