• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda 3/axela Rust Resistence

G-Rider

Hi,

I’m planning of buying a Mazda 3 or Axela near future (2004 model). I’ve searched and read so many posts related to this awesome car in autolanka forum and had a good understanding of it. I love the overall appearance and the performance of this car and I’m eager to own a one.

However, I am bothered of one matter and hope the experts of this forum and existing owners could help me.

In Internet, I’ve read many articles which mention that the Mazda 3 is not much “rust resistant”. Some articles (below links) says that the Mazda 3 is the “least rust resistant car” among other famous car brands. (Even worse than Kia, Hyundai)

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/top-10-best-worst-rust-resistant-cars-1593327/
http://www.theautonet.com/en/2013/10/09/top-10-best-and-worst-rust-resistant-cars

So, is the Mazda 3 actually that much of weak for rust/corrosion?
Will that be a major issue when running the car in Colombo including the roads near coastal areas?

Thanks

Edited by G-Rider

Great car you will love the peppy engine and handling of this car. All these rust issues seems to be in cold whether countries, I have personally not seen any Mazda 3 or axela rusting away like that. In the hot Sri Lanakan sun the likelihood of rust developing is very little compared to countries that has snowfall. Doubt you will face any issues

Edited by The Stig

I've had a 2004 Axela (my brother has it now) and haven't had an issue with rust. When I got the car, there was a teeny bit of rust on the spare wheel well, because one of the drain caps (?) were missing and so water could get in and remain there. Once that was fixed, never had anything else to do with rust for the last 5 years.

And it was parked regularly within 25 meters of the Marine Drive (thus the coast) for two years when I worked in Colpetty. Again, didn't even have to think of rust. Never met anyone else with an Axela complaining of rust either.

I had one 2 years back.Rust use to develop under the seat areas and steering wheel bore areas.Rust in the sense like a brown dust.But didn't saw any rust development near the outer wheel areas,these articles may be referring to the cold countries.But I definitely saw a big lack of transparent paint coating like that is used in older Mazdas.Poor job in paint department.Have a look on under the door arches as they are prone to rust.Not a major issue in sri lanka though.

Thanks all for the comments and I'm happy to hear those. This would keep my mind stick to the Mazda. :rolleyes:

After you guys mentioned, I read in internet that cold countries use anti-icing chemicals (e.g: salt) to reduce freezing point of water to prevent ice forming on their roads. So, that must be the reason of high corrosion rates in cold countries.

Hi,

I’m planning of buying a Mazda 3 or Axela near future (2004 model). I’ve searched and read so many posts related to this awesome car in autolanka forum and had a good understanding of it. I love the overall appearance and the performance of this car and I’m eager to own a one.

However, I am bothered of one matter and hope the experts of this forum and existing owners could help me.

In Internet, I’ve read many articles which mention that the Mazda 3 is not much “rust resistant”. Some articles (below links) says that the Mazda 3 is the “least rust resistant car” among other famous car brands. (Even worse than Kia, Hyundai)

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/top-10-best-worst-rust-resistant-cars-1593327/

http://www.theautonet.com/en/2013/10/09/top-10-best-and-worst-rust-resistant-cars

So, is the Mazda 3 actually that much of weak for rust/corrosion?

Will that be a major issue when running the car in Colombo including the roads near coastal areas?

Thanks

This model of Mazda3 has very thin paint layer according to the web sources, So tiny scratches may lead to corrosion formation in snowy countries which uses

salt to dissolve ice.In our country no issue reported however it is a part of the owner to protect the car by keeping in cleanly manner,