• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The All New Mazda 2 (2016/sedan)

car_lover2015

Question

Hey folks,

Good day to all of you, so let me start with this first, i'm planing to buy a new car around 5mil. Initially i wanted to buy the all new Mazda 3 and colonial motors only has it with 1.6cc engine (This one doesn't come with skyactive engine). I'm keen about this new skyactive engine so they offered me the all new Mazda 2 Sedan with skyactive engine, It will cost me around 4.6m. It looks pretty darn good actually, and i really like it.

Has anyone had a chance to test it? if so what do you think about it?

Please share your thoughts about this car,

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Nirosha said:

When I asked the CM they told they are not providing such a warranty even for extra as you said. Also he told that it is needed to discuss with Japan company.

One of my friends imported an Audi A3 very recently. He told me that the Audi dealer is giving warranty for third party imports for about Rs. 2.5 laks if I remember correctly.

BTW I never heard Mazda recall for Sri Lanka. Is there any history? (I know future cannot be predicted for this kind of cases :). but for information.

I have a 2014 3 which I have used for 4 years now, baught brand new from Colonial and has now done 50000K's. Car is rock solid despite my daily use/abuse. Like Supra I had the shock mount issue and an infotainment software problem- both fixed under warranty. Drive belts are now showing a some signs of wear so I'll replace that next and put new brake pads.

A collegue of mine has a 2016 Mazda2 hatch and she too had the shock mounts replaced under warranty. That too has done about 35,000 km's and has been faultless.

Don't know what the brand new prices are now- but I am very impressed with Colonial's service so far and highly recommend them.

1 hour ago, RWD said:

I have a 2014 3 which I have used for 4 years now, baught brand new from Colonial and has now done 50000K's. Car is rock solid despite my daily use/abuse. Like Supra I had the shock mount issue and an infotainment software problem- both fixed under warranty. Drive belts are now showing a some signs of wear so I'll replace that next and put new brake pads.

A collegue of mine has a 2016 Mazda2 hatch and she too had the shock mounts replaced under warranty. That too has done about 35,000 km's and has been faultless.

Don't know what the brand new prices are now- but I am very impressed with Colonial's service so far and highly recommend them.

Thanks a lot for your valuable info. Any idea about ownership cost per anum?

I guess the shock mount problem is common to Mazda as you all reply. May affecting the 2018 too.

The CM is quoted 7.8Mil for the full option 2018 Mazda 2 hatch. It's from Japan. I also called Carmart and they quoted 7.2Mil for the 2018 Mazda 2 hatch. But its from Thailand or Thaiwan (Cant remember. also the options are not sure. Waiting for their quotation).

24 minutes ago, Nirosha said:

I guess the shock mount problem is common to Mazda as you all reply. May affecting the 2018 too.

The CM is quoted 7.8Mil for the full option 2018 Mazda 2 hatch. It's from Japan. I also called Carmart and they quoted 7.2Mil for the 2018 Mazda 2 hatch. But its from Thailand or Thaiwan (Cant remember. also the options are not sure. Waiting for their quotation).

Hmmm....at one point they had the sedan out of Thailand and the hatch out of Japan...then they planned to shift all of the Mazda 2 (export model) production to Thailand...with knockdowns being assembled in countries like Vietnam. I wonder what is actually happening now...perhaps the Thai factory can't keep up with the volumes ?

Anyway...Mazda is probably the only manufacturer where if you take a Thai built model and a Japanese built model you will hardly find any difference. Because of different markets the specs might change a bit but the quality of finish would pretty much be almost identical.

Also, Thailand production (of all manufacturers) has come a long long way since the olden days...so don't let it be a turn off.

53 minutes ago, Nirosha said:

When I bought my 2 sedan the sedan was from Thailand and the Hatch from Japan. I sat in and poked around both extensively before deciding on the sedan. As iRage said, there is no difference in build and assembly quality, both are at a very high standard.

I doubt the shock mount issue will recur as they said it was a manufacturing issue for certain parts and such things are sorted out on the run when they come to light. Anyway it appears quite early and the warranty will take care of it. 

1 hour ago, Nirosha said:

Dont worry about ownership cost. For the first 4-5 years its only servicing if you take care of the car. Change oil and filters every 10,000 Km's- that costs around 17-20 K at colonial. Regular service is every 5000kms which comes to about 3-4 k Air filters  are about 6-7 k and I am sure you can find it cheaper outside.

I personally prefer the look of the hatch- 7.2 eh? My collegue baught it brand new for 4.6 in 2016 as it was introduced!

