• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

SMadu

Hi All,

I'm planning to change my car. Currently I'm using a Ford Laser (YOM 2000, 1.6, Auto) for last 4 years and need to sell it and have a change. I would like to get your opinion to select the best I can get for below 2.0 mil. Following models are in my mind and would like to know your ideas about those models as well. Preferred a sedan having YOM after 2000.

I'm not a daily user of my car but I use more during the week ends and travel long distances as well.

Honda Accord - How about the fuel consumption

Toyota Carina SI MyRoad - Would it be possible for my budget?

Nissan Bluebird Sylphy

Nissan N 16

Highly appreciate your suggestions and ideas

Thanks in advance

Accord and the N 16 are both money pits in Sri Lankan market. Don't buy them. I highly doubt that you could get relatively newer Carina for around 20 laks. Anyhow Carina is a good car if u could get your hands on a well maintained one. I don't know about he Bluebird Slyphy model much though.

Accord and the N 16 are both money pits in Sri Lankan market. Don't buy them. I highly doubt that you could get relatively newer Carina for around 20 laks. Anyhow Carina is a good car if u could get your hands on a well maintained one. I don't know about he Bluebird Slyphy model much though.

Really? and what are you basing this on? Extensive ownership experience with an Accord and an N16 no doubt? So do enlighten us in detail about how they became "money pits"...

In my humble opinion and experience of cars owned by friends and relatives let me rank the cars

1. Accord

2. Carina

3. Sylphy

4. N16

this is however my preference if you want better resale value and good fuel economy then go for the carina over the Accord. Don't expect the nissans to do THAT well on fuel either.

Also note for your budget the carina will be from probably 1998 while the others will be newer.

Edited by matroska
  • Like 2

Really? and what are you basing this on? Extensive ownership experience with an Accord and an N16 no doubt? So do enlighten us in detail about how they became "money pits"...

Well i personally hasn't own any of the listed cars nor I have personal experience with them. However AFAIK, the Accord is a 2.0L family car that is very famous in US. Because of it's engine size Accord has no market in Sri Lanka and it also has a relatively low gas mileage comparing to other offerings in the SL market. So by buying a Accord you will end up having a hard to sell car with low gas mileage. The N 16 in the other hand plagued with suspension issues in the rear and are totally under-powered if one settles with the 1.3L version.

N16 is a solid car and you need to spend less on maintenance. Yeah it has some problems with suspension (lowerarm bush, caliper pin, tierods) but very cheap to fix. Always try to find 1500cc N16s because 1300cc is underpowered and 1500cc carina also bit underpowered. Considering the fuel consumption carina and n16 are same but accord & sylphy consume bit more fuel. When it comes to resale value carina is the winner because most of the Sri Lankans believe toyota is the best. I am not sure about n16 type sylphys have 1500cc engine if yes that is best car for 2.0mil considering fuel consumption, appearance, interior and reliability.

Edited by dhachamila
  • Like 1

N16 is a solid car and you need to spend less on maintenance. Yeah it has some problems with suspension (lowerarm bush, caliper pin, tierods) but very cheap to fix. Always try to find 1500cc N16s because 1300cc is underpowered and 1500cc carina also bit underpowered. Considering the fuel consumption carina and n16 are same but accord & sylphy consume bit more fuel. When it comes to resale value carina is the winner because most of the Sri Lankans believe toyota is the best. I am not sure about n16 type sylphys have 1500cc engine if yes that is best car for 2.0mil considering fuel consumption, appearance, interior and reliability.

AFAIK the N16 suspension system is prone to continues break downs. Better to avoid the N16 all together.

Also I like to differ at one of your point. Sri Lankan's don't believe Toyota's are best. They think Toyota's are best for reselling.

Then why toyota's are best for reselling ?? because they have an attitude, when it comes to automotive toyota is the best brand and why they belive toyota's are best because of consumer trust toyota had in the past. Now toyota reputation is fading away globally due to massive recalls therefore toyotas also have issues with buit quality. Most of the people who own toyotas in SL won't share issues on their cars like most of the people believe 121 is the most reliable sedan but it has tremendous issues with power steering , same for 260 belive it does 14kmpl or more actually it does 9-8 kmpl and 1500cc 260s are also underpowered.

