• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Clicking Noise When Pressing Brake In Park Mode

4DR5

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out.
I have a 2014 Mitsubishi Lance Ex (GLS), and I just noticed that when I press on the brake pedal, while the car is in park (without shifting to any gear), I hear a loud clicking noise. I do not hear any clicking noise at any other time when pressing the brakes. It specifically only clicks when I press the brake pedal while the car is in park and turned on. It seems like the clicking noise is coming from inside the center console or shift.
I do not remember ever hearing this clicking noise before, and it's pretty loud and noticeable.
Does anyone have an idea if this is normal, or what the issue could be?
Thanks
4DR5

I believe this is coming from the shift lever locking mechanism. In order to move the lever out of the "P" position, the ignition should be ON and the brake pedal should be pressed. It is when both these conditions are met that the shifter is unlocked. This is done to prevent damage to the transmission.

While there can be a slight click heard from the centre console, a loud noise is not acceptable IMO. My advice is to take your car to a mechanic (or better, UniMo) and have it checked. There is a small spring that keeps the latch in place and it might have come off.

• Like 2

hi, sound comes even if you don't shift gear...but every time you press brakes while at the parking mode

You don't have to shift for the shift lock to engage or disengage. Simply pressing the brake pedal disengages the lock. Letting go of the brake pedal engages the lock, so that the shifter can't be moved out of P. The noise you're hearing is most probably this mechanism switching on and off.

EDIT:

Just checked the CVT workshop manual for the Lancer EX (shared here. Look for the document named GR00004800-23A.pdf), and it looks like the shift interlock mechanism is operated by a cable (on some vehicles this is operated by a solenoid). The mechanism is pretty straightforward and it might be that yours just needs adjustment. The cable is a spring-adjustable one.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 12/14/2015 at 11:44 AM, 4DR5 said:

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out.

I have a 2014 Mitsubishi Lance Ex (GLS), and I just noticed that when I press on the brake pedal, while the car is in park (without shifting to any gear), I hear a loud clicking noise. I do not hear any clicking noise at any other time when pressing the brakes. It specifically only clicks when I press the brake pedal while the car is in park and turned on. It seems like the clicking noise is coming from inside the center console or shift.

I do not remember ever hearing this clicking noise before, and it's pretty loud and noticeable.

Does anyone have an idea if this is normal, or what the issue could be?

Thanks

4DR5

Hi, i change my tires yesterday and the same exact clicking sound came up, i drove my car for 3 years and it was the first time i heard this sound, its a lancer gls 2009, mechanic say its normal, would really like to know how you managed yours, and what do you think of this car in brief, many thanks 

• 6 months later...

i have just experienced same problem ,, knocking sound coming under gear lever cover when i press my brake petal while the car ignition power is on or  car idling and gear lever on  parking or neutral mode , Audi A4 1.8 T  2013, i have been driving this car for the past 6 years , nver heard tht noise previously 

Edited by shakes

On 5/22/2020 at 6:39 PM, shakes said:

i have just experienced same problem ,, knocking sound coming under gear lever cover when i press my brake petal while the car ignition power is on or  car idling and gear lever on  parking or neutral mode , Audi A4 1.8 T  2013, i have been driving this car for the past 6 years , nver heard tht noise previously 

No big deal, its probably your shifter solenoid engaging (don't think you should hear it in when the shifter is in N though). Read above ?its been explained quite well by multiple members. The reason you are hearing it now in a pronounced manner vs before, is due to wear. 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1