• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wingroad - Automatic Gearbox - Not Changing Suddenly

tilvin

Dears,

I have a Nissan Wingroad 2002 (3 meter model) model - automatic. From last couple of weeks onwards, there is a strange issue I am facing. Normally we do travelling around Colombo in heavy traffic and occassionally out stations. While the car running when we slow down or stop the car in traffic light and take off, it will take off but gear will not change. Even when the RPM goes above 3, it will not change. When you stop the car somewhere and restart (shutdown the key and start again) the issue will be OK. Sometimes the car will run continually without any problem. But sometimes this issue will come more than 3 or 4 times in a particular day. So I brought the car to Nilwala motors. They took a scan and told me that there is no any fault showing on the scan. He ran a test round and told that he could not find any fault. But this issue still continuing. I did an oil change. But this issue did not go. Please assist me what I can do next.

Thanks......

I brought this to EFI tuning person@Cotta Road a week back. He did a scan to find if there any problem with gearbox solenoids, speed sensor o related and told that he could not find any fault in the scan. He suggested to replace the gearbox in the worst case. My only question is why it becomes OK after restarting the car? Recent change done is AC guys closed the water lines going to the heater core advising me that the AC cool may be high. I told this to Nilwala motors person. He told that this does not have any relationship with gearbox. Friends, please help me with your suggesstions.

Does the gear shifting work fine if you immediately turn the car off and on or does it only work after you give it some time to cool down?

If its the former it's possible that the problem is with the TCU, if it's the latter then it is probably something wrong with a mechanical component in the gearbox.

When did you last change your ATF and what colour is your Atf now?

It works fine immediately after switch off and switch on. No need to give time to cool down. ATF I changed last week with Mobil + BG ATF conditioner. I also thought it will be OK after oil change. But it did not come ok. If the problem with TCU, how we can identify and fix? Please help.

Thanks......

Edited by tilvin

It works fine immediately after switch off and switch on. No need to give time to cool down. ATF I changed last week with Mobil + BG ATF conditioner. I also thought it will be OK after oil change. But it did not come ok. If the problem with TCU, how we can identify and fix? Please help.

Thanks......

No way to tell for sure, but you said that you did a scan of the car right ?

Transmission repairs are costly (looking at somewhere around 40k for a new gearbox), most of the time its just better to actually replace the entire thing than to rebuild it.

You can try resetting the ECU/TCU, just remove the car battery for 10-15 mins and reconnect (doubt it will work though). The car will feel rough, but try to drive very light footed initially.

• 2 weeks later...

I did as "The Stig" suggested. But that also did not help. So when the issue there (Gear stuck in first), I went to a specilized place who have scanner and scanned. They could not find anything when the car in "Park" position. Then they checked while the car running (with the scanner connected while driving). The scanner did not show any defect. After restaring the car, the issue was OK. Then they ran another test round and told there seems no issue inside the gearbox. They are suggesting to remove the gearbox sump and doing an oil change after cleaning the sump. Anyway I have spent approx 10000/= last week by changing oil with Mobil+BG ATF conditioner at laugs. But laugs guys did not remove anything. Just removed the nut below and took the old oil out and poured the new oil in. I am really confused what to do next. This issue suddenly, suddenly comes while driving in heavy traffic. Anyway mornings, it rarely happens. But in afternoons it frequently happens. What shall I do? Please advise.

I did as "The Stig" suggested. But that also did not help. So when the issue there (Gear stuck in first), I went to a specilized place who have scanner and scanned. They could not find anything when the car in "Park" position. Then they checked while the car running (with the scanner connected while driving). The scanner did not show any defect. After restaring the car, the issue was OK. Then they ran another test round and told there seems no issue inside the gearbox. They are suggesting to remove the gearbox sump and doing an oil change after cleaning the sump. Anyway I have spent approx 10000/= last week by changing oil with Mobil+BG ATF conditioner at laugs. But laugs guys did not remove anything. Just removed the nut below and took the old oil out and poured the new oil in. I am really confused what to do next. This issue suddenly, suddenly comes while driving in heavy traffic. Anyway mornings, it rarely happens. But in afternoons it frequently happens. What shall I do? Please advise.

