• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

H4 Hid Or Led

sira

Question

Dear Friends

I'm planing to replace my EK3 head light bulbs with HID or LED. can you all let me know what is the best HID kits and Price of them

I checked the Philips got good stuff and looks they are expensive -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-PHILIPS-H4-Hi-Lo-Beam-6000K-HID-CANBUS-Conversion-Kit-/262081036086

Also now LED Head lights are available. how about them ? are they more efficient then HID

Please advice

Sira

I recently replaced my fogs with hid xennon 6000k.

A bulb cost 3300/-

First they quoted 3500/-

I had the whole kit bought 4 years ago @ Su# L#nka near Lanka hospitals for 18000/-

(2 bulbs + 2 conversion kits+ 2 fog lights)

I 'm pretty sure they will cost more now

I used them for 4 years without a problem but one bulb started to give me trouble and other went completely blind so that I had to replace both.

The dude who replaced them said it is better to go for LEDs as they are cheap and good for the battery.

But they wont last long as HIDs

Edited by sathyajithj99

For the 100 millionth time do not fix hid's on a reflector housing. You will be blinding everyone ahead and don't be surprised when people start reacting to it. Just use a good pair of halogens.

If you do have a projector housing buy bi-xenon hid kit. Kensun kit can be bought for around 70-80 usd and is the best bang for the buck brand (out of the reliable brands) . A Philips kit will set you back $150 or lore.

All of this has been discussed over and over many times, do a search.

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 2

Neither. Heed Stig's words above. If you're going to do it, do a proper retrofit with HID capable projectors, or buy a set of halogens like Osram Nightbreakers (What I've been using since 2011). I'm known for usually driving head on towards idiots with HIDs because the glare blinds me.

Neither. Heed Stig's words above. If you're going to do it, do a proper retrofit with HID capable projectors, or buy a set of halogens like Osram Nightbreakers (What I've been using since 2011). I'm known for usually driving head on towards idiots with HIDs because the glare blinds me.

This is true. That's the reason I only use HID xenon in fog lamps. My head lights are halogens as they came from the company

I heard those nightbreakers don't last long. Is that true?

Edited by sathyajithj99

This is true. That's the reason I only use HID xenon in fog lamps. My head lights are halogens as they came from the company

I heard those nightbreakers don't last long. Is that true?

They last around 1 year to 1.5 years on normal usage. That is the draw back with these, but not a huge issue IMO.

My Nightbreakers lasted for the entire duration the car was with me, which was 4 years and one month.

Also the new Unlimited variant is supposed to last better ( I saw somewhere you had the old 'Plus' variant ?)

haha i am highly offended :P mate...

well my issue was this, even after i put those 100w bulbs with relays and all it took a tole on my head light n indicator stalk. Sadly the stalk was burnt, which was replaced also it has the wear on headlight housing coz of heat.

so tried HID's which was a complete waste, light all over the place but not the road... finally solution came in the form of Osram bulbs :)

Edited by Muditha420

haha i am highly offended :P mate...

well my issue was this, even after i put those 100w bulbs with relays and all it took a tole on my head light n indicator stalk. Sadly the stalk was burnt, which was replaced also it has the wear on headlight housing coz of heat.

so tried HID's which was a complete waste, light all over the place but not the road... finally solution came in the form of Osram bulbs :)

If the electrician wired the relays correctly, they should not drain current through existing head lamp circuit and should not make heat.

People with 9006(HB4) projectors might be able to get away with Xenon low beams, since the light output from those bulbs isn't directional like they are in H4. I've got a set of 9006 Xenons on the way to experiment with, as well a whole complement of 9005/9006 Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs.

i saw the same osram nigh breakers in a delkanda spares shop for about 4k. I think i need the h3 ones, because my head and dim are 2 different sections in the headlamp.

$_35.JPG

Make sure that they are Nightbreaker Unlimited. The Plus is out of production now, as is the regular Nightbreaker series.

• Like 1

HID for H4 bulbs arent that suscessful because H4 bulbs normally come with dual filament halogens, meaning you have two different power for low and high beam but you cant apply this when it comes to HID. HID only has one power output so when you use your high beam the light beam just moves upwards and bit towards to the right which will not illumniated the objects closer to your vehicle. Also as mentioned earlier most housings made for H4 bulbs weren't designed for HID hence they give out glare

Its the same story with LED

HID for H4 bulbs arent that suscessful because H4 bulbs normally come with dual filament halogens, meaning you have two different power for low and high beam but you cant apply this when it comes to HID. HID only has one power output so when you use your high beam the light beam just moves upwards and bit towards to the right which will not illumniated the objects closer to your vehicle. Also as mentioned earlier most housings made for H4 bulbs weren't designed for HID hence they give out glare

Its the same story with LED

Erm nope, thats not the reason. HIDs also come with dual filament versions called Bi-xenon. They work the same way as any H4 bulb would. The reason HIDs scatter light is because the length of the HID bulb is longer than a halogen and the arc which generates light is simple further away from the reflector housing. Which means because of the difference in the point where light is generated the focal point of the housing changes

hid20focal20point20diff.jpg

• Like 4