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Hmmm....at one point they had the sedan out of Thailand and the hatch out of Japan...then they planned to shift all of the Mazda 2 (export model) production to Thailand...with knockdowns being assembled in countries like Vietnam. I wonder what is actually happening now...perhaps the Thai factory can't keep up with the volumes ?

Anyway...Mazda is probably the only manufacturer where if you take a Thai built model and a Japanese built model you will hardly find any difference. Because of different markets the specs might change a bit but the quality of finish would pretty much be almost identical.

Also, Thailand production (of all manufacturers) has come a long long way since the olden days...so don't let it be a turn off.

2 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

When I bought my 2 sedan the sedan was from Thailand and the Hatch from Japan. I sat in and poked around both extensively before deciding on the sedan. As iRage said, there is no difference in build and assembly quality, both are at a very high standard.

I doubt the shock mount issue will recur as they said it was a manufacturing issue for certain parts and such things are sorted out on the run when they come to light. Anyway it appears quite early and the warranty will take care of it. 

The Carmart and the CM gave me different prices for the same product (or may be CM for the highest option and the Carmart for the basic model). But you all only talk about the CM. That means there is something with the Carmart. Another thing is the Carmat person told that the shipment will take place at the end of the year! (more than 5 months ....!!!!!) due to a new design of the Mazda 2 hatch!?

2 hours ago, RWD said:

Dont worry about ownership cost. For the first 4-5 years its only servicing if you take care of the car. Change oil and filters every 10,000 Km's- that costs around 17-20 K at colonial. Regular service is every 5000kms which comes to about 3-4 k Air filters  are about 6-7 k and I am sure you can find it cheaper outside.

I personally prefer the look of the hatch- 7.2 eh? My collegue baught it brand new for 4.6 in 2016 as it was introduced!

OK. Thanks.

Eh.. 3Mil difference in two years..!!! Now they have the market no...<_<

9 hours ago, Nirosha said:

The Carmart and the CM gave me different prices for the same product (or may be CM for the highest option and the Carmart for the basic model). But you all only talk about the CM. That means there is something with the Carmart. Another thing is the Carmat person told that the shipment will take place at the end of the year! (more than 5 months ....!!!!!) due to a new design of the Mazda 2 hatch!?

Uhh..well..sometime back carmart kind of had a bit of an unsavory reputation as an agent....I don't know if they have gotten there act together by now or not. But mind you this was quite a long way back....so hopefully things have changed.

The next gen Demio is supposed to be released this fall with deliveries starting towards the end of the year (the Axela will soon follow...to be honest I can't remember if the Axela is first and the Demio next or the other way around...)

The current Demio will be on sale until then, but I suppose the local agent doesn't want to bring it down as part of their usual stock. I suppose you could also special order it but that would cost you a bit more I reckon....

Edited by iRage

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Uhh..well..sometime back carmart kind of had a bit of an unsavory reputation as an agent....I don't know if they have gotten there act together by now or not. But mind you this was quite a long way back....so hopefully things have changed.

The next gen Demio is supposed to be released this fall with deliveries starting towards the end of the year (the Axela will soon follow...to be honest I can't remember if the Axela is first and the Demio next or the other way around...)

The current Demio will be on sale until then, but I suppose the local agent doesn't want to bring it down as part of their usual stock. I suppose you could also special order it but that would cost you a bit more I reckon....

hmm. That means the current model of the Demio is at the end of life. In about 8-9 months a new release! Worth the wait ...!? Since I am planing to use for long term.

The CM didn't told anything about the new release.

19 minutes ago, Nirosha said:

hmm. That means the current model of the Demio is at the end of life. In about 8-9 months a new release! Worth the wait ...!? Since I am planing to use for long term.

Its up to you....the word is that the new one will come out at the end of this year....at least in Japan....but then you also have to consider what would happen with the import tax structure as well....so ..yeah...its up to you to look at all these and figure out if you should wait or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nirosha said:

The 3/Axela is at the end of its lifecycle- a new gen is expected to debut in 2019 with the next generation of Skyactiv X engines. The Mazda2/Demio will probably go through a mild facelift this year and the next gen will debut in 2020 I think? - Mazda's don't do drastic facelifts generally seing how the current gen 3 has hardly evolved since its debut in 2014.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RWD said:

The 3/Axela is at the end of its lifecycle- a new gen is expected to debut in 2019 with the next generation of Skyactiv X engines. The Mazda2/Demio will probably go through a mild facelift this year and the next gen will debut in 2020 I think? - Mazda's don't do drastic facelifts generally seing how the current gen 3 has hardly evolved since its debut in 2014.

Actually, things are quite confusing when it comes to changes with Mazda since of recent times. What seems like facelifts in fact end up being actual model changes. The CX-5 changed from KE to KF; and there hardly is a difference at first glance and people think it is a facelift. Then with the Atenza the dash changed drastically like it was a newer car but the car itself remained the same during a "facelift".

