• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Timing Belt Change Alto 800

nrmarachchi

Question

15 answers to this question

First time I heard of a replacement being recommended for such a new (and low mileage) car.

The usual timing belt replacement interval is 100,000km and I doubt it's any different for an Alto.

Was it the agent who recommended this? Is it possible that they meant DRIVE belt?

Edited by Davy

Agree with Davy but I have seen a Maruti 800 snapping its belt at 50K kms (first owner car hence can trust the odo reading). Similar maintenance issues has been discussed under http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/17003-vehicle-service-maruti-suzuki-alto/. Why not inspect the belt and tensioner every 10,000kms from now on and change both at 70,000 - 80,000kms which is in another 4 years time?.

BTW did they ask you to change it after an inspection?

Edited by Rumesh88

Thanks for the replies.

@Davy, it's the time belt not drive belt.

@Rumesh, I used to service from the A*W all the time. they are asking to do this (they ask to change not to inspect and change). But in the manual it says to change it every 100,000 kms. they don't mention a time limit for that.

See the alto manual here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/541447/Suzuki-Alto.html?page=84

i'm also thinking of wait for some time and change it but they said it's a risk.

Do you know a way to check the condition of time belt without disassembling the engine?

/Rukshan

One of A*W agent @Rathapura too had said to replace timing belt once 40,000 km. But both Maruti & Alto manuals (section 9-2) says Replace every 1,00,000 km. Think they create a phobia in new customers and trying to earn.

Also heard that if timing belt break, it will not damage the engine like Japan vehicles. Expert can comment on this too please ?

Thanks for the replies.

@Rumesh, I used to service from the A*W all the time. they are asking to do this (they ask to change not to inspect and change). But in the manual it says to change it every 100,000 kms. they don't mention a time limit for that.

See the alto manual here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/541447/Suzuki-Alto.html?page=84

i'm also thinking of wait for some time and change it but they said it's a risk.

Do you know a way to check the condition of time belt without disassembling the engine?

/Rukshan

Running engine is always risk and any component could be fail at any time due to material and any other issues. 100,000 km factor for timing belt is introduced by taking those in to account. There may be rare incident that timing belt could be damage earlier than that and it should not be considered as risk.

More than 1 million Alto's produced now and if 4 -5 fails before 100,000 km, still its withing "six sigma" range. :sport-smiley-004::speechless-smiley-006:

Appreciate that, at least you read the manual before following this buggers. It says to inspect in every 20,000 km or 2 years.

Didn't you noticed that, Engine oil and filter should be changed every 10,000 km or 1 year which ever come first. This cars manufactured in India and road and environment conditions are worst than Sri Lanka. But our buggers will always telling you to do it less than 5,000 km to reduce the risk.

Edited by gayanath

One more thing,

The manual says, adjust valve clearance every 20,000 km.

No any service bugger (even agents) will do or promote to do this in Sri Lanka but ask to do cleaning (so called tune up) for every 20,000 km which has not mentioned in the manual. Because, to adjust valve clearance, they need qualified mechanics and will cost more, but for cleaning, they can earn money easily employing average guy. ......

Thanks for the replies.

/Rukshan

There is a risk in everything including driving a car on the road for that matter. If you lose sleep over the timing belt, then listen to the agent's advise and change it. However given that the recommendation is to change it every 100,000 kms but inspect it every 20,000 kms in the meantime, my approach would be to inspect it once every year just to be safe - but that's me. You don't need to disassemble the engine but would have to take out the crank pulley and the timing belt cover to inspect the belt and the tensioner pulley. Of course if you choose the agent to do it it would cost more to do so every year so better to change the belt instead. For inspection of the belt and the tensioner you need not go to the agent. Any mechanic with reasonable skills can do it.

Running engine is always risk and any component could be fail at any time due to material and any other issues. 100,000 km factor for timing belt is introduced by taking those in to account. There may be rare incident that timing belt could be damage earlier than that and it should not be considered as risk.

More than 1 million Alto's produced now and if 4 -5 fails before 100,000 km, still its withing "six sigma" range. :sport-smiley-004::speechless-smiley-006:

Appreciate that, at least you read the manual before following this buggers. It says to inspect in every 20,000 km or 2 years.

Didn't you noticed that, Engine oil and filter should be changed every 10,000 km or 1 year which ever come first. This cars manufactured in India and road and environment conditions are worst than Sri Lanka. But our buggers will always telling you to do it less than 5,000 km to reduce the risk.

HI,

I think for doing inspection we have to remove the engine, right? Do you know a way to check the condition without removing the engine?

One more thing,

The manual says, adjust valve clearance every 20,000 km.

No any service bugger (even agents) will do or promote to do this in Sri Lanka but ask to do cleaning (so called tune up) for every 20,000 km which has not mentioned in the manual. Because, to adjust valve clearance, they need qualified mechanics and will cost more, but for cleaning, they can earn money easily employing average guy. ......

Yes, they dont mention about valve clearance instead they ask to do Engine Tuneups. I did one recently and it costs Rs. 8000/=

HI,

I think for doing inspection we have to remove the engine, right? Do you know a way to check the condition without removing the engine?

As Rumesh88 said, It's not a big task. No need to remove the engine. Only need to remove the front cover. Any qualified + experienced mechanic can do it.

HI,

No Not. You dont need to remove the engine to change the timing belt. See following images. Changing the timing belt is not a big job / big repair. Dont fear about it.

844059d1321625654-alto-issues-f10d_timin

844060d1321625654-alto-issues-f10d_timin

844061d1321625654t-alto-issues-f10d_timi

844062d1321625654t-alto-issues-f10d_timi

844063d1321625654-alto-issues-f10d_timin

844064d1321625654t-alto-issues-f10d_timi

844065d1321625654t-alto-issues-f10d_timi