• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Efficiency Of Hybrid Vehicle

hemvan

At the end of the day, It all depends on how you drive,..

All hybrids have a battery similar to a cellphone in type and tech and we all know what happens to cellular batteries when they grow old,./And Don't get me started on maintaining the Hybrid drivetrain,..

Toyota HSD's drive train is much much simpler than any conventional drive train. It really has no gearbox, just a planetary gear system hooked up to a reduction drive.

@ Crishan

What made you think i bought a hybrid just to run 10km's? It should be 20km's since i don't live in office!! Other fact is that i have so many other traveling needs apart from going to office and back. Like you mentioned before, why you need to grab a cab when you still can walk all the way to office by using that SIMPLE THEORY!!. lolz

@dhanuFB15,

According to you I made a foolish decision buying a hybrid to travel 10km's..And you drive what..a FB15??? Give me a hammer!!

Guys it's simple.. Stop posting here if you ain't driving a hybrid!! I wish you guys have the luxury to drive a hybrid of your own one day. With ya comments i find that you two are having a time in pumping petrol..Don't forget there are few lucky one's out there who's petrol are been paid by the company!.

95% of the car hunters buy a hybrid cuz they wants to and there's always this 5% adding comments cuz they can't afford to!! lolzzz

No mate if i am u ,it means not frequently runner i brought axio mate...Aha u think i have FB 15 by looking my username.....Lol it my first car and now i am using allion mate...

anyway i never under estimate your decision but i am considering battery pack plus reselling value of a hybrid.Another thing in here we post out opinions, don't underestimate people here,as you brought hybrid we all can brought it without any hesitate , but use brain and identify prons and crons first then invest on it....Money doesn't make brain :D

Edited by dhanuFB15

"No mate if i am u ,it means not frequently runner i brought axio mate...Aha u think i have FB 15 by looking my username.....Lol it my first car and now i am using allion mate...

anyway i never under estimate your decision but i am considering battery pack plus reselling value of a hybrid.Another thing in here we post out opinions, don't underestimate people here,as you brought hybrid we all can brought it without any hesitate , but use brain and identify prons and crons first then invest on it....Money doesn't make brain :D"

When posting your opinions just make sure to post it without offending someone else's comment! Your pros and cons in looking at things will never be the same for another..And yeah..Money doesn't make brain..So use your brain when posting comments here!

Will not waste my time in unproductive comments hereafter! Tc

Edited by Shack

When posting your opinions just make sure to post it without offending someone else's comment! Your pros and cons in looking at things will never be the same for another..And yeah..Money doesn't make brain..So use your brain when posting comments here!

Will not waste my time in unproductive comments hereafter! Tc

This is forum friend, u ask question and post opinions, peoples without brain dont accept anything,,,they think they are correct ...anyway i also dont spend my valuable time to talking with such idiot

@ Crishan

What made you think i bought a hybrid just to run 10km's? It should be 20km's since i don't live in office!! Other fact is that i have so many other traveling needs apart from going to office and back. Like you mentioned before, why you need to grab a cab when you still can walk all the way to office by using that SIMPLE THEORY!!. lolz

@dhanuFB15,

According to you I made a foolish decision buying a hybrid to travel 10km's..And you drive what..a FB15??? Give me a hammer!!

Guys it's simple.. Stop posting here if you ain't driving a hybrid!! I wish you guys have the luxury to drive a hybrid of your own one day. With ya comments i find that you two are having a time in pumping petrol..Don't forget there are few lucky one's out there who's petrol are been paid by the company!.

95% of the car hunters buy a hybrid cuz they wants to and there's always this 5% adding comments cuz they can't afford to!! lolzzz

95% car hunters in Sri Lanka buy hybrids because they are at least a couple of million cheaper than the conventional variant of the same/similar car. Then they get a superiority complex because they need to conceal the fact that they bought a cheap car. It's like the guys who brag about their penis sizes in school.

• Like 7

95% car hunters in Sri Lanka buy hybrids because they are at least a couple of million cheaper than the conventional variant of the same/similar car. Then they get a superiority complex because they need to conceal the fact that they bought a cheap car. It's like the guys who brag about their penis sizes in school.

100% agreed. Some people buy because of trend. I saw some people use their hybrids in weekends for 10-20 kms.....Useless

Really? Apart from the Japanese SUVs and the Corolla and Mazda 3, the rest of the Japanese hybrids have no regular equivalent. I think you're thinking about Euros which are much higher in the price range.

