• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cvt Gear Box

udayanga_

Question

Thanx Is there any early signs which I can be alert on, that shows a 141 CVT gear box is in need of attention before it fails .Because I have a busy schedule at work and use the car daily, and I don't want to get into trouble on the road and arrange towing,find mechanics on a busy day.

Well in general hesitancy to get in gear is one, for example if you switch from r to d and if it takes time. Also jerkiness when accelerating and braking, you'll feel like something is slipping inside the gearbox. It's very hard to say exactly what will happen before failure since it depends on the nature of the failed component.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your valuable advices. I m hoping to buy a smaller cheaper car for my wife,as she got her licence recently and doesn't want to drive a new one Anyway I 'll find the appropriate thread to post my questions after browsing through the forum THANKS

Before buying the car I did an inspection at Toyota lanka and they never mentioned any fault of the gear box but they told me if the gear oil is not changed on time, even if you change it, due to new oil the worn out parts of the gear box will give trouble sooner than if the gear oil not changed.

No logic behind this. How sad the quality of our local agents.... !!!

Anyway I did a gear oil change and now done about 100 km so far no issues. But what wasl told at Toyota lanka worries me. I WANT you all expert idea to know will there be any gear box problem even after I changed the oil as gear oil was not changed for 86000 km.

Though we are changing CVT oil frequently in Sri Lanka, this gear box is manufactured with long serviceable intervals and even in sever conditions, need first change in more than 150,000 km or so (I cant remember the exact value) So, changing in 86,000 km will not give any trouble to your car if the millage is genuine.

There are enough cars running with CVT boxes so don't worry. Your car will run well for several more years.

So is there any possibility before exporting from Japan they would have done a gear oil change

No any possibility.