• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Heat When A/c Is On

Hi,

I have a Suzuki Swift TH51s YOM 2003. Recently I noticed engine heat in increasing When vehicle is stuck in traffic and A/C is ON. Heat Indicator rise upto 3/4. Indicator comes back to normal when I switch off A/C. No any other noticeable changes (fan is working,water/oil level is normal) Did any one experienced same and fixed ? Please help

Thanks

engine heat in increasing When vehicle is stuck in traffic and A/C is ON

Not having practical experience but willing to add what I guess for this matter.

• Engine is running at idle speed.
  • AC ON means it needs extra power.
  • Since the vehicle does not move, the air comes though the radiator is not sufficient to cool down the heated coolant/water.

You may;

1. Check whether Idle up working as it should be
  2. Inspect any corrosion inside radiator / coolant / or water ( Color changed to brown )
  3. Check whether the AC Compressor is having no issues (Including pulley & belts)
  4. Check whether the Radiator Fan is not having any minor defects.

See maintenance record to get an idea about how old the coolant is. (May be right time to replace?)

But before that; getting a good mechanic to see what the problem is worth.

Edited by Nishan.dj
  • Like 2

Not having practical experience but willing to add what I guess for this matter.
  • Engine is running at idle speed.
  • AC ON means it needs extra power.
  • Since the vehicle does not move, the air comes though the radiator is not sufficient to cool down the heated coolant/water.

You may;

2. Inspect any corrosion inside radiator / coolant / or water ( Color changed to brown )
  3. Check whether the AC Compressor is having no issues (Including pulley & belts)
  4. Check whether the Radiator Fan is not having any minor defects.

See maintenance record to get an idea about how old the coolant is. (May be right time to replace?)

But before that; getting a good mechanic to see what the problem is worth.

2,3,4 checked. What did you mean by "

"

2,3,4 checked. What did you mean by "

"

When the AC is engaged the engine RPM should increase to compensate for the additional load put on the engine by the compressor.

Your issue could be a partially blocked/clogged radiator or a failing fan.

It could be an issue with the AC system as well, something like a low gas situation. In that case the compressor would take a lot of time to disengage resulting in more work for the AC condenser (Which is located right in front of the radiator). This could hamper the cooling performance of the radiator.

• Like 1

I replaced my AC condenser about 9 months ago. When replacing garage guys covered for sides between radiator and condenser with sponge (in order to flow whole air suck by radiator fan come thru condenser) Will that can be the problem? (Because it somewhat limits the air flow to the radiator). AC gas level is ok, radiator fan speed levels are ok (checked with OBD scanner) and I can here fan is working and when the heat is up.

I did a OBD scan because check engine light light after gasket replace. (due to not connected lambda sensor). I told scan guy about heating problem and he checked fan configurations and there are no issues.

wait... you replaced the head gasket? if yes, what was the problem?

when temp gauge shows a higher value, does A/C still blow cool air?

do a mall test, once u reproduce this, with AC, put to N and give some throttle to increase the RPM up to 3K-3.5K, keep it, check the behavior (further increase or decrease ).

when temp gauge shows a higher value, does A/C still blow cool air?

do a mall test, once u reproduce this, with AC, put to N and give some throttle to increase the RPM up to 3K-3.5K, keep it, check the behavior (further increase or decrease ).

Yes, AC is still cool.

Ok, I'l try and update.

I did a OBD scan because check engine light light after gasket replace. (due to not connected lambda sensor). I told scan guy about heating problem and he checked fan configurations and there are no issues.

To my knowledge we cant check the exact RPM through a OBD scanner only parameter you can get is fan on/off status (discrete)

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a Suzuki Swift TH51s YOM 2003. Recently I noticed engine heat in increasing When vehicle is stuck in traffic and A/C is ON. Heat Indicator rise upto 3/4. Indicator comes back to normal when I switch off A/C. No any other noticeable changes (fan is working,water/oil level is normal) Did any one experienced same and fixed ? Please help

Thanks

any coolant loss after a trip like 10-15min traffic ? if yes

do following

check ur radiator cap ,

do full service for radiator (removed it and check for blockage) ,

fill with new coolant,

install new radiator cap ,

ask radiator repair guy to check

water pump status (professionals know how to)

thermostat

looks like ur fan RPM ok but not coolant flow inside engine,

• Like 1

Had a similar issue with my previous Mazda Familia.

Temperature meter tended to increase only during heavy traffic irrelevant of the gear position D, N or Park.

1. Due to this I flushed the radiator and topped up with new coolant (after service of course)
  2. Replaced Radiator Cap
  3. Had a full service done of the A/C system including replacement of filters.

However the problem still persisted, until I found out that there was a Knocking sound coming from the engine when picking up from traffic.

Replaced spark plugs and had a throttle body clean up, problem solved.

Did not face issues with Heating neither engine knock afterwards.

Just check if you have the same issue of engine knock when you try to pick up from a halted position, it gave a ignition kind of noise even though no notifications on the dashboard were indicated.

Hope it helps :)

• Like 1

I had a same issue in my Chevy which I used few years ago. there are two fans for the radiator. if one is not functioning this issue might occur. I went to lal alawatte's place. there was a person for electronic and these types of work, he is a calm person. even if this place is not recommended by many, he did a good job by solving the issue on the fan. as I remember it was a problem in the electronic circuit. Im not an expert to explain the whole thing. He also said that this issue might come due to some problems in the thermostat.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jayanathkarunarathna" data-cid="285749" data-time="1446450714"><p>

Checked, And working fine.</p></blockquote>

Does the fan engage when you turn on the car and ac from a cold start and disengage when you turn off the ac?

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I think I mentioned I have replaced my radiator fan some time back. I went to a A/C service person when I face this issue again and he showed me that my replaced ac fan wings are about 1 inch shorter than the original fan size. He had a matching fan and replaced it (cost only Rs500). After that I face heating issue only when go to Nuwara Eliya-Horton plains (Think it is acceptable). Thanks all for you valuable feedback.

This sounds like a case of trafficitis just get a mechanic who has worked in the middle east. He'll have a better idea on what to check.and if you drive an auto, change the atf .. Don't wait till it's too late as hill climbing is stressful to both engine and transmission.

I agree, that maintaining an appropriate operating temperature is important. yet, overdoing it will eventually give you a head ache.

Edited by Twin Turbo