• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Allion 240 Noise Under The Dashboard

ViKARLL

Question

Dear All,

I am using a Toyota Allion 240 (2004) for the past couple of years. About three years back, an occasional rattling noise was heard under the dashboard, somewhere below the meter cluster. It was not that intriguing so was not attended to. Especially for the fear that the garage fellows would obviously want to remove the whole front panel along with the centre console etc. and the fastening clips etc. would create more noise once reinstalled.

But now, there is a severe grinding noise that comes from somewhere from the centre, behind the AC control panel. This sound is very mush like a relay snapping ON/OFF rapidly and comes occasionally, mostly in the mornings.

Is there anyone with the same experience? if so, what action was taken?

Many thanks for any kind advice please,

ViKARLL

15 answers to this question

As I told before the noise is there only in the early morning. When I checked it seemed to be coming from the motor that drives the temp. control. (marked 1) but before I could confirm it disappeared. I was not able to locate the fresh/recirc flap as you mentioned. The other motor is the mode selector (marked 2). VIkarll, which one did you replace, and if you don't mind where? Im sure I have the same issue you had anyway the noise is there when ignition is on even with A/C off. 

Thanks

DSC_0001.JPG

Rattles and random noises are difficult to diagnose without experiencing the noise in person. But the grinding noise could be the fresh/recirculate flap opening and closing. If you have an automatic AC (and if you have it set to "auto"), the system occasionally opens and closes this vent to maintain the air condition inside the car.

Try manually pressing the fresh/recirculate switch to determine if you hear the grinding noise. If you do, then this is probably due to the lack of lubrication or dust accumulation between the moving parts of the flap. A simple clean-up should eliminate the noise. Please note that this is just a guess.

• Like 1

This clicking sound was prevalent in my Townace as well, a relay rapidly clicking. It was related to the A/C, a bad relay on the thermostat side operating the compressor clutch. I'm not sure what we did to fix it, either the relay was replaced or the thermostat.

I also faced the similar issues on my past 2 toyota cars,and that's certainly nothing to do with compressor clutch.

There are small rotating shafts on your AC fan assembly to direct airflow on your commands. And open and close the fresh air vent.

These parts / motors / wheels making this taka taka noise which is difficult to get used to.

I replaced mine with a used assembly.you don't need to remove dashboard to replace blower assembly.

And don't remove dash unless it's really no option.the rattles will appear and never go again

Edited by chan5

Firstly; my apologies for not responding to all the replies I am thankful for, as I was away for a while without internet access.

Well, it looks like we have to rule out the A/C since this sound is independent from same i.e. you get it when the A/C is completely knocked off, including the blower. This is of course unless what Davy suggests happens (the fresh/ recirculate air flap tries to get in to position) independent from the A/C.

Yes, I did. I am not sure whether it is one and the same problem you have. In my case, the noise came from the motorized  fresh/ recycled air channel selector unit.

It is located a few inches above the park-break paddle, flush mounted with only one Phillips screw; not anywhere near one would perceive the sound to come from. Removing the DB or any paneling is absolutely uncalled for.

It is More or less a DIY job, and cost me only about Rs. 2000 for a re-con unit, an year ago.

Edited by ViKARLL

3 hours ago, aamarakoon said:

As I told before the noise is there only in the early morning. When I checked it seemed to be coming from the motor that drives the temp. control. (marked 1) but before I could confirm it disappeared. I was not able to locate the fresh/recirc flap as you mentioned. The other motor is the mode selector (marked 2). VIkarll, which one did you replace, and if you don't mind where? Im sure I have the same issue you had anyway the noise is there when ignition is on even with A/C off. 

Thanks

DSC_0001.JPG

I think this is somewhat a common issue. My Honda fit also has the same noise from the temp control motor.

It is your label 1.

Sorry, my year old memory has not served me right. Looks like it has not one but 2 screws.

I have attached two photos for re-confirmation.

Suggest you remove the wire harness first and monitor for a few days to see whether the sound goes off.

Good luck this time !!!

Installed.jpg

Removed.jpg

Edited by ViKARLL

Thanks. But strangely as the sound appeared, it is gone now. I only once for a second had a chance to peek under the DB and I am sure this is the culprit. So it is the temp. controller. ( Fresh/Recirc flap is above the cabby on the passenger side)