• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Jerk / Hiccup After Timing Belt Change - Honda Ek Civic

nsiva

Issues after timing belt change

I have a 2000 Honda EK3 civic and recently changed its timing belt as it has run about 200,000km. It was done in a local garage as the agent told that timing belt is not available with them. So i dropped the idea of doing that in colombo.

After the belt change two issues have come.

1. When suddenly accelerating from stop position, or with bonnet open when i pull the throttle lever - engine jerks as if the engine mounts are broken like that.

2. When idling at parking gear, the rom doesn't vary much. But the car periodically jerks and when i watch the exhaust pipe - it gives some hiccups like jerk (is it called missing? This happens when engine has reached operating temperature.

Since thus was done in a local workshop, the mechanic told he has not replaced honda belts but has done toyota belt changes. He said that the crank pulley rotation is anti-clockwise and had doubt about the crank pulley bolt loosening direction. My car's crank pulley bolt needs a special tool for bolt removal- which he didn't have.

In toyotas according to him, when one wrench is put on crank pulley bolt, if we crank slightly - bolt will loosen. He tried that but the bolt got further tightened with some jerk. Since he didnt have the special tool, then he hit slightly the crank pulley on the timing mark groove while holding the wrench in crank pulley bolt to loosen it. Can it damage the crank bearings and create issue?

Is this bolt loosening method the reason for the engine mount jerk when accelerating (issue 1).

Regarding issue 2, i checked when he aligned the belt drive pulley & camshaft driven pulley in timing marks. But not sure whether timing should be adjusted on hot engine.

Guys please give your valuable comments on what i can do to get rid of these issues?

Note: When he showed the first engine start after timing belt changed, engine running was perfect as it was a cold engine. The hesistation/ miss started when i arrived home only!

Thanks in advance..!

Hi

T belt change is not a big deal and almost all cars are same. how ever it will be better if you get this corrected by Honda technicians .i can send you a number for a good technician

there will be white color dot on the crank pulley (TDC), you have to lift the wheel and turn the wheel (with gear 3,4) till you see the white dot on the pulley . then open the valve cover and see the cam shaft wheel is in the right position. cam wheel also got 2 white marks which must be at the right position . if not then wrong timing.

post-12208-0-33163000-1445450907_thumb.j

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="sira" data-cid="285030" data-time="1445450918"><p>

Hi<br />

T belt change is not a big deal and almost all cars are same. how ever it will be better if you get this corrected by Honda technicians .i can send you a number for a good technician<br />

<br />

there will be white color dot on the crank pulley (TDC), you have to lift the wheel and turn the wheel (with gear 3,4) till you see the white dot on the pulley . then open the valve cover and see the cam shaft wheel is in the right position. cam wheel also got 2 white marks which must be at the right position . if not then wrong timing. <br />

<br />

</p></blockquote>

Thanks Sira.

I ll check like that.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MV-5" data-cid="285032" data-time="1445454348"><p>

this is not related to timing.<br />

check plugs, plug wires,ignition coil assemblies.</p></blockquote>

Hi MV-5,

Before T belt change, these two issues were not there. These started immediately after the replacement work.

Check if any one of the vacuum hoses has become leaky or disconnected particularly the one that connects the PCV valve to inlet manifold. As others have pointed out above the problem may not be due to a timing issue. When was the last time you got the engine tuned up (throttle body cleanup, plug and air cleaner change etc)

friend,

since there was no issue before the t belt change, Do not go and do the tuneup...etc. tuneup should be done by 30K mileage and some cases it is not necessary if the pulling power is good and good fuel economy.

you must fix this first . as others said, it may be issue with HV cables too

sira

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Rumesh88" data-cid="285037" data-time="1445481945"><p>

Check if any one of the vacuum hoses has become leaky or disconnected particularly the one that connects the PCV valve to inlet manifold. As others have pointed out above the problem may not be due to a timing issue. When was the last time you got the engine tuned up (throttle body cleanup, plug and air cleaner change etc)</p></blockquote>

Runesh,

When tappet cover was removed mechanic removed one hose from it. I will double check that.

Actually a full tuneup was done in staff*rd within 10,000km.

So i also now believe this may not be a timing issue.

Thanks.