• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Check Engine Blink

dhanuFB15

Dear AL Friends
I am in struggle with an issue on my Allion 240,hope expert AL members will give better solution to escape from this problem....
Here i list my scenario
1. Yesterday after few miles run i saw oil leakage on engine bay. after investigation it is near oil control valve
then i saw it to mechanic and he remove OCV , and sealed with 999 sealant. And also inform me to use water pump and clean previous oil leak areas( not engine area)

2. Then i travel to home without any issue and cleaned oil leak area from water pump and paste 999 sealant near ocv value area thoroughly.

3. Then after few minutes travelling Check Engine bulb start blinking. then i removed battery wire(-) around 20 mins and start. Then Check Engine bulb goes off. Again i start driving another 20 mins it shows again.

4 . Then i went to mechanic again and scan. it shows VVT system malfunction error, then he erased it and after another 20 mins driving engine lights ON.
I notice after 10-20 mins driving that light blink

after i search forums i found two reasons.

1. OCV issue

2. VVT sensor issue

My dear AL friends what will be the issue behind this..Hope u all help me

Thanks

Did your mechanic clean the OCV filter? It is a small metal screen with a plastic frame sealed with a 7mm (or is it 6mm?) allenkey head screw. When it is removed for cleaning you can see the extent of sludge formed. This will give you an idea of the sludge formation in the rest of the engine. I do not see a reason to seal the OCV with a sealant for it comes with an O-ring. If the leak is through the O-ring simply replace it. You can find O-rings of various sizes in the market.

Edit: Change your mechanic. He does not seem to know what he is doing.

It is highly unlikely that the leakage is through the OCV O-ring because it is very tight. Instead it could be through the cam cover seal. Also get your PCV valve checked for possible clogging.

Another warning on removal of the OCV filter. Get the mechanic to use the correct tool (allenkey of the right size with an attachment fro leverage. Otherwise he will spoil the screw head. Then the filter could be stuck on the engine housing. Take care not to break it because although you can replace it you may leave broken pieces inside.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 2

Did your mechanic clean the OCV filter? It is a small metal screen with a plastic frame sealed with a 7mm (or is it 6mm?) allenkey head screw. When it is removed for cleaning you can see the extent of sludge formed. This will give you an idea of the sludge formation in the rest of the engine. I do not see a reason to seal the OCV with a sealant for it comes with an O-ring. If the leak is through the O-ring simply replace it. You can find O-rings of various sizes in the market.

Thanks my friend.

Once saw the leak what he did was remove OCV from Allen key(One another thing once he removed one part of OCV comes out and one stay on it, then he took second part of Valve again) combine both and paste 999 sealant and fixed.

I saw that part and not seen lot of sludge on it.

anyway i think change the mechanic please kindly give answers to this questions

Important thing is why start leak from it?

can i fix it without replace OCV?

Is that ok to run without repair it (another few KMs)

Thanks for helping me

It is highly unlikely that the leakage is through the OCV O-ring because it is very tight. Instead it could be through the cam cover seal. Also get your PCV valve checked for possible clogging.

Another warning on removal of the OCV filter. Get the mechanic to use the correct tool (allenkey of the right size with an attachment fro leverage. Otherwise he will spoil the screw head. Then the filter could be stuck on the engine housing. Take care not to break it because although you can replace it you may leave broken pieces inside.

I saw that leak for OCV allen key head...SO it may be from OCV. I saw he use proper allen key for it, but it come out as two parts, then he combine it , sealed and fix it,

Is Remove OCV sludge and clean it will help me?

OCV is this http://imgur.com/ZXfFZXI

this is the value that removed friend....

If that is the case and if it came out in two parts while mechanic (the makabass) was removing it, you will have no other option but to replace it. The cost was something like 10k at the agent a few years back. You can run the car temporarily without VVT function but it will not show up the same throttle response as before.. If you want to confirm the functioning of the OCV after removing it get the mechanic to apply 12V momentarily to the two terminals at the back and you would see the plunger in the middle moving back and forth.

Edited by Rumesh88

If that is the case and if it came out in two parts while mechanic (the makabass) was removing it, you will have no other option but to replace it. The cost was something like 10k at the agent a few years back. You can run the car temporarily without VVT function but it will not show up the same throttle response as before.. If you want to confirm the functioning of the OCV after removing it get the mechanic to apply 12V momentarily to the two terminals at the back and you would see the plunger in the middle moving back and forth.

