• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Death Of Electric Vehicles In Sl After Budget (Example: Leaf)

MoneyMaker

Although all the electric car owner happy about the increase of Duty on Electric vehicles from 5% to 50% the infrastructure investment (Charging points) will stop with immediate effect.

The number of charging points you will see will decline drastically. There will be very few new owners for electric vehicles.

The expectation of a electric car owner to charge the vehicle will be an issue.

Anyone planning to buy a Electric vehicle is only a dream now, throw that idea out the window!

Yahapalanaya Government crushedpeoples dream of Electric vehicles with a least effective budget.

People owning electric vehicles will be stuck with their vehicles for life!

• Like 4

Although all the electric car owner happy about the increase of Duty on Electric vehicles from 5% to 50% the infrastructure investment (Charging points) will stop with immediate effect.

The number of charging points you will see will decline drastically. There will be very few new owners for electric vehicles.

The expectation of a electric car owner to charge the vehicle will be an issue.

Anyone planning to buy a Electric vehicle is only a dream now, throw that idea out the window!

Yahapalanaya Government crushedpeoples dream of Electric vehicles with a least effective budget.

People owning electric vehicles will be stuck with their vehicles for life!

This isn't a constructive post, apart from the typical Sri Lankan blaming of the government for their policies. The status update in your profile is for nonsense like this. Please leverage it.

• Like 3

I've always said Sri lanka is not ready for electric cars. Not yet.

As long as we burn oil and generate electricity to barely meet the demands, we will never be ready for electric cars.

We will be ready for electric cars once we start generating excess power, after electrifying all the little villages in the country and meeting basic power requirements of industries and people.

Until such time, electric cars should be discouraged.... and this is a good move (even if that wasn't the intention).

Electric cars bring cost savings for a selected few and harm the masses in general. However, I don't expect Sri Lankan car owners to understand that. We are one of the most selfish people in the world.

I agree with crosswind. I can remember him pointing this out some time back. I have seen some people (who are employed in BOI factories with concessionary electicity rates) charging the cars in office premises.

As long as we burn oil and generate electricity to barely meet the demands, we will never be ready for electric cars.

We will be ready for electric cars once we start generating excess power, after electrifying all the little villages in the country and meeting basic power requirements of industries and people.

Until such time, electric cars should be discouraged.... and this is a good move (even if that wasn't the intention).

Electric cars bring cost savings for a selected few and harm the masses in general. However, I don't expect Sri Lankan car owners to understand that. We are one of the most selfish people in the world.

This is my take on it as well. But no one in my office agrees with me, they're too blinded by the juiciness of political controversy and conspiracy theory to be realistic.

This is my take on it as well. But no one in my office agrees with me, they're too blinded by the juiciness of political controversy and conspiracy theory to be realistic.

... precisely the reason for my last statement - 'we are one of the most selfish people in the world' :)

• Like 2

Totally agree with you. In this moment the electric cars in SL are not truly environment friendly. Instead of burning oil inside the engine its done @ Sapugaskanda.

Edited by kusumsiri

Unless you use solar.

SL has blended power generation renewable as well as fossil. So part of the electricity generated is green. Besides efficiency of thermal power generation is more efficient than average internal combustion engine and therefore produce less pollution.

Electric cars are more efficient in city traffic than IC

Even now 50% duty is much lower than hybrid at 90%, only issue is the cost of electric vehicles are high comparatively.

However the cost is coming down and the range is improving due to ne battery technology eventually people will come in to terms with this.

• Like 1

SL is quite self sufficient with electricity compared to other countries in the region and the base demand is from hydro. It is actually advantages to utilize the excess hydro electricity that we generate during non peak hours to charge cars. Most of our hydro plants are unable to dynamically vary the production and car battery is a good way to store some of it. Yes, as a system we are not yet ready because the electricity unit price is the same regardless day or night.

Totally agree with you. In this moment the electric cars in SL are not truly environment friendly. Instead of burning oil inside the engine its done @ Sapugaskanda.

Although the both IC engine and combine cycle power plant using oil, the efficiency difference is 20% and 50%. So, Lets assume loss due to internal matters (chemical reaction / heat) of the car is 20%, still the system efficiency is 40% (50% x 0.8 = 40%). Which means half of the fuel need comparing with IC engines.

Why not the electric cars environment friendly?.

• Like 2

Although the both IC engine and combine cycle power plant using oil, the efficiency difference is 20% and 50%. So, Lets assume loss due to internal matters (chemical reaction / heat) of the car is 20%, still the system efficiency is 40% (50% x 0.8 = 40%). Which means half of the fuel need comparing with IC engines.

