• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Corolla Thel Higana Edition (Or My Take On An Axio Hybrid)

terrabytetango

• 1 month later...
Apart from the exterior and interior what options and features are missing on the 2013 Axio Hybrid?

As far as I know Toyota introduced the "Toyota safety sense C" to the face lift Axio and beige interior was offered for the G grade as well, earlier G grade had only black interior. These are the ones I'm aware of but there could be more

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1

As far as I know Toyota introduced the "Toyota safety sense C" to the face lift Axio and beige interior was offered for the G grade as well, earlier G grade had only black interior. These are the ones I'm aware of but there could be more

The side air registers are twist units, there's no longer a beige dashboard, and they replaced maroon as an exterior colour with brown. The LCD UI has a few changes as well, and I'm guessing the HSD has a few firmware tweaks too because the ICE kicking in is slightly more refined in the facelift, especially when at low speeds.

• Like 1

I totally agree with terrabytetango's review about Axio. I bought my Axio last June and I am really enjoying it. One drawback I see is that seats. They are not comfortable as compared to other cars at the range. There were no cars with fog lights in the market at the time I was buying. I checked them and original Japan LED fog light set is costing around Rs 60000.

The car is really good at fuel efficiency and some times I got more than 30 km/l in some trips. It all depends with driving pattern.

Only change I did was fixing Leather seat covers. I really enjoy the car.

• 4 months later...
Nice find, but can't understand some features in the video because all is in jap, specially the reversing alarm thing. Also didn't know that a 1.3l variant is available.

Machan 1.3L varient seems to be a non-hybrid.

Edited by sathyajithj99

The last 2 features of Toyota Safety Sense C on the video are a bit difficult to understand. Maybe they are optional features. See there also they clearly mention that only 2 variants available for Axio hybrid

Axio Hybrid G

Axio Hybrid

Still some buggers say Hybrid X

I totally agree with terrabytetango's review about Axio. I bought my Axio last June and I am really enjoying it. One drawback I see is that seats. They are not comfortable as compared to other cars at the range. There were no cars with fog lights in the market at the time I was buying. I checked them and original Japan LED fog light set is costing around Rs 60000.

The car is really good at fuel efficiency and some times I got more than 30 km/l in some trips. It all depends with driving pattern.

Only change I did was fixing Leather seat covers. I really enjoy the car.

You might want to undo that change you've done. If your car has side airbags, no form of seat cover should be fitted.

You might want to undo that change you've done. If your car has side airbags, no form of seat cover should be fitted.

Agreed. No point in saving the car seats for anyone else, might as well enjoy them as long as you have the car I say!

I have however seen airbag compatible car seats being fitted to cars (car seats with dual-side tear seams; that are compatible with most seat airbags) but again I won't recommend them. When in an accident I want every chance of surviving / minimizing injury and I think that goes for everyone- and the best way to ensure that is in my opinion to make sure all the safety systems in the car are as the manufacturer intended.

Agreed. No point in saving the car seats for anyone else, might as well enjoy them as long as you have the car I say!

I have however seen airbag compatible car seats being fitted to cars (car seats with dual-side tear seams; that are compatible with most seat airbags) but again I won't recommend them. When in an accident I want every chance of surviving / minimizing injury and I think that goes for everyone- and the best way to ensure that is in my opinion to make sure all the safety systems in the car are as the manufacturer intended.

Agree with both of you. I think we discussed about this into depth in a thread where someone asked to fix leather seats for a Prius.

• Like 1

Nice find, but can't understand some features in the video because all is in jap, specially the reversing alarm thing. Also didn't know that a 1.3l variant is available.

There are a handful of 1.3 and 1.5 regular versions running around in SL. The 1.5s have a start/stop emblem where ours have the Hybrid emblem; those without any emblem are usually the 1.3 models.

There are a handful of 1.3 and 1.5 regular versions running around in SL. The 1.5s have a start/stop emblem where ours have the Hybrid emblem; those without any emblem are usually the 1.3 models.

Considering the Hybrid was released about 1 year after the gasoline was sold, I believe there are several gasoline 1.3s and 1.5s around....seriously doubt any Gasoline variants made (and make) it over since the Hybrid was launched.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2016 at 6:12 PM, Dilan R said:

Hi @terrabytetango,

Thumbs up for the review. Do you still own the car? If so how well has it stood the test of time, yes it has only been one year, anything major done on the car? I am really skeptical about these hybrids, oh and what is the current mileage/kilometerage, that is if you own the car?

