• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Abnormal Engine Noise In Aqua

nitro2000

Question

Hi,

This is my first post on Autolanka. I own a Toyota aqua 2014, which i bought a month ago. By that time it had done 14000km. From the day since i bought the car i noticed that there is sort of a rattling sound which comes from engine compartment when the car shifts from EV mode to the engine powered mode in moderate acceleration. This scenario doesn't take place in hard acceleration. Btw apart from that sound there is no any other noticeable issue like warning light appearing or lacking engine power and so and so.Any idea on this issue? Your thoughrs are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by nitro2000

11 answers to this question

Thanks tcfern1 for your idea! Today i came across in a hybrid forum in SL that a person is having the same problem as mine. He had done an engine tune up even at T*y*ta L*nka. But even after that he had been facing the same problem-just that noise. Then what TL people had told him was that sometimes the clutch between the engine the motor tends to make these sort of jerky noises due to the shifts in between the two power sources, and told him that it's all normal.

Thanks tcfern1 for your idea! Today i came across in a hybrid forum in SL that a person is having the same problem as mine. He had done an engine tune up even at T*y*ta L*nka. But even after that he had been facing the same problem-just that noise. Then what TL people had told him was that sometimes the clutch between the engine the motor tends to make these sort of jerky noises due to the shifts in between the two power sources, and told him that it's all normal.

There is a facebook group "Toyota Aqua/Prius C - Sri Lanka". Its well updating and there are enough enthusiastic for Aqua and Hybrid related latest technological stuff. Join with it and post your issue. definitely you will receive good solution.

Hi,

This is my first post on Autolanka. I own a Toyota aqua 2014, which i bought a month ago. By that time it had done 14000km. From the day since i bought the car i noticed that there is sort of a rattling sound which comes from engine compartment when the car shifts from EV mode to the engine powered mode in moderate acceleration. This scenario doesn't take place in hard acceleration. Btw apart from that sound there is no any other noticeable issue like warning light appearing or lacking engine power and so and so.Any idea on this issue? Your thoughrs are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Is this rattling last long or just for 1 ot 2 seconds.

I think you aware about the sudden jerk coming sometimes while engine starting (EV to non-EV) and hope you are telling not about this scenario. Did you experienced rattling with this jerk or without the jerk.?

Is this rattling last long or just for 1 ot 2 seconds.

I think you aware about the sudden jerk coming sometimes while engine starting (EV to non-EV) and hope you are telling not about this scenario. Did you experienced rattling with this jerk or without the jerk.?

No no that's something else right which occurs when ICE kicks in. What it had meant was that the rattle which comes from the clutch due to the jerky movement in itself, that's what i got. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong-not an expert in this arena.

• Thanks 1

No no that's something else right which occurs when ICE kicks in. What it had meant was that the rattle which comes from the clutch due to the jerky movement in itself, that's what i got. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong-not an expert in this arena.

There is only one clutch between engine and generator (which work as starter motor too). This clutch works only for start the engine. No any clutch involvement withing power train of Aqua or Prius. Power transmission, balancing and engine to motor ratio adjustment is doing by power split device without any clutch involvement.

So, Jerky while starting is normal and that's the only time we feel jerky in Aqua. The term "rattle" is normally used to describe the engine knocking sound. Do you feel knocking sound while the starting jerk??

Otherwise, your case is normal and we too observing the same in our cars.

• Thanks 1

There is only one clutch between engine and generator (which work as starter motor too). This clutch works only for start the engine. No any clutch involvement withing power train of Aqua or Prius. Power transmission, balancing and engine to motor ratio adjustment is doing by power split device without any clutch involvement.

So, Jerky while starting is normal and that's the only time we feel jerky in Aqua. The term "rattle" is normally used to describe the engine knocking sound. Do you feel knocking sound while the starting jerk??

Otherwise, your case is normal and we too observing the same in our cars.

Actually the "rattle" which I'm referring here is kind of a noise which comes after the engine starts off, not along with that starting process. And it comes only in light acceleration,neither when the engine starts off while it is in the idling position nor in hard acceleration.

• Thanks 1

Actually the "rattle" which I'm referring here is kind of a noise which comes after the engine starts off, not along with that starting process. And it comes only in light acceleration,neither when the engine starts off while it is in the idling position nor in hard acceleration.

Then its clear that its knocking. Don't worry. I have experienced this not my Aqua but vitz. It will go away withing some days.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Were you able to diagnose the real cause for this? Because I'm also experiencing the same. Specially in the cold start and when driving also.

It's same as following video. Doing bit of googling, it seems like it's widely available not only with prius/aqua, but also with other Toyota hybrid models.

Edited by raphal