• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Front Windshield Tint

LancerL

I drove a Toyota Axio hybrid recently and there was a light tint on it's front windshield. I guess that was a factory done one.

Does anyone knows a good place to get a similar type of one in my front windshield?

• 3 months later...

It is actually illegal to tint the windscreen (but as usual, nothing's illegal until you get caught) There are completely transparent 'tints' by 3M and other manufacturers that still have the same heat and UV protection properties. This is what you should go for, which won't cause issues with the cops and won't hinder night visibility.

Im talking about these kinda tint, I have seen them on some vehicles

autowp.ru_bmw_x5_4.8is_au-spec_1.jpg

Adeh.... do they have LIGHT BLUISH Tints too in Sri Lanka?

After seeing this I got a thought... light bluish tint would look good on a white vehicle with blue headlight stickers too...jesus magnum you never fail to inspire me.... I have never seen light blue tinted windows in any vehicle in sri lanka..why is that?

I mean tints like the colour of this headlight cover along with this headlight cover...oh dear!

oT5SVVY.jpg

Im talking about these kinda tint, I have seen them on some vehicles

autowp.ru_bmw_x5_4.8is_au-spec_1.jpg

That not a tint. Well not in the traditional sense. That's OEM glass which has been treated to block heat / capture heat, lots of cars have it and its pretty common, its just that you can't see it reflected like this during everyday use. Or it could OEM glass treated so that its got a thin coating of a conductive material for rain sensing (for the rain sensing wipers). Not sure either way; but its not a tint in the traditional sense as the coating / treatment is to the layer of plastic that's in the middle of the safety glass and not on the outside surface of the glass material.

Regardless under normal conditions its not even noticeable, its just that the light reflection is just so in this picture that it highlights it / is reflecting off it.

I dare say you could get some kind of after market light bluish tint put on your windscreen to mimic this, but really why? It would only decrease visibility. And it makes no sense to do that.

Edited by Kavvz

Adeh.... do they have LIGHT BLUISH Tints too in Sri Lanka?

After seeing this I got a thought... light bluish tint would look good on a white vehicle with blue headlight stickers too...jesus magnum you never fail to inspire me.... I have never seen light blue tinted windows in any vehicle in sri lanka..why is that?

I mean tints like the colour of this headlight cover along with this headlight cover...oh dear!

oT5SVVY.jpg

Okay the above post was actually a response to this. I didn't want to bother responding but once I saw your post I felt obligated to set the record right: The above is NOT a tint. And really its not even visible during everyday driving so please don't get all 'inspired' and tint your windscreen and headlights.

Tinting your windscreen is only going to obscure your view more and tinting your headlights will decrease their light output. This may be the deciding factor between a safe drive home and an accident, heaven forbid, if you are ever caught in bad weather or driving at night.

For the greater good of other Sri Lankan road users, pedestrians and other drivers alike, please don't do anything to your car / vehicle that compromises its safe operation.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 2

Okay the above post was actually a response to this. I didn't want to bother responding but once I saw your post I felt obligated to set the record right: The above is NOT a tint. And really its not even visible during everyday driving so please don't get all 'inspired' and tint your windscreen and headlights.

Tinting your windscreen is only going to obscure your view more and tinting your headlights will decrease their light output. This may be the deciding factor between a safe drive home and an accident, heaven forbid, if you are ever caught in bad weather or driving at night.

For the greater good of other Sri Lankan road users, pedestrians and other drivers alike, please don't do anything to your car / vehicle that compromises its safe operation.

No no, I forgot to mention... its not the windscreen im going to tint.. its the windows that I'm going to tint in light blue.. and for the lights, also its not a tint that im suggesting, it's that blue head light protector sticker that most of the guys paste in order to protect it from being yellowish.... now i believe you would agree with me that it would not harm right? :)

No no, I forgot to mention... its not the windscreen im going to tint.. its the windows that I'm going to tint in light blue.. and for the lights, also its not a tint that im suggesting, it's that blue head light protector sticker that most of the guys paste in order to protect it from being yellowish.... now i believe you would agree with me that it would not harm right? :)

Well am glad you don't intend on tinting the windscreen.

As for the blue headlight stickers / headlight protectors: That just decreases the total light output. So that's to be avoided as well.

Headlights aren't hard to restore, there's a couple of threads here that address it and after you restore them just spray on a clear coat UV blocker if needed to protect them. There's no need to mess about pasting stickers and what not...

Edited by Kavvz

Well am glad you don't intend on tinting the windscreen.

As for the blue headlight stickers / headlight protectors: That just decreases the total light output. So that's to be avoided as well.

Headlights aren't hard to restore, there's a couple of threads here that address it and after you restore them just spray on a clear coat UV blocker if needed to protect them. There's no need to mess about pasting stickers and what not...

yes I know, i just did it myself in my previous presea... its just that i fell in love with this bluish lighted sylvia that I wanted to do this.. well we can do like this..use nightbreakers and see how much of a brightness gets reduced after wearing these stickers and if its a significant amount we can always remove the stickers right.. nothing hurts in trying.. will see once i get my car and update on the brightness level.. :)

yes I know, i just did it myself in my previous presea... its just that i fell in love with this bluish lighted sylvia that I wanted to do this.. well we can do like this..use nightbreakers and see how much of a brightness gets reduced after wearing these stickers and if its a significant amount we can always remove the stickers right.. nothing hurts in trying.. will see once i get my car and update on the brightness level.. :)

So you want to: Increase the light output of your headlights by purchasing high light output bulbs (where the typical increase in light is about 30%) only to then decrease that gain in light output by pasting a blue tinted sticker on the said headlights to achieve a certain cosmetic effect?

