• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Electronic Carburetor Tune

fiatLife

Question

Hi all,

i have been following you all's post and advice's and what not in this forum. And yes i have used the search function before i am posting this question.

My car has an electronic carb, or a sensor carb as you may call. Aaaand many mechanics are reluctant to tune the carb because of that reason. I have went to like 3 or 4 people, also called Mr.Dhammika at cotta road, and also IMTC to see if they do my car. But nope, they dont do this specific make.

I want to know if any of you have electronic.sensor carbs? aaand is there any person you can recommend me for this.

btw, my car is a Fiat Bravo 1996 MK1.

The reason behind im going for a tuneup is that because of the low fuel consumption, does like 5km/l when the tank is below the halfway mark, will do like 8km/l above the halfway mark.

Air Filter is good, changed oil filter, new spark plugs are all there. and there is no issue/leaks with the exhaust.

Sorry in advance for the longer thread

fneo9i.jpg

2djnbd3.jpg

Edited by fiatLife
  • Like 1

18 answers to this question

This is not exactly a "sensor carb" - a term usually associated with Honda carbs that came with a O2 sensor and control unit (PGM) - but a Single Point Fuel Injection system by Bosch (mono motronic EFI) . In fact it is not a lot different from more common EFI systems of the present day car models except that it does not make use of a MAP or MAF sensor. Hence the air/fuel ratio is heavily dependent on the O2 sensor performance. However, for you to get the problem diagnosed you have to find a mechanic with the specific scanner. Although we call it a "tune up" all what can be done in a EFI system is to clean and/or replace faulty/worn out parts if any. BTW do you get a warning lamp?

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 2

Hi Rumesh88,

woow, thats a lot of info. Thanks for the details. :D nope, no warning lights and all. so change o2 sensor you say?

and yes its single point :) my bad

No. I was just suggesting the most likely reason but unless it is diagnosed and confirmed as being faulty there is no point in blindly replacing it. This type of fuel injection systems must have come with other European cars such as Skoda but I don't know if those models are here in SL. Let's see if there are other members in AL who can recommend someone.

No. I was just suggesting the most likely reason but unless it is diagnosed and confirmed as being faulty there is no point in blindly replacing it. This type of fuel injection systems must have come with other European cars such as Skoda but I don't know if those models are here in SL. Let's see if there are other members in AL who can recommend someone.

:( called Noel, but seems he is busy as phone is not answering

Noel is the man. If he doesn't answer, call him again... :)

Not much happens in Fiats or Alfas that he can't fix.

:D yeah called him few hours ago, and he knows about my car very well, from the roots :D:P but he also told some scary stuff that i might need to replace if things get worse, like timing belt and all.

:D yeah called him few hours ago, and he knows about my car very well, from the roots :D:P but he also told some scary stuff that i might need to replace if things get worse, like timing belt and all.

Well, if you are serious about Italian ownership, some sacrifices will have to be made. If oyu plan on cutting corners, sell it and buy a Maruti... :)

Well, if you are serious about Italian ownership, some sacrifices will have to be made. If oyu plan on cutting corners, sell it and buy a Maruti... :)

amen to that :D aand i dont plan on selling anytime soon, vl see how it goes. Its just a matter of spending money to the last cent in one go, or gradually build up. i prefer the latter option with my tight budget ;)Thanks for the feedback and replies all :)

Timing belt is not something to be scared of. You have change it anyway when the time comes. Please keep the thread updated with what you did cos it is not very often you get to hear about a Fiat car. Also if you have previous Eco certificates check for any improvements after attending to the car. Good luck.

