• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cone Air Filter - Enhance Fuel Economy

LancerL

Question

Is there a significant enhancement in fuel economy by replacing existing paper based air filter with Cone Air filter (Washable and reuse) in a regular car?

I have seen some people using this on their cars.

12 answers to this question

If you just want a wash and reusable air filter(plus a slight increase of power),K&N makes filters that fit most air boxes.Just go to their website enter the make,model etc of your car and get the serial number of the filter.Then check with Motorcade if they have it or just order directly from the website.

• Like 3

well if your car is in factory spec, do not mess with your Air intake at all!, assuming you're talking about a Jap car here, if it's so good japz would have installed it for you machan :)

• Like 1

I would like to register a disadvantage in using a cone filter when comparing with box filter.

The box type filter has the capability to prevent entering water inside the engine.

It is designed in a manner to eliminate water in case of water (or any other liquid) spillage inside the air inlet.

And allows less or relatively no water molecules inside the engine.

Water in any form reduce the engine power consequently more smoky exhaust.

The box filter also prevents any coarse materials which enters and instantly eliminates those.

In order for this, there is a hole underneath the filter box helps this.

It passively filter air, water and other coarse particles.

Its up to you to decide on replacing your stock air filter system.

I would like to register a disadvantage in using a cone filter when comparing with box filter.

The box type filter has the capability to prevent entering water inside the engine.

It is designed in a manner to eliminate water in case of water (or any other liquid) spillage inside the air inlet.

And allows less or relatively no water molecules inside the engine.

Water in any form reduce the engine power consequently more smoky exhaust.

The box filter also prevents any coarse materials which enters and instantly eliminates those.

In order for this, there is a hole underneath the filter box helps this.

It passively filter air, water and other coarse particles.

Its up to you to decide on replacing your stock air filter system.

yes, for example 4age blacktop engine comes with a filter box like every other engine, some remove it and use corn/pod filters and some remove the complete housing and go for velocity stacks. but none of them will help to improve fuel economy, but there are certain aspects of doing them, depends on the application , low end power etc etc, any ways i suggest to keep the box as Don mentioned and go for a performance filter like K&N or OEM filter. Because our roads are too dusty use either of above mentioned methods , unless you are willing to accept the consequences :)

Edited by tuner88

@MD, can you order directly from the K&N site? If I remember right, they just refer you to their local dealer listing, ie Motorcade for us. Wanted a pair for a bike but Motorcade wanted a kidney for it!

You're right,I forgot.There is no check out on the site .What I did was email them regarding the Triumph's air filters and someone got back to me from their California Headquarters as I remember.Or might have been a reseller in CA.Not sure.But he was able to get the custom TR2/3/3A filters for me.Here's the post I made - http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13459-triumph-t-r-restore-project/?p=238152

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MasterDon" data-cid="285183" data-time="1445596972"><p>

<br />

You're right,I forgot.There is no check out on the site .What I did was email them regarding the Triumph's air filters and someone got back to me from their California Headquarters as I remember.Or might have been a reseller in CA.Not sure.But he was able to get the custom TR2/3/3A filters for me.Here's the post I made - <a href='http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13459-triumph-t-r-restore-project/?p=238152'>http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13459-triumph-t-r-restore-project/?p=238152</a></p></blockquote>

Thanks MD

Didn't occur to me to actually write to them! Will do that now and see what gives.