• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Agents Or Other Car Sales?

sasika

Question

Hi guys,

Can you advise me on the better option out of the two below.

There is a 2014 Mercedes C200 lying on a car sale which has done about 2000km and there is the agents, D*mo, who has the C180 car for slightly lower price, and of course a 2015 made one.

On spec and feature list, the first one is miles ahead but the D*mo one carries the agents warranty for quite some time to come. So I am bit confused on which car to chose. Is it safe to go for the agents in this case? Drove both cars and both feel more or less the same, with the C200 being marginally more fun to drive.

Thanks in advance.

Wow? No kidding? That's a pretty pro-argument for run flat's and I guess that's why most cars now come RFT's I guess...But then again I've never had any major blow outs at high speeds like that at all...And I've had a daily driver for a good 8 years or so now, so I guess it comes down to driving habits / need for safety and individual preference.

To answer your question: You won't get a spare as the car is spec'd for RFT's but as the complimentary air compressor fits inside the tool compartment / first aid compartment that will always be there. And I'm not sure the agents will offer you a discount even if you switch to regular tyres but as the primary motivation behind buying this car (I'm guessing) is comfort its an option worth exploring, especially if this car isn't really going to be on the highway that much. If that's the case, it won't hurt to ask Gummybr or any other staff member you are negotiating with if they can pull some strings and get you a different tyre option for you before you pick up your car.

Thank you Kavvz I'll talk to him :)

Well it was a brake calliper probably of a large vehicle which got cut into the tyre.. Bad timing.. I felt really alive after realising the worst scenario :) Tyre was totally unrepairable yet did not fail.

EDIT: Plus drove it to a tyre shop without damaging suspension or the wheel

Edited by sasika

Thank you Kavvz I'll talk to him :)

Well it was a brake calliper probably of a large vehicle which got cut into the tyre.. Bad timing.. I felt really alive after realising the worst scenario :) Tyre was totally unrepairable yet did not fail.

EDIT: Plus drove it to a tyre shop without damaging suspension or the wheel

I wasn't there and I'm not familiar with the X1 so I can't say for sure but just as a heads up: On most cars (unless they are armoured or for some odd reason they defy convention and are designed with centre tyre supports like the armoured cars) the run flat feature is designed into the sidewalls of the tyre not the centre tread part of the tyre or the rim. So if you have a major blow out where the sidewall is damaged, the weight of the car will end up resting on the edge of the rims which as we all know are susceptible to damage / warping if you drive on them.

So if the sidewalls blow out regardless of whether they are RTF's or not, the safest option is to pull over and get the car towed, otherwise you may end up damaging the rims and / or your suspension...

[Now that I think about it a bit: Overall, even after a puncture where there is no sidewall damage and the TPS indicates lowered pressure, you would have to get the tyres inspected for damage and repaired. The only advantage being that, unlike regular tyres, you don't have to pull over and put on the spare before driving to the closest tyre centre to get them attended to. But for regular tyres, as running an air compressor and pumping the tyre back up before quickly driving to a service centre works for all but the most severe punctures; the benefit of RFT's could be considered marginal for the most common types of punctures (as long as you have an air compressor in the boot).The only situation where the RFT's are distinctly superior would be in scenarios like you described; where a tyre loses air rapidly and the stiffer sidewall gives the driver some degree of enhanced control while slowing down and pulling over, if the sidewall is still relatively intact that is...The drawback though is the higher purchase price of RFT's, and more importantly, the loss of ride comfort on uneven roads.]

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

I wasn't there and I'm not familiar with the X1 so I can't say for sure but just as a heads up: On most cars (unless they are armoured or for some odd reason they defy convention and are designed with centre tyre supports like the armoured cars) the run flat feature is designed into the sidewalls of the tyre not the centre tread part of the tyre or the rim. So if you have a major blow out where the sidewall is damaged, the weight of the car will end up resting on the edge of the rims which as we all know are susceptible to damage / warping if you drive on them.

So if the sidewalls blow out regardless of whether they are RTF's or not, the safest option is to pull over and get the car towed, otherwise you may end up damaging the rims and / or your suspension...

[Now that I think about it a bit: Overall, even after a puncture where there is no sidewall damage and the TPS indicates lowered pressure, you would have to get the tyres inspected for damage and repaired. The only advantage being that, unlike regular tyres, you don't have to pull over and put on the spare before driving to the closest tyre centre to get them attended to. But for regular tyres, as running an air compressor and pumping the tyre back up before quickly driving to a service centre works for all but the most severe punctures; the benefit of RFT's could be considered marginal for the most common types of punctures (as long as you have an air compressor in the boot).The only situation where the RFT's are distinctly superior would be in scenarios like you described; where a tyre loses air rapidly and the stiffer sidewall gives the driver some degree of enhanced control while slowing down and pulling over, if the sidewall is still relatively intact that is...The drawback though is the higher purchase price of RFT's, and more importantly, the loss of ride comfort on uneven roads.]

You said everything :)

Sasika, since more gizmos equal high probability of things going wrong you can use that as an excuse for not buying the 200 as well.

Yah and since it's under the luxury tax and if our govt thinks luxury tax should be 200k next year... Better safe than sorry ;)

As in they swapped the RF tyres out for you?

No I didn't request them, but the ride is so smooth and quiet. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I say that most of the potholes are not felt in this. Fuel economy though is not as advertised, manages 8-10. They said that figure should improve upon the tuning up of engine. But who care if it does 5 ;) 1.6 engine is surprisingly punchy as well.

No I didn't request them, but the ride is so smooth and quiet. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I say that most of the potholes are not felt in this. Fuel economy though is not as advertised, manages 8-10. They said that figure should improve upon the tuning up of engine. But who care if it does 5 ;) 1.6 engine is surprisingly punchy as well.

Well, I guess that's the air suspension kicking in and doing its thing. And it will get better with regular sidewalls, which you'll find out if you go that route when it comes to replacement tires...But congrats on the purchase either way :grinning-smiley-003:

• Like 1

Well, I guess that's the air suspension kicking in and doing its thing. And it will get better with regular sidewalls, which you'll find out if you go that route when it comes to replacement tires...But congrats on the purchase either way :grinning-smiley-003:

I'll remember your recommendation :) Thank you