Okay. Let me just wrap my head around those facts for a sec: Well, okay, sure whatever you want, its your car after all.

On a side note regardless of what you end up doing this is interesting. I was recently trying to explain to my goda-suddhi of a cousin what the phrase "Aiyo Salli" means or when it can be used properly and for all you similar types on AL: This I believe is a classic example of a good point in a conversation to insert the phrase: "Aiyo Salli!"

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

So you want to: Increase the light output of your headlights by purchasing high light output bulbs (where the typical increase in light is about 30%) only to then decrease that gain in light output by pasting a blue tinted sticker on the said headlights to achieve a certain cosmetic effect?

I've never heard, that protective layer reduces brightness... it is a very thin layer you know? so are you sure about this? how come a very thin layer of blue cover reduces light? my friend uses the same thing in his blue presea, and he tells me not a single bit of brightness has reduced...

I've never heard, that protective layer reduces brightness... it is a very thin layer you know? so are you sure about this? how come a very thin layer of blue cover reduces light? my friend uses the same thing in his blue presea, and he tells me not a single bit of brightness has reduced...

lol! Now you're just messing with me....right? Please tell me you are>??!!

But incase you aren't (seriously I don't believe you aren't that crazy) but again in the interest of public safety an excerpt from Daniel Stern (who is referenced alot and considered a bit of an expert on automotive lighting by various automotive forums) is as below:

"White light is made up of every color of light mixed together. But the colors are not all present in equal amounts. The output spectrum of filament bulbs, including halogen headlamp bulbs, includes a great deal of red, orange, yellow and green light, but very little blue or violet light. Blue bulbs have colored glass (or a filter coating applied to clear glass) that allows only the blue light through the filter — this is why the bulbs appear blue. Because very little blue light is produced by a halogen bulb in the first place, it is only this very small amount — a tiny fraction of the total amount of light produced by a halogen bulb filament — that ever reaches the road.

Blue and violet are the shortest wavelength/highest frequency colors of visible light, and, as such, they scatter the most readily."

lol! Now you're just messing with me....right? Please tell me you are>??!!

But incase you aren't (seriously I don't believe you aren't that crazy) but again in the interest of public safety an excerpt from Daniel Stern (who is referenced alot and considered a bit of an expert on automotive lighting by various automotive forums) is as below:

"White light is made up of every color of light mixed together. But the colors are not all present in equal amounts. The output spectrum of filament bulbs, including halogen headlamp bulbs, includes a great deal of red, orange, yellow and green light, but very little blue or violet light. Blue bulbs have colored glass (or a filter coating applied to clear glass) that allows only the blue light through the filter — this is why the bulbs appear blue. Because very little blue light is produced by a halogen bulb in the first place, it is only this very small amount — a tiny fraction of the total amount of light produced by a halogen bulb filament — that ever reaches the road.

Blue and violet are the shortest wavelength/highest frequency colors of visible light, and, as such, they scatter the most readily."

But here we are talking about a protective sticker of blue... not a blue bulb or light... the light will be the normal yellowish bulb, its just the sticker we are talking about here... still you say this theory applies to this sticker as well?

But here we are talking about a protective sticker of blue... not a blue bulb or light... the light will be the normal yellowish bulb, its just the sticker we are talking about here... still you say this theory applies to this sticker as well?

lol. Yes!!!

Blue coloured glass on the bulb=blue tint on the headlamps= light output hitting the road is filtered / restricted to that colour, resulting in less illumination for you to drive with

(And before you ask the theory is the same to ANY colour sticker or ANY colour tint. It lets through only that colour of the output spectrum as listed above...which results in less light output.)

Edited by Kavvz

lol. Yes!!!

Blue coloured glass on the bulb=blue tint on the headlamps= light output hitting the road is filtered / restricted to that colour, resulting in less illumination for you to drive with

(And before you ask the theory is the same to ANY colour sticker or ANY colour tint. It lets through only that colour of the output spectrum as listed above...which results in less light output.)

Right. In that case, lets say you have a super bright headlight bulb.. and afrer applying that blue layer, still the bulb is bright enough to see the road and you are satisfied with the brightness (still you can see the road well)... In that case I guess its no harm using the sticker as long as you can see the road well.... coz I wouldnt want to knock my car on something and damage it... so if the eyeseight is good and if the brightness still is enough, i believe it is OK to use the bulb... it depends on each individual though...

Right. In that case, lets say you have a super bright headlight bulb.. and afrer applying that blue layer, still the bulb is bright enough to see the road and you are satisfied with the brightness (still you can see the road well)... In that case I guess its no harm using the sticker as long as you can see the road well.... coz I wouldnt want to knock my car on something and damage it... so if the eyeseight is good and if the brightness still is enough, i believe it is OK to use the bulb... it depends on each individual though...

Aaand we're back to square one! Okay well all isn't wasted, at least the explanation from Daniel Stern is now up on the forum for anyone else who's looking to 'tint their headlights' !

So I guess this is where I say: "Well, okay, sure. Whatever you want, its your car after all"...?!

:D