Dear Ramesh

I am very sorry for misunderstand..Actually he removed

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af338/kenshinx84/DSC01348.jpg

OCV Filter from Allen Key. Comment Please

Dear Ramesh

I am very sorry for misunderstand..Actually he removed

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af338/kenshinx84/DSC01348.jpg

OCV Filter from Allen Key. Comment Please

Then it is the filter that he removed. Why would he want to repair and reinsert a broken filter? It should not cost much. Only problem is as I said before there could be broken pieces stuck inside. My suggestion is to remove the filter, clean the area inside as much as practically possible, put the allenkey head back and run the car a few kms without the filter and see if you get the CEL indication. If you get it there is a problem beyond the filter otherwise simply replace it.

Edit: If you happen to replace the filter make sure the mechanic follow the correct procedure. Filter should be first inserted into the hole in the allenkey head and inserted to the engine head and the screw is hand-tightened before finally tightening with the allen key. Otherwise the filter may get crushed inside and you would never know.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

Then it is the filter that he removed. Why would he want to repair and reinsert a broken filter? It should not cost much. Only problem is as I said before there could be broken pieces stuck inside. My suggestion is to remove the filter, clean the area inside as much as practically possible, put the allenkey head back and run the car a few kms without the filter and see if you get the CEL indication. If you get it there is a problem beyond the filter otherwise simply replace it.

Edit: If you happen to replace the filter make sure the mechanic follow the correct procedure. Filter should be first inserted into the hole in the allenkey head and inserted to the engine head and the screw is hand-tightened before finally tightening with the allen key. Otherwise the filter may get crushed inside and you would never know.

Thanks My Dear Friend..One other question i have , what is mean by VVT Sensor ......and can we exactly tell where is the actual error or issue from scan ? What is difference between VVT Sensor , OC valve and OCV Filter

Please tell me difference(VVT sensor and OC valve is same ?)

Edited by dhanuFB15

Thanks My Dear Friend..One other question i have , what is mean by VVT Sensor ......and can we exactly tell where is the actual error or issue from scan ? What is difference between VVT Sensor , OC valve and OCV Filter

Please tell me difference(VVT sensor and OC valve is same ?)

VVT sensor/ Solenoid is mainly used to improve the performance of the engine while increasing the fuel efficiency. Apart from it's main expectations , it's expected to have a smoothness when idling. Yes your guess was right. VVT solenoid and the OCV is the same thing.

VVT sensor/ Solenoid is mainly used to improve the performance of the engine while increasing the fuel efficiency. Apart from it's main expectations , it's expected to have a smoothness when idling. Yes your guess was right. VVT solenoid and the OCV is the same thing.

Thanks Friend. If VVT solenoid or OCV Fail or blocked can be blink Check Engine light? if OCV blocked or an error it is possible to clean it?

What is function of OCV filter ?

Please kindly let me know

Thanks Friend. If VVT solenoid or OCV Fail or blocked can be blink Check Engine light? if OCV blocked or an error it is possible to clean it?

What is function of OCV filter ?

Please kindly let me know

There is something wrong with your reasoning in assuming the OCV is blocked. Your problem began when a mechanic broke the OCV filter when he tried to remove it and after he re-inserted the same one along with a sealant. That is not the way to do it and you may very well have a man-made fault to deal with now. You better get this corrected first before you worry about what the Check Engine light says. OCV filter does what its name suggests. It simply filters the oil that is going to the OCV valve. If you suspect you have broken pieces and sealant blocking the oil path then it may be worthwhile to get a mechanic to remove the OCV valve and blow compressed air from the valve side to see if any debris is stuck inside. If you have oil sludge formed inside then you will have to dismantle the cam cover and VVT mechanism to clean it.

The fault code you get as VVT sensor fault is a generic code which is interpreted by the scanner. What you have in your engine is a cam position sensor which detect the shift in cam timing when the OCV is activated and if the shift is not within the expected limits it gives out a fault code. The fault can be in the cam sensor, or due to oil pressure not reaching the OCV and the VVT mechanism, OCV or VVT mechanism fault, or even due to a fault in the ECU. This is why I am asking you to get the things messed up by the mechanic corrected first.

