• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wild Elephants On The Road, Any Experience ?

eyepea

Raja mawatha Road is one of the most beautiful pieces of Road that I have seen in Sri Lanka, other one is Mahaoya - maduruoya stretch.spectacular view with elephants.

Regarding Raja-mawatha, there are

Wild elephants but they are so friendly. No direct attacks, such hungry animals though.

PS-there are few large potholes on the road recently.maintenance have been abandoned by YAHAPALANE people. Go there quickly beacuse it's going to be bad Road soon and that is some spectacular view you get in SL.

It seems to be the fad to blame everything on the yahapalane now :D

you do realize the government itself has little to do with maintaining the road right? :P

• Like 1

Raja mawatha road condition is not bad. Only few places there are some but will not disturb your enjoying ride.

Yes there are two good places to eat after the police check point. We enjoyed tasty roties. :D

Raja mawatha road condition is not bad. Only few places there are some but will not disturb your enjoying ride.

Yes there are two good places to eat after the police check point. We enjoyed tasty roties. :D

Nice to know they still exist . Anyway I have travelled by bus from Badulla to Kandy a few times and as I can remember, the joint they stop for tea was also quite good. It was near Meegahakiula.

It seems to be the fad to blame everything on the yahapalane now :D

you do realize the government itself has little to do with maintaining the road right? :P

I do travel on particular piece of Road twice a month.and for some unknown reason the potholes were patchworked by someone earlier. Currently it seems not happening,the road is still great, unless there are some unexpected massive potholes which can break your suspension.

Road seems neglected on maintainance,I can list numbers of roads now going on zero maintenance, don't know how it happens, but it happens.

I do travel on particular piece of Road twice a month.and for some unknown reason the potholes were patchworked by someone earlier. Currently it seems not happening,the road is still great, unless there are some unexpected massive potholes which can break your suspension. Road seems neglected on maintainance,I can list numbers of roads now going on zero maintenance, don't know how it happens, but it happens.

Properly built roads don't need to be 'maintained' year in and year out. Instead of blaming 'yahapalane' for everything, try blaming the people who built them badly in the first place.

• 7 months later...

Old thread, but I suppose the info may be useful to some, even now.

(I never got to make the trip on the A12 last Dec and last few school holidays went elsewhere. May be perhaps next school holiday will take the A12 :) )

Heard of an elephant attacking a van on the A12 road a few days ago.

Some of you may have seen the news, and some of you may have not.

http://www.adaderana.lk/news/36684/wild-elephant-attack-on-van-death-toll-climbs-to-2

http://www.hirunews.lk/141588/child-succumb-to-his-injuries-following-karuwalagaswewa-elephant-attack

I suppose the time of the incident, speed and ignoring warnings are noteworthy.

https://www.google.lk/maps/place/Mee+Oya+Bridge/@8.0454385,79.9226903,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3afd182900a23283:0xb584d150724a752e!8m2!3d8.0452444!4d79.9220932

On google street view near Mee Oya bridge, can see an electric fence on one side of the road clearly, but did not see on the other side. May be I missed it. Hmm just wondered how the elephants get to the road.

• 3 months later...

For those who may be interested...

Went on A12 few days ago, passed the elephant areas may be about 7:30pm. Did not come across any elephants though. I suppose that is early for any to be about.

Btw some place between putlam and aunuradapura (forget exact place) one lane is under repair. But not a concern as there was hardly any traffic.