Hi Shack, welcome to the forum! Just a friendly heads up, if you go around throwing phrases like "Luxury of owning a hybrid vehicle" and don't expect to get offended by the responses you might get around here, you're in for a surprise.

Regardless, you have your reasons for your purchase decision which is fair enough.What others were pointing out is to do with the overall cost of owning the vehicle. To see a sizeable economic benefit, what you save on fuel has to cover the additional maintenance costs. So if you anyway drive a lot during a month, you save quite a lot of money compared to a conventional car. If you don't use the car a lot, what you save on fuel will easily be drained out at services and, on the longer term, a repair or replacement of the battery.

• Like 2

@ Shack- Driving a hybrid is not a luxury... maybe his Allion is worth more than your aqua in this funny Sri Lankan car market :)

Yes that a reality. If u not running 100 km or more, axio will worth in all the hands, Defenetly allions ,premios will have better than aquas in second hand market

Really? Apart from the Japanese SUVs and the Corolla and Mazda 3, the rest of the Japanese hybrids have no regular equivalent. I think you're thinking about Euros which are much higher in the price range.

I think what is trying to be conveyed here is that when what ever manufacturer releases a new Hybrid model or a Hybrid variant of an existing model, one can be 100000% certain that it will be brought down to Sri Lanka because of how the import tax system works here. e.g. the Subaru XV or the Toyota Sienta or even the VellFire/Alphard...Wagon R, Hustler, etc....no one in the SL car market cared a rats @$$ about these models before the Hybrid variants. If a hybrid variant of the Lapin comes out I am sure even that will come here in herds...

Yes you are right that there are only a few models that have both Hybrid and ICE variants....but then there is a whole sea full of other models that are sold in drones in Japan that are purely ICE. But those never make it to our shores because of the tax system. eg. there are some really nice kei cars that put something like an Aqua to shame and gives better gas mileage. but those never make it here..thanks to the taxes....even the Demio....it is as equivalent in fuel efficiency and even much much more superior in driving feel and even accessories, but those too hardly come here (especially the SkyActive Diesel Turbo).

So Crosswinds does make a valid point. To me his words "conventional variant of the same/similar" were used to imply all things being equal apart from it being ICE and Hybrid.

What we are offered in the market are Hybrids because those are the cheapest to bring down and eventually cheaper to sell/purchase (albeit I am not even bothering to throw in the Indian crap in to the mix)

• Like 2

I think what is trying to be conveyed here is that when what ever manufacturer releases a new Hybrid model or a Hybrid variant of an existing model, one can be 100000% certain that it will be brought down to Sri Lanka because of how the import tax system works here. e.g. the Subaru XV or the Toyota Sienta or even the VellFire/Alphard...Wagon R, Hustler, etc....no one in the SL car market cared a rats @$$ about these models before the Hybrid variants. If a hybrid variant of the Lapin comes out I am sure even that will come here in herds...

Yes you are right that there are only a few models that have both Hybrid and ICE variants....but then there is a whole sea full of other models that are sold in drones in Japan that are purely ICE. But those never make it to our shores because of the tax system. eg. there are some really nice kei cars that put something like an Aqua to shame and gives better gas mileage. but those never make it here..thanks to the taxes....even the Demio....it is as equivalent in fuel efficiency and even much much more superior in driving feel and even accessories, but those too hardly come here (especially the SkyActive Diesel Turbo).

So Crosswinds does make a valid point. To me his words "conventional variant of the same/similar" were used to imply all things being equal apart from it being ICE and Hybrid.

What we are offered in the market are Hybrids because those are the cheapest to bring down and eventually cheaper to sell/purchase (albeit I am not even bothering to throw in the Indian crap in to the mix)

Amen

100% agreed. Some people buy because of trend. I saw some people use their hybrids in weekends for 10-20 kms.....Useless

I believe people buy hybrids because its the best bang for the buck. If it was not for Sri Lankan tax scheme hybrids aren't cheap. They are expensive than their non-hybrid equivalent, before taxes.

And if you made your decisions wisely and purchased something else new, instead of more than a decade old Allion 240 , probably you could've avoid many mechanical issues you've mentioned in your other threads in AutoLanka ( http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/17502-check-engine-blink/#entry288167 - There were few more threads from you I'm not gonna post here). Honestly I'm not trying to offend you by any means :agree: , just stating the facts that you are not taking into account. Just maintain an expenses record for all the fuel and repair costs and decide yourself which is best when you purchase your next vehicle. :)

Edited by Goro
  • Like 1

I believe people buy hybrids because its the best bang for the buck. If it was not for Sri Lankan tax scheme hybrids aren't cheap. They are expensive than their non-hybrid equivalent, before taxes.

