• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Odometer Value Change...

pontiac_gto

Hi all, I have replaced speedometer in my Honda es8 due to some electrical issues. Now the current mileage is higher than the actual mileage. So I need to roll back to actual value. Heard someone in Colombo area doing the job. Can someone tell me his contact and can we do this by our self.

Hi all, I have replaced speedometer in my Honda es8 due to some electrical issues. Now the current mileage is higher than the actual mileage. So I need to roll back to actual value. Heard someone in Colombo area doing the job. Can someone tell me his contact and can we do this by our self.

There is a separate hell designed for that person in colombo area to go!

isn't this illegal? can't anyone sue him?

• Like 1

It's not illegal. It's unethical.

But someone knowingly selling a car with a tampered odometer probably can be sued for selling goods under false claims.

Rather than waste time in court, you're better off being a more vigilant and educated car buyer. Remember, even if the genuine mileage is low, that doesn't mean the vehicle is good.

It's not illegal. It's unethical.

But someone knowingly selling a car with a tampered odometer probably can be sued for selling goods under false claims.

Rather than waste time in court, you're better off being a more vigilant and educated car buyer. Remember, even if the genuine mileage is low, that doesn't mean the vehicle is good.

it's unethical but no one cant do anything in low regarding such case.these day vehicle experts dont care about mileage , and only check condition.

if the odo value now is higher in a significant amount, lets say like 50, 60k you can always show the next buyer the emission report of the previous year...which shows the true value in the previous year... It is very unlikely anyone would travel 60k per year unless you are taxi driver...

same way you can check the emission report when buying a car, to see if the odo has been tampered with. recently I went to see a 99 model presea that had an odo value of 126K km's on the board and I asked for the emission report which stated an odo value of 322k Km's... (this method only applied if the odo has been tampered after the emission test was conducted)

Watchman, thanks for the reply. I searched some sites and this job can be done by reprogramming the eeprom. This Is not easy job and need some professional knowledge. Or there are many tools to do this. I just need to try this out so if someone have tried this before please let me know.

• If your said "some electrical issues" not effect to the original chip inside the old meter cluster, a electrician/electronic technician can re solder original chip to the new meter cluster. That will solve your problem easily.

But you will face difficulties when trying to explain this matter to next buyer. He can think you hacked the meter value, though you are genuine.

So give the old meter to the new buyer (Watchman proposed) with emission reports (PreseaLover proposed) is the best option and he will see you as a gentleman. Thats what you can earn from the new buyer other than money.

Rather than risk frying the new panel and/or more electrical parts down the line, wouldn't it make sense to save the old panel like the guys suggested? You had a genuine reason to fix a new panel and I think a prospective buyer would appreciate that.

Suppose you do wind it back and tell that to the buyer, what are the chances that he would believe that you actually stopped at the right mileage?

I swapped out new gauges in both my bikes and I just kept the old ones in a box. If I sell them, the new owner will get the old gauges to prove actual mileage.

Dad's car had the same issue only the other way round - when the meter cluster was replaced the mileage was reduced and abnormally low. Many years later we sold it and the buyer turns out to be a Re-seller. Few weeks later saw the car for sale on the quick site and the guy had increased the mileage. So bottom-line is mileage really isn't a good measure at all. Just like a woman's age it shouldn't be believed.

• Like 3

its not a criminal offense. Police won't really bother.

It can be taken for civil litigation though but who will invest their time and money for that?

It is an offence under Consumer Affairs Act 9 of 2003 to trade goods with false representations. If a consumer reports to CAA with evidence that the odometer has been tampered with, the CAA can take the vendor to task. You need not spend money but it will cost you a couple of visits to the CAA.

• Like 3

It is an offence under Consumer Affairs Act 9 of 2003 to trade goods with false representations. If a consumer reports to CAA with evidence that the odometer has been tampered with, the CAA can take the vendor to task. You need not spend money but it will cost you a couple of visits to the CAA.

Good point. Does it apply to second hand (used) items sold by a individual who is not registered as a business?

This question is a bit academic because the said individual is actually registered his business and is a key member of Sri Lanka car sale karayo's association or something.

Good point. Does it apply to second hand (used) items sold by a individual who is not registered as a business?

This question is a bit academic because the said individual is actually registered his business and is a key member of Sri Lanka car sale karayo's association or something.

In principle it should apply but since a second hand item is sold on a as-it-is basis whether the provisions in the Act can be effectively enforced becomes a bit questionable. As for the requirement of being registered as a business is immaterial because I know an individual, a self-employed repairman of electronic equipment, was summoned by CAA on a client's complain. But in this car sale fellow's case it is clearly possible to take it up with CAA but the complain should come from someone who is party to the fraud.