• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Budget - Impact On Vehicle Prices

rija

I guess no change for gasoline cars, probably people would star buying Premio, Allion, Corolla, Carina now

People who work fro private organisation do not take all the money home, they do pay tax

People who work fro private organisation do not take all the money home, they do pay tax

Tax ? How much?

it's only the workers who earn more than 200,000 per month are asked to pay tax now.

None of the government servants, except very few like consultant doctors, will have to pay tax.

Most government officers holding top posts even earn less than 100,000.

Paying 15,000 as tax while earning over 300,000 is much different to earning some 70,000 and not paying tax.

Edited by priyanka
  • Like 1

The thread topic is "Budget - Impact On Vehicle Prices". But it seems that we are deviating from the topic. Though I too have some points about free education and paying tax, I dont want to mention my points here.

I can't believe government servants or rather public servants are even mentioned in the same breath as productivity. The public service is bloated and is unproductive. The consequent governments are afraid to prune the deadweight because they are afraid of losing votes. As to the free education, we all know that the government gets almost 80% of its taxes indirectly, meaning by taxing parippu and halmessa consumed by everyone. As such, free education and free health is an entitlement for all or none. Show me a productive public servant and I'll show you a flying pig!

• Like 5

I can't believe government servants or rather public servants are even mentioned in the same breath as productivity. The public service is bloated and is unproductive. The consequent governments are afraid to prune the deadweight because they are afraid of losing votes. As to the free education, we all know that the government gets almost 80% of its taxes indirectly, meaning by taxing parippu and halmessa consumed by everyone. As such, free education and free health is an entitlement for all or none. Show me a productive public servant and I'll show you a flying pig!

I, myself as a doctor

I report for work at 6 am. Work till 6pm at least. And once a week till 8-9pm. Maybe 12 mid night.

I see at least 100 patients a day.

Have to do surgeries, some of them are very urgent -so can't postpone

I have waited hours in the hospital till a theatre get free to operate on an urgent patient.

Most of my patience a poor of the poorest, who cannot afford for a drug costs Rs 100.

I have never done private practice for my entire 6 year service

You want believe this, but this is same for most my colleagues.....

We could have done even better, if we can get few more facilities, which is in the hands of politicians of the country.

You calculate the value of the work I do, I am 100% sure I work more than the salary I get.

Most people blame for the government service, but it is not correct always.

• Like 8

Hold your pigs,

I am a doctor in an outstation hospital. Rather rural.

We have 3 docs and our ward is getting admissions on all 365 days.

So we cover all the hours around the clock.

If we go by the book.we have 6 hours of duty per day and 4 hour duty on Saturday. So altogether 160 hours per month.

But I do 10 night oncalls,and altogether and if you calculte,its more than 360 hours of extra work.we do get paid only for 100-110 max.

Person with a half heart will work here irrespective of the numbers.

And my salary is barely touching a salary of a bank officer.if you think that we are inefficient morons,please let us know.

There are quite a few medical officers at AL and they will add to this if you want.

And FYI, YES we and most of the government sector is underpaid. We have no accommodation provided by government, so we live in rented house and drive to hospital on PERSONAL car.if you wait for an ambulance to pick you up in an emergency, that kid would have been in heaven by now.

If you still believe that docs doesn't deserve a permit, I don't mind your flying pigs.

Edited by chan5
  • Like 3

Hold your pigs,

If we go by the book.we have 6 hours of duty per day and 4 hour duty on Saturday. So altogether 160 hours per month.

But I do 10 night oncalls,and altogether and if you calculte,its more than 360 hours of extra work.we do get paid only for 100-110 max.

And my salary is barely touching a salary of a bank officer.if you think that we are inefficient morons,please let us know.

There are quite a few medical officers at AL and they will add to this if you want.

And FYI, YES we and most of the government sector is underpaid. We have no accommodation provided by government, so we live in rented house and drive to hospital on PERSONAL car.if you wait for an ambulance to pick you up in an emergency, that kid would have been in heaven by now.

If you still believe that docs doesn't deserve a permit, I don't mind your flying pigs.

Well, first of all hats off to the many doctors who slave themselves specially in rural hospitals day and night. (at the same time a big boo to the few unscrupulous blood suckers - in every industry there are jerks) Yes they deserve a reward for their efforts.

What is noteworthy is that doctors are a very small section of the public sector. Majority Government servants are actually not productive. Think of say the big wigs at SLTB , CEB etc..

Private companies earn money from abroad. They bring in foreign exchange. Without that we wouldn't have an economy to speak of.

exactly. Note that most of them HAVE to work ... not just warm the seats from 8-4.30

BTW just remembered this:

http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Love-This-Joke/858698

• Like 1

No need to get our knickers in a twist. There are so many deserving workers on both govt and private sectors for privileges and benefits. I can also cite my work ethic and hours and I'm sure none of you gives a flying funk.

