• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Front Windshield Tint

LancerL

Aaand we're back to square one! Okay well all isn't wasted, at least the explanation from Daniel Stern is now up on the forum for anyone else who's looking to 'tint their headlights' !

So I guess this is where I say: "Well, okay, sure. Whatever you want, its your car after all"...?!

:D

Well Daniel stern can be wrong right?

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” - Lord Buddha.

Therefore, one has to try this method out and finds himself that the brightness of the light will be reduced by this aforementioned protective sticker... :)

Right. In that case, lets say you have a super bright headlight bulb.. and afrer applying that blue layer, still the bulb is bright enough to see the road and you are satisfied with the brightness (still you can see the road well)... In that case I guess its no harm using the sticker as long as you can see the road well.... coz I wouldnt want to knock my car on something and damage it... so if the eyeseight is good and if the brightness still is enough, i believe it is OK to use the bulb... it depends on each individual though...

hey PreseaLover,

No matter how thin the protective film is, still it blocks a certain portion of the light emitting from the bulb.

My car had one blackish color headlight protection film (done by the previous owner) on it and it looked really nice, but the visibility at night was not that good when I first took her on a night ride in a non-lighted up area. It went from bad to worse with the time. Then I noticed that the heat produced by the bulbs are making this thin film more and more dense and the amount of light trapped is getting higher. Eventually my headlamps looked darker than before. So finally removed the film and cleaned the glue that it left behind (it took a while to clean it), and the night visibility was enough for my night time journeys.

Just wanted to share my experience with headlight tint :)

• Like 1

hey PreseaLover,

No matter how thin the protective film is, still it blocks a certain portion of the light emitting from the bulb.

My car had one blackish color headlight protection film (done by the previous owner) on it and it looked really nice, but the visibility at night was not that good when I first took her on a night ride in a non-lighted up area. It went from bad to worse with the time. Then I noticed that the heat produced by the bulbs are making this thin film more and more dense and the amount of light trapped is getting higher. Eventually my headlamps looked darker than before. So finally removed the film and cleaned the glue that it left behind (it took a while to clean it), and the night visibility was enough for my night time journeys.

Just wanted to share my experience with headlight tint :)

Ah there you go... this is what I also wanted to check... someone who actually experienced it rather than dwelling on Daniel someones statement :)

Thanks for sharing the experience Hashan... now I don't have the idea to tint my headlights anymore :)

• Like 1

I guess this last two pages is a classic example of how a typical car owner in SL thinks and someone else trying to beat some sense into that typical car owner. PreseaLover, how hard is it, really, to put two and two together and understand that putting anything but a clear film on your headlights is a bad idea? I guess common sense these days is a hard commodity to come by.

Edited by Sierra Charlie
  • Like 5

How much it cost to tint front two windows + the back window, not th 3M just the normal tint.

And it does reduce heat after tint right?.

A few years back it cost me around 3k. Not sure how much now.

It reduces the heat inside, specially when it's parked outside with no shade. I also use a windshield cover.

• Like 1

Well Daniel stern can be wrong right?

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” - Lord Buddha.

Therefore, one has to try this method out and finds himself that the brightness of the light will be reduced by this aforementioned protective sticker... :)

PreseaLover, you don't need Daniel Stern or Buddha or anyone to understand that using a "super bright" bulb to counter the lost brightness can end up melting the headlamp housing which is of plastic construction, do you?

It's true that you shouldn't believe things based on hearsay. But do you have to insist on someone's experience to believe that it's not a good idea to drive your car off a cliff? Common sense PreseaLover... Common sense. :)

Now I think we should leave this thread to talk about windscreen tint.

• Like 2

Aaand we're back to square one! Okay well all isn't wasted, at least the explanation from Daniel Stern is now up on the forum for anyone else who's looking to 'tint their headlights' !

So I guess this is where I say: "Well, okay, sure. Whatever you want, its your car after all"...?!

:D

It's strange how much effort you're willing to take to beat some sense into a stubborn goat.

And PreseaLover. When you buy your next dream car Presea (and sell it off at the first profitable offer you get) here's a trick... get some lubricant grease and apply it on your brake disks.. it will reduce friction and your car will travel further giving you more kilometers per liter. :)

• Like 1

It's strange how much effort you're willing to take to beat some sense into a stubborn goat.

And PreseaLover. When you buy your next dream car Presea (and sell it off at the first profitable offer you get) here's a trick... get some lubricant grease and apply it on your brake disks.. it will reduce friction and your car will travel further giving you more kilometers per liter. :)

hahaha forgive me watchman but I find this extremely funny (stubborn goat part) :D

I remember captain haddock too calling professor calculas a goat... so I'm not surprised you calling me a goat :D (but have to accept the fact that I'm a bit stubborn :P )

You do realize that an auto presea does lesser than the manual right? :D so doesn't that indicate that I'm not worried about the fuel consumption?

ok ok I accept the fact I should have thought more, I"ll blame it on my hangover! :D

Right. In that case, lets say you have a super bright headlight bulb.. and afrer applying that blue layer, still the bulb is bright enough to see the road and you are satisfied with the brightness (still you can see the road well)... In that case I guess its no harm using the sticker as long as you can see the road well.... coz I wouldnt want to knock my car on something and damage it... so if the eyeseight is good and if the brightness still is enough, i believe it is OK to use the bulb... it depends on each individual though...

"super bright"? Actually that's where you're mistaken.. Super bright bulbs are okay if you're using clear lenses. But if you want to use tints on the lenses you need to user super duper bright bulbs.... this is from experience... ok?

You should go to China and get a job at a Chinese bulb manufacturer to classify bulbs :P

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

How much it cost to tint front two windows + the back window, not th 3M just the normal tint.

And it does reduce heat after tint right?.

A few years back it cost me around 3k. Not sure how much now. It reduces the heat inside, specially when it's parked outside with no shade. I also use a windshield cover.

The 'normal' tint is usually just darkened vinyl using a pigment. Which deteriorates over time, giving a purple colour. They do not have any heat or UV protection. Not sure if Sathyajith used a different grade of it to explain his experience of reduced heat.

My advice is to not waste money on the cheap stuff, save up for the real thing. The 3M and other legit manufacturers use a multi layered material, each one doing a specific task such as scratch resistance, UV filtering and heat deflection. I had this on my Wrangler for more than two years and it didn't show any signs of discoloration, peeling/delamination, bubbling or scratches (from rolling the windows up and down). And it had excellent heat deflection. Totally worth the extra coin.