And if you made your decisions wisely and purchased something else new, instead of more than a decade old Allion 240 , probably you could've avoid many mechanical issues you've mentioned in your other threads in AutoLanka ( http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/17502-check-engine-blink/#entry288167 - There were few more threads from you I'm not gonna post here). Honestly I'm not trying to offend you by any means :agree: , just stating the facts that you are not taking into account. Just maintain an expenses record for all the fuel and repair costs and decide yourself which is best when you purchase your next vehicle. :)

Your "if it was not for the tax scheme..." hypothetical is pretty obvious. But the issue is your fantasy is just that, a fantasy. But at the same time your basis for buying "something else new" is a mechanical issue that was detected and sorted out in 4 days? (less if the 1st mechanic did the job correctly).

What's the "something else new" you propose? Micro Panda? An alto? Have you spoken to someone who's bought a Panda? I genuinely feel bad for them. Micro takes people's money and indefinitely delay delivery. And when inquired the customers are treated like dogs begging for leftover food scraps. And once they get their precious 'new' cars they can be assured to face door handles that break off, head/fog lights that stop working, rattling body parts, hand-brakes that jam after 3-4 days of idle, premature clutch replacements, premature fan replacements, and my favorite, ants eating rubber parts.

And you think the warranty on your 'something new' is great? Numerous owners' door handle started breaking off.. You would think that since its "ape dei" which is locally made they'd just swap it with a new one right? He was asked to goto a service centre report it, after with the center will write to HQ get approval issue the part after which the owner can go get the new part. All of which they estimate would take a few weeks. Doesn't the Allion issue you quoted sound like peanuts now?

Clearly all cars break down... So if I'm gonna goto a garage eventually, I prefer to drive a older nicer car than the "something new" you propose..:P

• Like 6

No need to get heated here friends....... :sport-smiley-002: No offence to any female members here but buying a car is just like marrying a woman..... :medium-smiley-037: Till you get what you like you would not satisfy however much others try to put some sense in to your decision....... :speechless-smiley-004: We can say "why the hell that man has married such a woman but he may have his own reason....may be a stupid according to ones vision. Some may think economically....Some may think about external appearance.....Some may think about internal power.......Some may think about brand......Some may not think any of these and just love to own one...... :girl_werewolf:

And also both females and cars give troubles in similar way.....If you treat them well they would give less trouble but ultimately both give troubles :speechless-smiley-006: ......Even you treat well some might give troubles due to manufacture defects....However much you examine you can not be sure that it shall not give you troubles........ :violent-smiley-100:

And some may make your fortune :popkorn: while others may crush you to ground...... :sport-smiley-027:

Only difference here is cars are much easier to get rid of.....You can resell it.....You can present it to your friend or to your enemy :man_in_love: ......Even you can dump it....... but can you get rid of female like that........?????? :action-smiley-033:

PS--Just for the fun

Edited by rija
  • Like 2

No need to get heated here friends....... :sport-smiley-002: No offence to any female members here but buying a car is just like marrying a woman..... :medium-smiley-037: Till you get what you like you would not satisfy however much others try to put some sense in to your decision....... :speechless-smiley-004: We can say "why the hell that man has married such a woman but he may have his own reason....may be a stupid according to ones vision. Some may think economically....Some may think about external appearance.....Some may think about internal power.......Some may think about brand......Some may not think any of these and just love to own one...... :girl_werewolf:

And also both females and cars give troubles in similar way.....If you treat them well they would give less trouble but ultimately both give troubles :speechless-smiley-006: ......Even you treat well some might give troubles due to manufacture defects....However much you examine you can not be sure that it shall not give you troubles........ :violent-smiley-100:

And some may make your fortune :popkorn: while others may crush you to ground...... :sport-smiley-027:

Only difference here is cars are much easier to get rid of.....You can resell it.....You can present it to your friend or to your enemy :man_in_love: ......Even you can dump it....... but can you get rid of female like that........?????? :action-smiley-033:

PS--Just for the fun

Nice comparison. This made my day.

Your "if it was not for the tax scheme..." hypothetical is pretty obvious. But the issue is your fantasy is just that, a fantasy. But at the same time your basis for buying "something else new" is a mechanical issue that was detected and sorted out in 4 days? (less if the 1st mechanic did the job correctly).

