• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Transplant 4Dr5 To 4Dr6 Or 4D56?

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi Guys,

Could you share the details you know about transplanting a 4DR5 Engine with 4DR6 or 4D56 one?

At the moment, its the 4DR5 Engine that I have in my J44 and would like to know which will fit the best if I am to do the transplant.

For info, The 4DR5 is modified with Power steering / Dual A/C & I lack the knowledge of which engine will cater for those without major modifications that I did to the 4DR5.

Anyone who has experience / Ideas / know how, Please post it.

Thanks a lot in advance.

6 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

Could you share the details you know about transplanting a 4DR5 Engine with 4DR6 or 4D56 one?

At the moment, its the 4DR5 Engine that I have in my J44 and would like to know which will fit the best if I am to do the transplant.

For info, The 4DR5 is modified with Power steering / Dual A/C & I lack the knowledge of which engine will cater for those without major modifications that I did to the 4DR5.

Anyone who has experience / Ideas / know how, Please post it.

Thanks a lot in advance.

4DR6 would be straight forward swap as it will share among the J Series Jeeps (aka Safarai Model) as i herd, might want to swap the rear Axle as well because of the final ratio difference.

• Like 1

Have no experience with a swap. But I know that the 4D56 is a solidly built engine. Try to get a 4D56T if you think the vehicle can handle the extra 'ump'. Except for relatively quick belt wear (probably due to the weight they pull), there are no complaints.

Hello nissan.dj

My idea is you better go for the 4DR6 rather 4D56, 56 is not a bad engine but with your truck its kind of a direct swap but the 4D56 you need to change lot other stuff as you modify to have the power steering and A/C and also not sure about bell housing at gearbox side will fit directly with 56.

4D56 is 2.5L engine and 4DR6 is 2.7L if i am correct, so its a LWB and need a powerful engine.

regards

JC

• Like 1

4DR6 would be straight forward swap as it will share among the J Series Jeeps (aka Safarai Model) as i herd, might want to swap the rear Axle as well because of the final ratio difference.
Have no experience with a swap. But I know that the 4D56 is a solidly built engine. Try to get a 4D56T if you think the vehicle can handle the extra 'ump'. Except for relatively quick belt wear (probably due to the weight they pull), there are no complaints.
Hello nissan.dj

My idea is you better go for the 4DR6 rather 4D56, 56 is not a bad engine but with your truck its kind of a direct swap but the 4D56 you need to change lot other stuff as you modify to have the power steering and A/C and also not sure about bell housing at gearbox side will fit directly with 56.

4D56 is 2.5L engine and 4DR6 is 2.7L if i am correct, so its a LWB and need a powerful engine.

regards

JC

Thanks guys.

I will go with 4DR6 but could any of you clarify this for me?

Will the 4DR6 come with AC Compressors with Power Steering? I mean, as I have modified the 4DR5 with those, I may be able to reuse what I have or else, If the 4DR6 is equipped with those It's better to stick with them.

Also what things would be to consider when a reconditioned 4DR6 engine is purchased? And any clue of where would I find better ones without being fooled by auto part sellers.

Appreciate if you can share whatever the info you have with this regards. Thanks.

Thanks guys.

I will go with 4DR6 but could any of you clarify this for me?

Will the 4DR6 come with AC Compressors with Power Steering? I mean, as I have modified the 4DR5 with those, I may be able to reuse what I have or else, If the 4DR6 is equipped with those It's better to stick with them.

Also what things would be to consider when a reconditioned 4DR6 engine is purchased? And any clue of where would I find better ones without being fooled by auto part sellers.

Appreciate if you can share whatever the info you have with this regards. Thanks.

I think 4DR6 is the same block of 4DR5 with Turbocharged with direct injection. So check the condition of the Turbo.

• Like 1

Go for 4DR6, minimum mods, bolt on, and heap of power for its size, also end of the day the swap would be more authentic.

As for AC compressor and power steering pump, it will depend on the engine you find. Current kit may also be a direct fit provided it can clear the other bits.

I'd recommend to use all new parts, just for a cleaner outcome and reliability.

And as with all turbo engines, checking the turbo is a must.

• Like 1