BTW you are very much convinced that the leak is from the OCV filter allen key head. This one come with a fiber washer which seals off the filter. Was the fiber washer in tact when it was removed?

Edited by Rumesh88

There is something wrong with your reasoning in assuming the OCV is blocked. Your problem began when a mechanic broke the OCV filter when he tried to remove it and after he re-inserted the same one along with a sealant. That is not the way to do it and you may very well have a man-made fault to deal with now. You better get this corrected first before you worry about what the Check Engine light says. OCV filter does what its name suggests. It simply filters the oil that is going to the OCV valve. If you suspect you have broken pieces and sealant blocking the oil path then it may be worthwhile to get a mechanic to remove the OCV valve and blow compressed air from the valve side to see if any debris is stuck inside. If you have oil sludge formed inside then you will have to dismantle the cam cover and VVT mechanism to clean it.

The fault code you get as VVT sensor fault is a generic code which is interpreted by the scanner. What you have in your engine is a cam position sensor which detect the shift in cam timing when the OCV is activated and if the shift is not within the expected limits it gives out a fault code. The fault can be in the cam sensor, or due to oil pressure not reaching the OCV and the VVT mechanism, OCV or VVT mechanism fault, or even due to a fault in the ECU. This is why I am asking you to get the things messed up by the mechanic corrected first.

BTW you are very much convinced that the leak is from the OCV filter allen key head. This one come with a fiber washer which seals off the filter. Was the fiber washer in tact when it was removed?

Thanks My Friend ....Today i check it with mechanic and found, previously mechanic removed OCV aka VVT Sensor. On that time it's removed as two parts. First part (narrow long part) and Second part(wide Short part) then what mechanic does was combine both part, sealant it. Then after error comes.

i checked OCV filter by removing allen key and cleaned it as well. Today i decide to replace OCV aka VVT Sensor by Toyota lanka. I will inform when after replace it.

Thanks goes to all AL members to helping me to escape such situation, specially Mr. Ramesh who help me lot even beyond the forum through the phone as well to identify the problem,guidance to solve even under extreme busy condition,This is the value of people who helping each others even without meet each others. Thanks again Mr.Ramesh and all AL friends

Today i replaced ocv and problem solve. It's around 8.5k at toyota lanka. I checked several other shops in panchi as well.genuine one is 9.5k there.

Thanks again all AL friends specially Mr Ramesh (ramesh888) for massive support

Today i replaced ocv and problem solve. It's around 8.5k at toyota lanka. I checked several other shops in panchi as well.genuine one is 9.5k there.

Thanks again all AL friends specially Mr Ramesh (ramesh888) for massive support

Wait....you are saying TL had it cheaper than Panchi. :0 That's impossible. :D

Wait....you are saying TL had it cheaper than Panchi. :0 That's impossible. :D

What's more impossible is I paid over Rs. 9,000 to TL to buy the same item 4 years back. Are they on a seasonal promotion?

@ DhanuFB15 - Does the Toyota nomenclature and part number of the OCV you bought go as VALVE ASSY, CAM 15330-21011

BTW can you please post a picture of the broken OCV? This being a very sturdy part I am a bit curious to know how it got broken unless the mechanic used a 4lb hammer on it :D. Also keep monitoring the oil leak because it is very unlikely that it was from OCV unless oil leaked in to the solenoid part of the OCV due to a manufacturing defect.

Edited by Rumesh88

What's more impossible is I paid over Rs. 9,000 to TL to buy the same item 4 years back. Are they on a seasonal promotion?

@ DhanuFB15 - Does the Toyota nomenclature and part number of the OCV you bought go as VALVE ASSY, CAM 15330-21011

BTW can you please post a picture of the broken OCV? This being a very sturdy part I am a bit curious to know how it got broken unless the mechanic used a 4lb hammer on it :D. Also keep monitoring the oil leak because it is very unlikely that it was from OCV unless oil leaked in to the solenoid part of the OCV due to a manufacturing defect.

Yes Ramesh i brought exactly same part number u mention here. I will paste picture asap. anyway i am on continues monitoring on any oil leaks available. upto now it's fine and check engine light off as well. Thanks for massive help keep in touch ,,.,

Dhanushka

Edited by dhanuFB15