• Like 1

Timing belt is not something to be scared of. You have change it anyway when the time comes. Please keep the thread updated with what you did cos it is not very often you get to hear about a Fiat car. Also if you have previous Eco certificates check for any improvements after attending to the car. Good luck.

sure haha, possibly after 2weeks time i'll update as im with a tight schedule these days :)

Edited by fiatLife

im using single point EFI euro car (Opel Corsa B - 1995 12NZ engine), and had same fuel fingers with A/C when i was buying (3 years back),now im getting 14-15Km/l (mixed driving with A/C)

start with -

1.Injector (only one) seal - replace only cost me 350/-

2.replace horse going from TB (ur electronic carb) to MAP sensor cost 250/- for one feet.

above work u can do it your self if u have tools

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="aps" data-cid="285619" data-time="1446191608"><p>

im using single point EFI euro car (Opel Corsa B - 1995 12NZ engine), and had same fuel fingers with A/C when i was buying (3 years back),now im getting 14-15Km/l (mixed driving with A/C)<br />

<br />

start with -<br />

<br />

1.Injector (only one) seal - replace only cost me 350/-<br />

2.replace horse going from TB (ur electronic carb) to MAP sensor cost 250/- for one feet.<br />

above work u can do it your self if u have tools </p></blockquote>

Thanks for the reply aps, From where did u get the parts from? Also where did u fix it, I dnt have the tools :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="aps" data-cid="285619" data-time="1446191608"><p>

im using single point EFI euro car (Opel Corsa B - 1995 12NZ engine), and had same fuel fingers with A/C when i was buying (3 years back),now im getting 14-15Km/l (mixed driving with A/C)<br />

<br />

start with -<br />

<br />

1.Injector (only one) seal - replace only cost me 350/-<br />

2.replace horse going from TB (ur electronic carb) to MAP sensor cost 250/- for one feet.<br />

above work u can do it your self if u have tools </p></blockquote>

Thanks for the reply aps, From where did u get the parts from? Also where did u fix it, I dnt have the tools :)

Seal - from Auto A/C repair person, people who repair injectors has spares but they wnt give if ur not repairing/cleaning injector

do take sample(old seal) save ur time.

rubber horse - any auto shop will give. so take sample(old horse) tell that u will be using for TB, they will give correct type which is expensive (1 feet 250/- ) also keep the distance between TB and MAP sensor very short.

u only need flat screw drivers to open TB housing, and good allen key set to unbolt then take out injector,replace the rubber ring(this is not an ordinary ring which should work in high pressure+petrol) between injector & TB injector holder

Edited by aps
  • Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="aps" data-cid="285626" data-time="1446196769"><p>

<br />

Seal - from Auto A/C repair person, people who repair injectors has spares but they wnt give if ur not repairing/cleaning injector <br />

do take sample(old seal) save ur time.<br />

<br />

rubber horse - any auto shop will give. so take sample(old horse) tell that u will be using for TB, they will give correct type which is expensive (1 feet 250/- ) also keep the distance between TB and MAP sensor very short. <br />

<br />

u only need flat screw drivers to open TB housing, and good allen key set to unbolt then take out injector,replace the rubber ring(this is not an ordinary ring which should work in high pressure+petrol) between injector & TB injector holder</p></blockquote>

Thanks aps. Will dig into this

just an update on the tuning of my Bravo, seems like there is no error codes, the engine seems fine. and needs the Bosch scanner to reset the engine, cant do with the normal scanners, Bosch scanner is too much pricey and i guess the scanner should be rare in SL, now the task is to find a place with a Bosch scanner

just an update on the tuning of my Bravo, seems like there is no error codes, the engine seems fine. and needs the Bosch scanner to reset the engine, cant do with the normal scanners, Bosch scanner is too much pricey and i guess the scanner should be rare in SL, now the task is to find a place with a Bosch scanner

I'm only suggesting this because you said Bosch, but any chance that the D*MO Bosch service centre might have it? The place is fairly well equipped in general & the works manager there Ajith is very helpful - might be worth giving him a call to check if they have a scanner

• Like 1

just an update on the issue, EFI issue is fixed now, took to noel. He cleaned the injectors and the fuel line and replaced fuel filter. Now the car is doing like 6.5 avg in colombo traffic. Went to gampaha and came back (90+km) and the car has done like 8-9km/l. Mind that i do drive the car hard at times if the roads are safe.

Also replaced the fuel pressure pump as there was a issue with gradually flooring the pedal and the acceleration was low. BTW noel didnt plug in the scanner as he dont have the 3pin one, but all and all the fuel consumption issues are fixed :)

• Like 1