What's the "something else new" you propose? Micro Panda? An alto? Have you spoken to someone who's bought a Panda? I genuinely feel bad for them. Micro takes people's money and indefinitely delay delivery. And when inquired the customers are treated like dogs begging for leftover food scraps. And once they get their precious 'new' cars they can be assured to face door handles that break off, head/fog lights that stop working, rattling body parts, hand-brakes that jam after 3-4 days of idle, premature clutch replacements, premature fan replacements, and my favorite, ants eating rubber parts.

And you think the warranty on your 'something new' is great? Numerous owners' door handle started breaking off.. You would think that since its "ape dei" which is locally made they'd just swap it with a new one right? He was asked to goto a service centre report it, after with the center will write to HQ get approval issue the part after which the owner can go get the new part. All of which they estimate would take a few weeks. Doesn't the Allion issue you quoted sound like peanuts now?

Clearly all cars break down... So if I'm gonna goto a garage eventually, I prefer to drive a older nicer car than the "something new" you propose.. :P

If I ask from my grand father, which is the best car to buy?, he will tell "the Morris minor is very good. you could repair it at anywhere. all the parts can be machinable in lath". etc.

The perspectives are different by different set of people (by age group, profession, affordability, knowledge, etc.)

• Like 1

If I ask from my grand father, which is the best car to buy?, he will tell "the Morris minor is very good. you could repair it at anywhere. all the parts can be machinable in lath". etc.

The perspectives are different by different set of people (by age group, profession, affordability, knowledge, etc.)

Yep, if 50 years ago you asked your grandfather about buying a car with an automatic transmission, or a Korean made car he would have insisted you didn't.

Come back to modern times, if your grandfather stays in touch with modern automotive technology he would recommend a 'decade old allion' too rather than a cutting-edge hybrid or a Chinese made car.

The point is there are some brands(countries) and new technologies that take time to mature and be reliable. So if you're on a limited budget, and you're a newbie to cars do you want to be experimenting with unknown technologies or unreliable brands?

• Like 4

You know what's funny....

If hybrids were taxed at the same rate as conventional cars, then all these fanboys will be bitching hybrids saying parts are expensive, batteries cause pollution etc.

But because they are cheap... we hear sentences like 'luxury of driving hybrids'....

ane huke...

• Like 9

You know what's funny....

If hybrids were taxed at the same rate as conventional cars, then all these fanboys will be bitching hybrids saying parts are expensive, batteries cause pollution etc.

But because they are cheap... we hear sentences like 'luxury of driving hybrids'....

ane huke...

100% agree with you on this. Driving a hybrid is neither luxurious nor pleasurable. But still it saves you some bucks in fuel which you can utilize later to replace the battery. :D

Edited by AbeysinghE
  • Like 1

Whatever the perspective, facts remain the same.

I think we are a little too harsh on the current crop of the hybrids. They have indeed come a long way since the first gen prius. And it's not like we see hunderds of new hybrids lining the roads with dead batteries.

But let's be frank, most who buy hybrids do so because of the fuel savings in hopes of offloading the thing to some poor sod before something major, like a dead battery, creep up on them. As crosswind said, if the taxed prices of the conventional cars were on par, hybrids would have found way too little to offer our general car buyer.

And with electrics gaining range by the day, and even hydrogen cars going into production, wonder what the future holds for the hybrid!

• Like 2

Just check the car sale statistics in Japan.....It would answer some questions posted here with THE FACTS not depend on heresay or imaginary things or fear psychosis....

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/japan/2014-q3-japan-best-selling-car-brand-models/

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/japan/2015-q1-japan-best-selling-car-manufacturers-brands-and-models/

Edited by rija

All are very much concern about the battery replacement of the Hybrids.

1. Lets see..., Most of the hybrids in SL were manufactured after 2012. Majority may not required to replace the battery before 2020 (other than any manufacturing defect). Couldn't be the battery prices come down in next five years ??

2. Heard that no need to replaces the entire battery and could be replaced defective cell module. However, ultimately the battery should be replaced but service life could be extended by replacing defective cells with low cost.

The CVT box of non hybrid Allion, Premio also will not last longer than 10 years if heavily used. Brand new CVT box will cost around 0.3 to 0.5 million rupees if not purchased re-con one for Rs. 80,000++

Any comments.......

Edited by gayanath