• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Gear Issue

sovi

Question

Hello friends,

I want support of the auto experts to figure out an issue in my transmission.

It is a normal auto transmission. Problem is when I start the car in the morning & when I put the gear lever to drive, it does not engage.

I have to put to the 1st gear & drive a considerable distance (~75m) & put the transmission to drive, & then it engages properly.

Rivers gear also works fine in the morning.

I face this issue all the mornings but not in the day time( once I park somewhere & then drive).

Could you please help with me guys to figure out what's wrong with my car... :sad-smiley-068:

17 answers to this question

Do you feel the issue has a relation to gear box temperature?

I mean

1. You have the issue in the morning - low temprature

2. After drive 75m no issue - transmission get heated.

3. When you park for small time and drive, still the transmission is at the high temp.

Is this issue came after several parking several hours at day time?

There may be several reasons, but need to clear on by one.

Do you feel the issue has a relation to gear box temperature?

I mean

1. You have the issue in the morning - low temprature

2. After drive 75m no issue - transmission get heated.

3. When you park for small time and drive, still the transmission is at the high temp.

Is this issue came after several parking several hours at day time?

There may be several reasons, but need to clear on by one.

As I explained,

1. You have the issue in the morning - low temprature - But reverse & first gear works fine.

2. After drive 75m no issue - transmission get heated. - No idea

3. When you park for small time and drive, still the transmission is at the high temp. - No machan... I usually keep the car at the park for 6-8 hours.

Is this issue came after several parking several hours at day time?-No
Thanks for your comments & appreciate your future comments too.....

Did not change the ATF since the ATF condition was good.

I don't think it is the answer to asrock's question. However, the point is that if you don't have an idea of when ATF was last changed you should change it regardless of the fluid color or whatever that prompted you to decide the ATF condition was "good". By the time it changes color it could be too late. Same goes for ATF filter (screen) and cleaning of magnets as well. You problem could be due to wear in forward clutch set or drop in ATF pressure or a combination of both. Do you see any ATF leak under the area where the gear box couple with the engine (bell housing)?

• Like 3

I don't think it is the answer to asrock's question. However, the point is that if you don't have an idea of when ATF was last changed you should change it regardless of the fluid color or whatever that prompted you to decide the ATF condition was "good". By the time it changes color it could be too late. Same goes for ATF filter (screen) and cleaning of magnets as well. You problem could be due to wear in forward clutch set or drop in ATF pressure or a combination of both. Do you see any ATF leak under the area where the gear box couple with the engine (bell housing)?

Hello Rumesh,

I forgot to tell that it was bought recently. After buying I did the first service at K___N P__K. Mechanic stated that the ATF is in good condition.

I don't see ATF leaks near bell housing...

As per most of comments I believe that changing the ATF will resolve the problem.... I guess..

Hello Rumesh,

I forgot to tell that it was bought recently. After buying I did the first service at K___N P__K. Mechanic stated that the ATF is in good condition.

I don't see ATF leaks near bell housing...

As per most of comments I believe that changing the ATF will resolve the problem.... I guess..

You could have asked the previous owner if he seemed trustworthy. If you did not have a problem with your transmission then you could have changed ATF and maintained your records from then on. But now you have an issue why don't you search the forum with the key word "nilwala" and find threads where similar issues and remedies have been discussed.

Edited by Rumesh88

Hi Sovi

Why don't you start with changing the gear box oil? It will not cost you much. Sometimes this could be due to lack of thickness in the oil and could be due to low pressure in gear box till it warm up.

My suggestion is try changing the gear box oil (that will be the default answer you will get where ever you go). If that doesnt fix your problem, then get it checked with Auto gear box repair centre like Nilwala as someone mentioned.

Edited by PerfMad
  • Like 1

As I explained,

1. You have the issue in the morning - low temprature - But reverse & first gear works fine.

2. After drive 75m no issue - transmission get heated. - No idea

3. When you park for small time and drive, still the transmission is at the high temp. - No machan... I usually keep the car at the park for 6-8 hours.

Is this issue came after several parking several hours at day time?-No
Thanks for your comments & appreciate your future comments too.....

Then its clear that, transmission is working well when it is hot. No D engaging when it is cold. (Hope that, after engaging D, no issue in down shift and up-shift too)

Yes. Do ATF change as others too recommended. But I feels that there is an issue with oil pressure or something.

The Primera P11 has a version with a Hyper CVT gear box innit ? You sure yours isn't one of them as you mentioned in your first post ? Pay attention to what type of gear box oil you should use.. :)

• Like 2

The Primera P11 has a version with a Hyper CVT gear box innit ? You sure yours isn't one of them as you mentioned in your first post ? Pay attention to what type of gear box oil you should use.. :)

Noted with thanks. Its a normal Auto.

One last thing,Don't make your ATF change the last Resort!

The magic trick is Maintenance!

Noted with thanks.

ATF change would not completely cure the current problem you are experiencing yet will settle the symptoms! It will appear in few months time. Internal rubber oil seals are failing.

But change the oil and watch full waiting is advised as it is cost effective at present and keep some money ready for near future GB repair.

• Like 1