• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Suddenly Shut Down

Ted

Question

Hi all,

I have a premio 260 with 54000 milage. After a 60km journey car was stopped about 30 mins and was started and in idle state with parking gear and AC on. After about 10 mins engine suddnly shut down and in the meter panel the engine alarm bulb was lit in amber color. Then i started the engine again and it was started without any problem. Does anyone experienced similar? If anybody knows a possible reason what might be it???? Your comments are highly appreciated. Thanks.

12 answers to this question

Hi all,

I have a premio 260 with 54000 milage. After a 60km journey car was stopped about 30 mins and was started and in idle state with parking gear and AC on. After about 10 mins engine suddnly shut down and in the meter panel the engine alarm bulb was lit in amber color. Then i started the engine again and it was started without any problem. Does anyone experienced similar? If anybody knows a possible reason what might be it???? Your comments are highly appreciated. Thanks.

Here " car was stoppd abt 30 mins and atarted again" in da sense dat i stoped the car and started after 30 mins.

Hi all,

yea same thing happen to me,,, mine also a premio 260 - 2013,

this happened while i was driving, suddenly engine shut down,,, and car was just gliding, n luckily since car was moving power steering and breaking was there and i avoided and accident, and right after 30 Seconds engine started automatically and i was moving again.... happened only once,,, and my milage is 30K,

Hi all,

Get your car scanned. The error code that resulted in the "Check Engine" light will still be saved in the engine ECU error log. This is the starting point of your diagnosis. Based on the error, further action can be taken.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

This may be OT,

But if 10-15 yrs back if we said car shut down, it was bit strange. By that that time we usually shut down computers and cars stopped or stalled. But now shutting down a car became normal. I wonder the perception about cars were changed due to we got more close to computers or cars got more close to computers!!!!

Get your car scanned. The error code that resulted in the "Check Engine" light will still be saved in the engine ECU error log. This is the starting point of your diagnosis. Based on the error, further action can be taken.

Happened to me in a 121 engine which suddenly stopped in the middle of the road once in a blue moon but the exact cause could not be traced for there was no stored error code. Agent recommended an overhaul (I can't blame them! It could have solved the problem anyway but left a hole in my pocket) but the fault disappeared after a throttle body/injectors/PCV/OCV filter/MAF sensor clean up and replacement of injector washers (a few cracks were visible), air filter and of course the plugs. It never surfaced again until I sold the car after more than two years of daily use and another 30,000 kms. If there is a stored code then it would be easy but otherwise you may have to blindly do a tune up/scan and hope for the best.

Happened to me in a 121 engine which suddenly stopped in the middle of the road once in a blue moon but the exact cause could not be traced for there was no stored error code. Agent recommended an overhaul (I can't blame them! It could have solved the problem anyway but left a hole in my pocket) but the fault disappeared after a throttle body/injectors/PCV/OCV filter/MAF sensor clean up and replacement of injector washers (a few cracks were visible), air filter and of course the plugs. It never surfaced again until I sold the car after more than two years of daily use and another 30,000 kms. If there is a stored code then it would be easy but otherwise you may have to blindly do a tune up/scan and hope for the best.

Yes, totally agreed Rumesh. A good fuel system clean-up goes a long way though. This is why it doesn't hurt to do a "tune-up" as part of an initial diagnosis of most EFI problems. Especially the ones that cannot be diagnosed through a scan.

In this case, OP is lucky because the ECU has identified an issue and indicated it through the "Check Engine" light.

Remember when cars had no computers and we knew the exact reason why the engine shut off?

Yep. But it was bit difficult to find the reason as no error code. Also no history available as no saved logs.

Edited by kusumsiri

Yes, totally agreed Rumesh. A good fuel system clean-up goes a long way though. This is why it doesn't hurt to do a "tune-up" as part of an initial diagnosis of most EFI problems. Especially the ones that cannot be diagnosed through a scan.

In this case, OP is lucky because the ECU has identified an issue and indicated it through the "Check Engine" light.

Rumesh88/Davy

can you guys recommend a place for full fuel system clean up for Premio 240. 2002. 120k milage

Thanks

Rumesh88/Davy

can you guys recommend a place for full fuel system clean up for Premio 240. 2002. 120k milage

Thanks

You should be able to find info about many places if you search the forum.

Example (from post #20 onwards):

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/3886-after-an-engine-tune-up/?p=278631