• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Stops When I Turn The Ac On

autocruise

Question

When i was driving may be like a week back engine suddenly stopped and when i started it back again it was ok. Suddenly this happened like a few times again yesterday. i went to the garage and they said a coil was short and i replaced the coil and did a tuneup as well.

once that was complete check engine appeared and the scan showed something like the fuel pressure low or similar and the mechanic said i might have to change the fuel pump and it might not giving pressure when i turn the AC on.

I still didn't change the pump as he said to run a bit and see. but now every time i switch the AC on the engine stops. Car runs perfectly as long as the AC is off.

Can this be a fuel pump issue? no point changing the pump if that's not the exact issue. I am confused as to what to do.

Appreciate any insight as to what would the issue possibly be?

12 answers to this question

When i was driving may be like a week back engine suddenly stopped and when i started it back again it was ok. Suddenly this happened like a few times again yesterday. i went to the garage and they said a coil was short and i replaced the coil and did a tuneup as well.

once that was complete check engine appeared and the scan showed something like the fuel pressure low or similar and the mechanic said i might have to change the fuel pump and it might not giving pressure when i turn the AC on.

I still didn't change the pump as he said to run a bit and see. but now every time i switch the AC on the engine stops. Car runs perfectly as long as the AC is off.

Can this be a fuel pump issue? no point changing the pump if that's not the exact issue. I am confused as to what to do.

Appreciate any insight as to what would the issue possibly be?

This is another example of our mechanics who are just saying to replace the parts without investigating the issue.

Is this (engine stopping while switch on the AC) happening while idling or both running and idling????

This is another example of our mechanics who are just saying to replace the parts without investigating the issue.

Is this (engine stopping while switch on the AC) happening while idling or both running and idling????

What if doctors also treat people the way these mechanics give solutions to this kind of problems?

eyes turning yellow - liver transplant

having chest pains- cardiac transplant

difficulty in passing urine - kidney transplant :D

Still the OP didnt reply to this thread with the car model & year and is it auto gear or manual. If he can identify the compressor clutch relay, he can remove that and try to turn on the A/C. Sometimes the condensor fan motor may have a short too. It is very rare an auto gear car will stall in this situation.

Still we cant tell anything unless the car model is told and the type of A/C system. Whether one common fan or seperate condemsor & radiator fans!

Hi All. Sorry for the delay as I was busy getting things sorted.

Sorry I should have mentioned my car model in the first post itself, my bad. Its a nissan n16 and as Rumesh88 and others mentioned it was the compressor stuck.

Replaced the compressor and did a AC service and ran like 30kms and so far the engine didn't stop and seems its sorted.

I am a bit worried as early today morning when i started the check engine came up in the 1st KM the car wasnt running that smooth and after i stopped and started the engine the check engine was off and everything was normal.

lets see if the same thing happens tomorrow morning, if so could it be the pressure of petrol pump?

btw thanks all for the comments, was very useful appreciate it :)

The error code that resulted in the check engine light should be saved in the ECU error log. A scan will reveal what the issue is, so better get a scan done as soon as possible.

The check engine and AC compressor issue are two different issues IMO.

Error code if I am not mistaken is P0172 and this came right after a tuneup where injectors were removed and fixed and additionally wurth fuel system cleaner was filled to the fuel tank. just wondering if all these had an impact to the error code to pop up once and to not come up again.

Edited by autocruise

Error code if I am not mistaken is P0172 and this came right after a tuneup where injectors were removed and fixed and additionally wurth fuel system cleaner was filled to the fuel tank. just wondering if all these had an impact to the error code to pop up once and to not come up again.

Adding fuel system cleaner to the tank might have caused dirt and gunk in the tank/fuel pump assembly to get lodged inside the fuel filter, causing low pressure at the engine end.

Verify if the check engine light (that came on during the second occasion) is related to low fuel pressure. If so, the fuel pump assembly should be taken out, the filter cleaned/replaced.

What if doctors also treat people the way these mechanics give solutions to this kind of problems? eyes turning yellow - liver transplant having chest pains- cardiac transplant difficulty in passing urine - kidney transplant :D

Ha ha......definitely Finally all major parts of a car replaced but issue is same.......