• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Crv 2013/ Outlander (Phev) 2014 / X Trail (Hybrid) 2015

DVT

Question

Dear all, Trying to figure out what to buy between those three. Budget is about 7 to 8 mn. Not very particular about fuel consumption as mostly city running. I really like CRV 2011 Onward version but the second hand price of 2013 ( abt 50 k millage) is almost equal to brand new X trail hybrid . CRV Brand new price is abt 9 mn. As you know the reason is lower tax on hybird. Therefore CRV is overpriced.may come down as we move on... can buy unreg. Xtrail for similar price. Therefore CRV is a question mark ??? Outlander PHEV second hand market price has come down significantly to about 7 mn (2014 ) from its original price of 9mn. Love to experience new technology . However the shape of vehicle is not really looking good for me. Sluggish look. So that not thrilled to go for. The only option left is Nisaan X trail Hybrid. I like the shape of the SUV other than the face . It looks odd. But should be able to go for a simple and decent body kit to give it a better look. What do you think and what would be your choice if I were you please. thanks

Edited by DVT

12 answers to this question

I've recently looked into all three vehicles too but from what I've found in the internet Mazda CX5 is the best in the category but don't no how its gonna be here in SL considering the spares availability and Mazda is not a very popular in SL you can also check out these vehicles too

Subaru XV

New Toyota Rav 4

I think there is a new Hyundai Tuscon too

I'm just giving you more options ?

But if I were to select one from your list I go for the X trail cause Nissan is a popular brand in SL and you will be able to find someone good to get any repair done

Don't know much about the Outlander but have seen a lot of newly registered Outlanders for sale in AL might be because of charging problems and there is a new 2015 Outlander too

I also agree with you the CRV costs too much but its a really good vehicle

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Thanks for your input.

Agree with you that Mazda is a good vehicle but CX5 did not take off the ground for some reason.

As you may agree Suabu XV is too small.. so that did not want to check further. New RAV 4 is a good looking vehicle and need to a do abit of search . Tks Tucson is not my favorite for some reason. :sad-smiley-066:

The reason for Out-lander to come down is over supply from panic small scale importers that tax relief will come on future importing PHEV vehicles under electric category , as per my knowledge..

Thanks

Test drove a X-Trail gasoline sometime back and recently a Hybrid Mode Premier.

The interior, etc is nicely done up and the seats were comfy with pretty good sound proofing etc...

Ok..the gasoline...with a 2.0L engine it sucked. It was gutless on hills (Nagasaki is very hilly). To make it worst the suspension was quite dissapointing. Quite a lot of body roll and a wierd swap in the corners and the test unit had a fancy electronically controlled suspension. Not impressed at all.

Now the mode premier...the Hybrid definitely adds to the power output of the car and it was slightly felt as it did a but better on the hills (to be honest I didn't expect it to make any difference. Thought the extra power would be offset by the extra weight of the batteries). The ride was quite firm but then that is because I drove the Mode Premier which apparently has stiffer suspension and wider wheels. So the mode premier Hybrid was pretty decent. Unfortunately, I kind f feel the standard Hybrid may have the same suspension dynamics as the gasoline version as the only difference in that regard seems to be a slight change in ride height compared to the gasoline variant.

The new RAV4...drove one in Africa ....uhh....nothing to write home about. The ride felt quite firm compared to the A30 version (I had a JDM ACA31 at the time) and handling wise it was more or less the same. The steering felt it had a bit more feeling and directness to it than the ACA31 and well..had a weird directness to it (not sure if you have driven any of the "fun to drive AGAIN" Toyotas but they all have that....it is there but not there kinda thing). Other than that it felt roomier than the ACA31 (barely).Had Toyotas new love it or hate it industrial like dash...hated the plastic accents. What I like about the ACA31 is that it feels light weight and moves (although the CVT does feel twitchy) compared to the previous model X-Trails and CR-Vs. The new one kind of still has that feeling. The new is not a vast improvement over the old, so it is kind of like the same thing but different. Not sure but I heard the new RAV4 is quite expensive in SL and is simply not worth the price.