The Atenza got the same physical/engine "change" as the CX-5 a few months ago and will go on sale in a few months but its unclear if it is actually a model change as Mazda published it only as an "Improved" Atenza. The same with the Demio...the "Improved" Demio is supposed to be shown around Autumn this year with deliveries towards beginning 2019...and the Axela the treatment (shown around the end of this year and on sale around mid-late 2019). 

Basically whatever it maybe they do seem to be introducing the KAI inspired front end along with the new engines (granted there seems to be talk of the X going only in to the Axela for now). 

Guys, Thanks a lot for your great support. But sadly i decided not to go for the Mazda 2. I thought it is useless to spend such money with the agents after reading your comments. Therefore I tried to find a good importer to bring down one from the Japan. Sadly I did not found a good one Including *ndra *raders, *shara *traders and lot more. Even two of people who I know gave me 7.8 Mil quote for Mazda 3 hatch with +15,000 KM mileage. And they did not gave me a proper breakdown for that price either.

Finally I found a person through my friend with very good comment. He gave me all the details and procedure on how to import one. Also gave me the price breakdown, which is very reasonable. I found a good car (2017 Mazda Axela Sports. rating 5) with 15km mileage, 360 camera etc. I made an offer of JPY 1.625 Mil but the owner did not sell for that price (the same car was in one price websites for JPY 1.7 Mil). But my importer was able to negotiate with him for JPY 1.642 Mil. When we going to pay for that car, the auction system had increased the price again. So I dropped it.

Next I found a good car with mileage less than 1000 KM, 2017 Mazda Axela Sports. I won it for JPY 1.595 Mil. I think it does not has 360 camera :(. Now it's on way from Japan :).

The funny thing is I saw lately the car I was going to buy for 1.642 Mil was sold for 1.61 Mil few days back. 

@Supra_Natural Thanks a lot for convincing me to Mazda from Ford and your great guidance given me. Also Thanks a lot @iRage, @RWD for your valuable comments.

• Like 1

Thank IRage. Did against all the friends and family members Toyota advice :action-smiley-060:. These are from the dealer when at their yard. Will post more when arrived.

BM5FS-409243-2.JPG

BM5FS-409243-4.JPG

BM5FS-409243-9.JPG

BM5FS-409243-11.JPG

BM5FS-409243-12.JPG

BM5FS-409243-14.JPG

• Like 1

Congrats. Im too a happy and proud owner of 2016 axela sedan(15s Proactiv). Like you said people who advised negatively ,surprised big time by the looks, options and most importantly for the fuel figures.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 2

Good choice to get the hatch- its a refreshing change to all the sedans on the road. You won't regret it. Mazda3/Axela is a wonderful car. Somehow it manages to feel and drive better than it's sum of parts - take care of it and it won't let you down  

• Like 2

On 4/29/2018 at 8:51 AM, Nirosha said:

Thank IRage. Did against all the friends and family members Toyota advice :action-smiley-060:. These are from the dealer when at their yard. Will post more when arrived.

BM5FS-409243-2.JPG

BM5FS-409243-4.JPG

BM5FS-409243-9.JPG

BM5FS-409243-11.JPG

BM5FS-409243-12.JPG

BM5FS-409243-14.JPG

Great choice mate, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the car. Agents should be able to sort you out for any maintenance as I assume it's the same 1.5 Skyactiv engine and 6 speed box that the 2 has. What is your final landed price going to be?

• Like 1

Supra, Have you got i stop in your 2 or 6?.Guys at colonial  asked me to disable the i stop permanently .According to them i stop will put undue stress on starter motor and 12v battery?.   Whats your experience on it?. Hope this well help Nirosha as well as Im having similar setup to Nirosha.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, H.C said:

Supra, Have you got i stop in your 2 or 6?.Guys at colonial  asked me to disable the i stop permanently .According to them i stop will put undue stress on starter motor and 12v battery?.   Whats your experience on it?. Hope this well help Nirosha as well as Im having similar setup to Nirosha.

This is true. A lot of 6's have disabled I-stops because of the battery strain. Colonial recommends this because the most common complaint about the mazda6 is battery drain.

• Like 1

Thanks. Its bit difficult to convince myself to disable a factory option. Anyway it almost stranded me middle of the road few days back. I'll have to disable it with next service.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

On 5/4/2018 at 3:49 AM, H.C said:

Is this an issue specific to Sri Lankan driving conditions? It kind of makes sense considering how bad our traffic is with constant braking and accelerating all the time. Also disappointing that this is how people are forced to drive.