Thanks

Mine just did 590ish kms on a full tank on a trip to Anuradhapura last week, and also ticked over 14000kms on the ODO as well. So far no issues at all, the traction pack appears to be the same, or may have actually improved because I only used to get between 17 and 18 in Colombo last year, but that has increased to 19.5-20 this year. However as of October, I no longer drive that car regularly (father has taken over that responsibility) as I've moved very close to my office and either walk to work or get a lift from my wife.

4 hours ago, terrabytetango said:

Mine just did 590ish kms on a full tank on a trip to Anuradhapura last week, and also ticked over 14000kms on the ODO as well. So far no issues at all, the traction pack appears to be the same, or may have actually improved because I only used to get between 17 and 18 in Colombo last year, but that has increased to 19.5-20 this year. However as of October, I no longer drive that car regularly (father has taken over that responsibility) as I've moved very close to my office and either walk to work or get a lift from my wife.

:grinning-smiley-003:

6 hours ago, terrabytetango said:

Axio Hybrid has a 36 ltr tank afaik. 590/36= 16.3. Are you sure ur doing the math right?

On 11/29/2016 at 7:27 PM, Crosswind said:

Axio Hybrid has a 36 ltr tank afaik. 590/36= 16.3. Are you sure ur doing the math right?

I never run it dry, the low fuel indicator comes on when there's a little more than 6 litres left, thus I never fill more than 31 litres during refueling.

Edited by terrabytetango

It'll be one year on the next February for mine. 6200Kms done. Still no major issue beside the soft suspension. Only fault is that my fuel gauge doesn't increase as soon as I pump fuel, it take about 5-10 mins of driving to get the level up. I usually drive on ECO mode switched off but it still does good on fuel.

Mine, a daily runner, has now done over 32000km in two years time after getting it down on zero mileage basis. Other than engine oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter changes nothing to report as issues. Never cleaned the engine bay except by blowing air but it is clean enough for me. Also never bothered to measure the fuel efficiency but my fuel bill has come down by more than 50% compared to the 121 I had before. I always run with Eco mode off for it is a PITA when it comes to handling. BTW thinking of getting a report done by the agent just for the record cos it could come handy when it is put up for sale one day. 

Edit: Cleaned the area under windshield cowling as I usually do bi-annually for all the cars I owned. Real benefit of this will be for whoever the owner after another 10 years time :D.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone, and a happy new year! It has now been over 14 months since I've acquired this car, and during the xmas weekend I achieved two milestones. The car achieved 600kms on one tank of fuel, with at least another 80 kms remaining, and secondly I managed to get the battery to charge all the way to the top, during several downhill stints. The journey was from Colombo, to Belihuloya, and then to Ampara (Buddhangala Monastary). 3 passengers, plus enough luggage to make the car scrape on a pebble. Total mileage is only 15K kms, but suffice to say the car is still daily driven for over two hours, albeit short distances in traffic, thus the battery does get a workout.

Another surprising find is that the LDA feature works *really REALLY* well on A roads where markings are clear, even on the twisty bits. It identifies broken lines, continuous lines, and the parallel continuous lines with no issue at all. Not really sure why I'm surprised, but considering this is Sri Lanka, the fact that anything works is really quite miraculous.

20161223_110237.jpg

20161225_154634.jpg

Edited by terrabytetango
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2016 at 11:54 AM, Rumesh88 said:

Edit: Cleaned the area under windshield cowling as I usually do bi-annually for all the cars I owned. Real benefit of this will be for whoever the owner after another 10 years time :D.

I too want to remove the windshield cowling and clean but haven't done it before or haven't seen someone doing it, is it a very simple DIY that a nimrod like myself can do without doing damage to windshield or the cowling? Remove the nuts that holds wipers and the cowling, pry it out, clean and fix everything together again?

Edited by Jor-el

5 hours ago, terrabytetango said:

Another surprising find is that the LDA feature works *really REALLY* well on A roads where markings are clear, even on the twisty bits. It identifies broken lines, continuous lines, and the parallel continuous lines with no issue at all. Not really sure why I'm surprised, but considering this is Sri Lanka, the fact that anything works is really quite miraculous.

For me LDA worked very well from the beginning, it worked so well that it started to annoy me :D

• Like 1