It's a free country (and a free world) and how we work and how we earn are up to us. If you want to depend on the govt for a special privilege which somehow you deserve because you think you work harder than the rest or somehow entitled to it otherwise, you're a special kind of moron.

Earn your privileges.

Edited by vishkid
  • Like 3

It's nice we have some good hardworking doctors here.

In the eyes of anyone who would have gotten a permit and now wouldnt, they probably feel cheated. But sadly the GMOA's threat to take union action demanding a privilege at the cost of those who funded their education and livelihood gives a bad rep to ALL doctors including the exceptional few.

12274722_1659990064269801_60031899737727

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 3

I'm sorry but I don't know why some docs here bragging about the way they work. I hope they do understand how the employees of the private companies work. There were instances I've worked 50+ hours straight. It's not just you guys, everyone works hard. Don't take all the credit for you :) Just my two cents.

Off Topic:
On the topic of doctors; I've been perplexed by the GMOA's vehement objection to private medical colleges.

Priyanka, Chan5 as doctors what do you guys really feel about this? Why can't the medical field entertain doctors who are educated in local private medical universities?

[[Reviving the old practice of using a different coloured font to ask the Off-topic question in this thread]]

I, myself as a doctor I report for work at 6 am. Work till 6pm at least. And once a week till 8-9pm. Maybe 12 mid night. I see at least 100 patients a day. Have to do surgeries, some of them are very urgent -so can't postpone I have waited hours in the hospital till a theatre get free to operate on an urgent patient. Most of my patience a poor of the poorest, who cannot afford for a drug costs Rs 100. I have never done private practice for my entire 6 year service You want believe this, but this is same for most my colleagues..... We could have done even better, if we can get few more facilities, which is in the hands of politicians of the country. You calculate the value of the work I do, I am 100% sure I work more than the salary I get. Most people blame for the government service, but it is not correct always.

Are we missing any other information? How can a Doctor own a vehicle worth 3 Mil (approx) with only the salary paid from the governmnet hospital? If the answer is inherited money, then why bother about permits?

I guess no change for gasoline cars, probably people would star buying Premio, Allion, Corolla, Carina now

Then those prices are increased,,,simple buying and supply theory

In the first place, it is foolish move to introduce a vehicle permit scheme at all. These are primitive measures. If there is a pay disparity, the govt has to pay them properly. Utterly mismanaged scheme & finally came to the level of a bribe. It is like our "pohora sahanaadhaaraya", aimed at the poor, but same end up in big farms too. The country and the citizens has to face the realities of cost / benefit. If the government can bear Rs 40bn revenue loss, just because of permits. Who will finally pay back the Rs 40bn bill to the govt coffers - non other than the general public of this country. There is similar car mania in India. But they manufacture autos of all kinds and India will become the major auto exporter in the region very soon. whee are we, everybody is talking about how hard they work. It is your choice to become a doctor , engineer or a chartered accountant, you have to live Sri Lankan life. Take a simple example, Why our cost of of a loaf of bread is higher than the one imported, which comes to our port passing 2000 - 3000 km. Because It is highly subsidized at other end. These are strategic moves to sell excess "rodda" to poor nations by such exporting countries, to keep our farmers non competitive in their own market. Can our poor farmers resort to a "strike" action ?? Collectively until and unless we take pride in what we do, what we own, believe in our products, there will never be an economic boom for us. At least one generation has to accept the basics of living within our means. If not today, someday, our future generations are going to suffer heavily. This is how all the so called "developed nations" are what they are today.

• Like 1

Hold your pigs,

If your parents dream was you to become a doctor by attending local uni, then my friend you have to serve at government hospitals. It was your wish to take up this profession. I will not say no to a doctor who has paid for his studies to migrate to another country for better prospects.

Just chill, this is a temporary meassure. When we have sufficient foreign reserves, the government might re-issue permits. Just my 2 cents.

"Tax Incentives for Environment Friendly Vehicles

557. Government is taking measures to improve a cleaner environment in the country. For

encouraging the use of environment friendly vehicles with reduced emission, I propose to

reduce Excise duty to 2.5 percent for the vehicles which are run entirely on Solar, Hydrogen

or Helium."

What about electric vehicles ???

Hybrid also partially environment friends vehicle...

Finally is it true that vehicles price are going up???

Helium and hydrogen vehicles still in testing level,. this is huge funny tax and demotivate all electric and hybrid buyers...