Why on earth did you go to Laugfs to change gear oil? Do you honestly think they know anything about transmission systems? Consider that as sunk costs.

You should have got it done from Chandana (Nilwala guy) when you went there...

Give a buzz to Chandana and ask him about someone who can check the TCU (what I actually meant when I said ECU earlier)

• Like 1

Could you just observe if this happens after a hard kickdown - I mean, after you overtake a vehicle with the assistance of the kickdown, then coming to a stop or slow down and try to pick up. Just want to eliminate the possibility of kickdown operating and doing the down shifting but not returning to normal again. Are you usually heavy on the pedal?

Edited by Rumesh88

Thanks friends for your kind assistance..... :sport-smiley-003:

Why on earth did you go to Laugfs to change gear oil? Do you honestly think they know anything about transmission systems? Consider that as sunk costs.

You should have got it done from Chandana (Nilwala guy) when you went there...

Give a buzz to Chandana and ask him about someone who can check the TCU (what I actually meant when I said ECU earlier)

Got the scan for TCU while in park(P) and in driving the car also (connected the scanner while driving). But scan could not detect anything. I went to Nilwala to change the gearbox oil. But after trial run, he asked whether oil changed recently and since it changed recently, he told no need to change.

Could you just observe if this happens after a hard kickdown - I mean, after you overtake a vehicle with the assistance of the kickdown, then coming to a stop or slow down and try to pick up. Just want to eliminate the possibility of kickdown operating and doing the down shifting but not returning to normal again. Are you usually heavy on the pedal?

When it is OK, kick down and other normal gear change happening properly. When issue, it does not change to upper gear from 1st. But if it goes to second then there is no problem. It will behave normally from there onwards. Is there any cooler line / radiator line there for Wingroad car? Recently radiator shop removed the radiator for cleaning and AC guys closed the heater core water lines(They told. I am not sure what they blocked.... :sport-smiley-027: ). Next thing what I can do?

Another thing I noticed that this issue mostly happens when the car gets heat up in the traffic and stop and go traffic. And in the mornings when I run the car from cold, this issue mostly does not come for at least 10 km(But one or two times came in the morning also after running 1 or 2 km and after staying in a traffic light). I have a strong belief that heat and issue have some binding. Anyway I do not know whether I am correct...???

Edited by tilvin

Anyway car engine is not overheating. Both radiator fans are working and radiator functions properly. What I am asking - is there any separate cooler line for transmission? Will there be any block in that? Please help.

What terrabytetango referred to is not engine overheating but ATF overheating. I don't think your car has a ATF cooler though I am not quite sure. If you have a cooler you should see two hoses connected to the bottom side of the radiator from gear box. If the ATF is overheating it could be due to many reasons (a slipping clutch, clogged up filter, not having enough fluid pressure). You should be able to read the ATF temperature in a scan (provided however it is implemented in the system). Suggestion above to remove the sump, clean and perhaps replace the filter could be a better approach.

Edited by Rumesh88

What terrabytetango referred to is not engine overheating but ATF overheating. I don't think your car has a ATF cooler though I am not quite sure. If you have a cooler you should see two hoses connected to the bottom side of the radiator from gear box. If the ATF is overheating it could be due to many reasons (a slipping clutch, clogged up filter, not having enough fluid pressure). You should be able to read the ATF temperature in a scan (provided however it is implemented in the system). Suggestion above to remove the sump, clean and perhaps replace the filter could be a better approach.

Yes, I'm referring to ATF temperature. I forgot to ask this before; when the car is hesitant to shift, do you get a burning smell, very much like a burnt clutch smell you get from heavy vehicles now and then? That smell alone is a surefire sign of an overheating transmission.

Normally I run with AC on. In mornings there are no burnt smell. But after some time, some smell like burnt metal or oil slightly coming. If I off the AC for sometime this smell reduces little. But if I put the AC on back that smell coming again. Is there any way to check the actual transmission oil temperature after car warming up?

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...