As I mentioned n16s have issues with suspension and those issues are very cheap to fix and n16 is very easy to maintain and the maintainance cost is very low. So if you can can find 1500cc sylphy below 2.0 mill , that is the best choice because it has the luxury feeling & mind blowing interio when compared to other 3.

Hi All,

I'm planning to change my car. Currently I'm using a Ford Laser (YOM 2000, 1.6, Auto) for last 4 years and need to sell it and have a change. I would like to get your opinion to select the best I can get for below 2.0 mil. Following models are in my mind and would like to know your ideas about those models as well. Preferred a sedan having YOM after 2000.

I'm not a daily user of my car but I use more during the week ends and travel long distances as well.

Honda Accord - How about the fuel consumption

Toyota Carina SI MyRoad - Would it be possible for my budget?

Nissan Bluebird Sylphy

Nissan N 16

Highly appreciate your suggestions and ideas

Thanks in advance

Among ur list , Myroad is my selection. but it will be little bit higher than your budget as well. My road is well comfortable, spacey car with average fuel consumption (9-11) .

Please forgot N16, Blue bird

Otherthan this lit i recomended toyota AE110, or FB 15 ..

Well i personally hasn't own any of the listed cars nor I have personal experience with them. However AFAIK, the Accord is a 2.0L family car that is very famous in US. Because of it's engine size Accord has no market in Sri Lanka and it also has a relatively low gas mileage comparing to other offerings in the SL market. So by buying a Accord you will end up having a hard to sell car with low gas mileage. The N 16 in the other hand plagued with suspension issues in the rear and are totally under-powered if one settles with the 1.3L version.
AFAIK the N16 suspension system is prone to continues break downs. Better to avoid the N16 all together.

Also I like to differ at one of your point. Sri Lankan's don't believe Toyota's are best. They think Toyota's are best for reselling.

Then why toyota's are best for reselling ?? because they have an attitude, when it comes to automotive toyota is the best brand and why they belive toyota's are best because of consumer trust toyota had in the past. Now toyota reputation is fading away globally due to massive recalls therefore toyotas also have issues with buit quality. Most of the people who own toyotas in SL won't share issues on their cars like most of the people believe 121 is the most reliable sedan but it has tremendous issues with power steering , same for 260 belive it does 14kmpl or more actually it does 9-8 kmpl and 1500cc 260s are also underpowered.

As I mentioned n16s have issues with suspension and those issues are very cheap to fix and n16 is very easy to maintain and the maintainance cost is very low. So if you can can find 1500cc sylphy below 2.0 mill , that is the best choice because it has the luxury feeling & mind blowing interio when compared to other 3.

51654717.jpg

• Like 6

why are you saying like that (crosswind)?? Yeah fb 15 is another good car but try to find fb15 new shell model bit pricey but most reliable sunny and fuel consumption is better than n16 & sylphys and it has good resale value when compare to n16 and sylphys. Lancer also another good economical car and it relatively new when compare to other 4 but not sure about resell value.

Edited by dhachamila

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your ideas. Actually if there are more better options I can look for, really like to think about those as well.

I also like for a MyRoad but as you have mentioned, need to check whether it would be possible for my budget.

Is there any better solution with an European car?

Peugeot 406 or Volkswagen Passat ?. I think Toyota 110 is also a good choice but I think that model has manufactured before year 2000.

Lancer is also a better idea. But I believe it should be for 1.6 engine and doubt it would fit for my budget. I believe the sedans with 1.3 engines are underpowered (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I did not think about Mazda because it is very much similar to the Ford Laser I own. Therefore I will not have a change by going to a Mazda Familia / 323.

Appreciate more ideas since this is a kind of difficult target to have a sedan having a YOM later than year 2000 and coming below Rs. 2 mil

Thank you very much

Edited by SMadu