Why not the electric cars environment friendly?.

Are these percentage values real ? If we have any scientifically proven figures in SL power plant efficiency values then we can get better idea. I am not against the electric vehicles at all. But still in doubt.

I have answered to your this comments in previous post. However remind again.

1. Sri Lanka has excess power now for off peak hours. (If required, please check this with CEB Engineers who are in control room)

2. Electrification level is extremely high in SL - total 98% now (Western province 99%, Southern 100%, ........ The lowest Vanni 70%)

3. Comparing the power generation efficiency of IC engine and Power plant (which powered electric cars) there is a massive advantage.

Agreed that, there are other disadvantages in electric cars as they use batteries but no such disadvantage to Sri Lanka in the way of Power demand.

I don't really think this decision was taken with environment or sustainable energy in mind. Typical GOSL reasoning was applied here.

The thought process was probably in the line of :

Electric cars are usually owned as second vehicles in families.-------(1)

Two Cars in the family = these people have lots of money.-------(2)

From (1) and (2) : Electric cars are usually brought by well to do people as second cars. No Harm in increasing tax.

'Foresight' is not part of Sri Lankan Politicans mentality. SL may be a bit too immature for Electric vehicles - maybe not

BUT this decision by GOSL had NOTHING to do with that kind of reasoning. ... anyway what more can you expect from them???

Edited by matroska
  • Like 2

Are these percentage values real ? If we have any scientifically proven figures in SL power plant efficiency values then we can get better idea. I am not against the electric vehicles at all. But still in doubt.

Kalanithissa combined cycle plant operates at 48-50% efficiency level.

Coal power plant operates around 37% efficiency level but cost wise more advantageous (don't worry about environment impact as it has properly designed to cater the issue).

No need to mention about hydro power plants.

Although we could obtain around 20% (25% extreme) efficiency level by gasoline engine, it will not operate in the maximum efficiency point (rpm) while powering the car due to speed variations. Hybrids are more prone to harvest the energy from fuel as it tries to operate at the best efficient point as much as possible (but not always), but ordinary car, the actual average efficiency is less than 15% (may be 10%).

Edited by gayanath

I don't really think this decision was taken with environment or sustainable energy in mind. Typical GOSL reasoning was applied here.

The thought process was probably in the line of :

Electric cars are usually owned as second vehicles in families.-------(1)

Two Cars in the family = these people have lots of money.-------(2)

From (1) and (2) : Electric cars are usually brought by well to do people as second cars. No Harm in increasing tax.

'Foresight' is not part of Sri Lankan Politicans mentality. SL may be a bit too immature for Electric vehicles - maybe not

BUT this decision by GOSL had NOTHING to do with that kind of reasoning. ... anyway what more can you expect from them???

I do agree, brough a Nissan Leaf for office commute 35 Km round daily, which consumes approximatly 6-7 KWh (5 Km/ KWh) with is much better than the CRV @ 7 Kmpl from a envirnment as well as economic point of view.

I would not have brough the Leaf if it was not less than Rs. 3.0 Mn. at Rs. 5.0 Mn. it does not make sense for most.

Edited by kush

SL is quite self sufficient with electricity compared to other countries in the region and the base demand is from hydro. It is actually advantages to utilize the excess hydro electricity that we generate during non peak hours to charge cars. Most of our hydro plants are unable to dynamically vary the production and car battery is a good way to store some of it. Yes, as a system we are not yet ready because the electricity unit price is the same regardless day or night.

I hope they will still implement time based metering. Which also will benefit CEB on load balancing.

@ Rs. 13.5 per KWh you can power a leaf at Rs. 2.50-3.00 per Km. which is equivalent to 40 Kmpl.

I hope they will still implement time based metering. Which also will benefit CEB on load balancing.

@ Rs. 13.5 per KWh you can power a leaf at Rs. 2.50-3.00 per Km. which is equivalent to 40 Kmpl.

Yes. I'm not sure the new net metering has the capability of that. Maybe someone can explain.

I have answered to your this comments in previous post. However remind again.

1. Sri Lanka has excess power now for off peak hours. (If required, please check this with CEB Engineers who are in control room)

2. Electrification level is extremely high in SL - total 98% now (Western province 99%, Southern 100%, ........ The lowest Vanni 70%)

3. Comparing the power generation efficiency of IC engine and Power plant (which powered electric cars) there is a massive advantage.

Agreed that, there are other disadvantages in electric cars as they use batteries but no such disadvantage to Sri Lanka in the way of Power demand.

Yes. The other small percentage is not electrified yet because it's not commercially viable. I.e Two families live in a hill top and it needs 10 electric posts to power up there.