Most of the private sector workers also got free education. Isn't it? Country needs government servants Just because they had the education free, you can't cut off their privileges Doing so will collapse the system.

free educated professional not only in government sector.there are huge on private sector. so why permit given only for government sector? Better thing is no permit for every one, bcus people paid taxes for educate those proffessional once and again they paid taxes for purchase vehicles for those proffessionals....

• Like 2

Cancellation of permits need not be a budget proposal. I don't know why stupid Ravi did that. Permits can be revoked at any time, as it used to happen in the past. Permits were issued during a specific time window in the past when the foreign currency reserves were healthy. Right now, the country can't afford to loose the 40 BILLION rupees from concessionary permits.

By making it a budget proposal, Ravi K just dumped a whole bucket of sh*t on himself.

This is not a question of govt sector vs. private sector or doctors vs. IT guys. This is merely a drastic step the country needs to take to keep short term economy afloat. As somebody mentioned earlier, permits will be issued again after some time. So just relax and enjoy dumb politicians making asses out of themselves, without being too involved :)

• Like 3

Permits to government officers were given because they are underpaid. Some tax payers were given permits to encourage them. I do not think that there would be any effect in cancellation of permits to parliamentarians as they might have already imported all the vehicles they need.

Nope. None of the tax payers get/got the permits. Its only the non-tax paying government workers who got the tax exemption on vehicles. The tax-payers had/have to pay tax when they import vehicles.

Edited by isam

Cancellation of permits need not be a budget proposal. I don't know why stupid Ravi did that. Permits can be revoked at any time, as it used to happen in the past. Permits were issued during a specific time window in the past when the foreign currency reserves were healthy. Right now, the country can't afford to loose the 40 BILLION rupees from concessionary permits.

By making it a budget proposal, Ravi K just dumped a whole bucket of sh*t on himself.

This is not a question of govt sector vs. private sector or doctors vs. IT guys. This is merely a drastic step the country needs to take to keep short term economy afloat. As somebody mentioned earlier, permits will be issued again after some time. So just relax and enjoy dumb politicians making asses out of themselves, without being too involved :)

Yes Crosswind nailed it! Permits should be tied to a time window when our foreign reserves are healthy. That's how it has been... until this budget at least!

Just to add my two cents, difficult as it may be, there should be some measure of 'contribution to the economy/country' when allocating rewards like permits. Blanket assignment of permits will never motivate any party. In fact it would demotivate, except that the reward is essential to the profession. (i.e. - A car for the doctor is a must as doctors are summoned 24/7 to the hospital based on the need, heck they should allocate a driver too if possible, Concessions for computers and equipment for IT people, etc.)

Edited by isam

@ crosswind - exactly to sum up the situation, I do frankly understand the curr difficult time.hence no strict or resist the necessary temporary measures.

The reply was to sudden malicious claims about public sector. Rather stereotyping.That's absurd.

The biggest issue in Sri Lanka is the governments (All governments past and present) were unable to come up with a long term plans for sustainable economic growth. As a result of that salary paid is not enough meet the cost of living. But still Sri Lankans expectations are so high that most of the higher middle class people suffering from low savings or no savings. As a simple alternative most of the professionals who had free education ,moves to foreign countries to work, so that the cost of living in Sri Lanka relatively low compared to other developed countries where as salary is pretty much higher than Sri Lanka.That will create the situation where they could live comfortably in Sri Lanka. I'm not blaming here or commenting whether it was a good thing to cancel the vehicle permits given to the government officers...but there a lot of private sector professionals who have been contributing to the economy far better than the government servants. There are a huge number of people who work in abroad and contribute to the economy by sending foreign currencies. So it's fare that If government could set the standards of qualifications or the assessment method to asses their active participation to the economy and provide them duty free permits as a token of appreciation.

• Like 1

I, myself as a doctor I report for work at 6 am. Work till 6pm at least. And once a week till 8-9pm. Maybe 12 mid night. I see at least 100 patients a day. Have to do surgeries, some of them are very urgent -so can't postpone I have waited hours in the hospital till a theatre get free to operate on an urgent patient. Most of my patience a poor of the poorest, who cannot afford for a drug costs Rs 100. I have never done private practice for my entire 6 year service You want believe this, but this is same for most my colleagues..... We could have done even better, if we can get few more facilities, which is in the hands of politicians of the country. You calculate the value of the work I do, I am 100% sure I work more than the salary I get. Most people blame for the government service, but it is not correct always.

I personally believe that the doctors in SL are seriously underpaid. At the end of the day, even doctors have to 'pay their bills'. And I never blame a doctor for curbing the gap with private practice.

Edited by isam

Most of the private sector workers also got free education. Isn't it? Country needs government servants Just because they had the education free, you can't cut off their privileges Doing so will collapse the system.

The system is a collapsed one. There is nothing to collapse even further. :D