The Mazda....SkyActive diesel engines sound like freaking tractors....the gasoline variant...well I have to admit it is quite a nice car. Inside it feels and (almost) rides like an overgrown Atenza. Doesn't feel that much SUVish like the XTrail and RAV4. It has a nice interior and has my favorite of seats. Feels very huggy. The engine is decently sized for the car. It moves although it doesn't have that at your face and nimbly feeling of the RAV4.Yes...no zoom zoomy like a hooligan. You can feel its weight but the suspension feels pretty firm that it didn't roll around too much (remember...hilly city here). Wanted to drive a CX3 as well but didn't get the time :(

Haven't driven the latest CR-V but in the past CR-Vs have been the most refined and luxurious of the bunch (although I hated the gearbox with its fancy hill thingy). I doubt the latest one is any different in that regards.

Oh...and the X-Trail still has a selectable 4WD system which the others don't have....so that is another plus point...if you are in to that sort of thing. Also the gasoline variant of the X Trail had PLENTY of storage boxes in the back and under the floor...most of them have disappeared in the Hybrid.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 3

@ iRage

Thanks so much for your very detailed experience sharing notes which is very helpful.

Just to admit the fact that even I hate the fancy uplifted gear position in CRV and thankfully it is now same as other any other SUVs in that range with nice storage capacity attached to it.

At the moment what is in my list is X-trail Hybrid version and as you said need to go for a test ride to feel the difference. I have used a few nessans (sedan) before and did not find very interesting thing but surely serves the basic purpose. I do not think we can expect any difference in here as well.

Thanks again for your valuable thoughts

Fortuner, Sorento and Montero Sport falls in the same price bracket.

Are Fortuner and Montero Sport more off road oriented than LC Prado and Pajero?

I get a feeling Fortuner and Montero Sport would be more durable than Prado and Pajero

The Fortuner and Montero Sport aren't that comfort oriented though

Edited by Magnum

Fortuner, Sorento and Montero Sport falls in the same price bracket.

Are Fortuner and Montero Sport more off road oriented than LC Prado and Pajero?

I get a feeling Fortuner and Montero Sport would be more durable than Prado and Pajero

The Fortuner and Montero Sport aren't that comfort oriented though

Well the Fortuner and Montero Sport were specifically designed as entry level SUVs for the developing markets and designed with harsher roads, etc in mind (thus harder suspension, etc..) but I don't think the two are any more or any less off-road capable than a LC Prado or a Montero/Pajero.

Granted it has to be taken in to account that the the Prado comes with a fancy (or fancier) electronically controlled 4WD system than what the Fortuner has, if that actually plays apart in the vehicles longevity/durability; I have no idea.

I am not sure if the Pajero's 4WD system is fancier/advanced than the Montero Sports (in the past they used the variants of the same Super Select system right across the board as far as I know) but the Pajero has a unibody construction whilst the Montero Sport still has the old fashioned frame on ladder construct. As to which design is better and more capable seems to be a matter of opinion and preference rather than actual handicaps in off-road capability....but I seriously doubt the normal day-to-day people who buy 99% of these things would ever notice even if there was a difference.

Well the Fortuner and Montero Sport were specifically designed as entry level SUVs for the developing markets and designed with harsher roads, etc in mind (thus harder suspension, etc..) but I don't think the two are any more or any less off-road capable than a LC Prado or a Montero/Pajero.

Granted it has to be taken in to account that the the Prado comes with a fancy (or fancier) electronically controlled 4WD system than what the Fortuner has, if that actually plays apart in the vehicles longevity/durability; I have no idea.

I am not sure if the Pajero's 4WD system is fancier/advanced than the Montero Sports (in the past they used the variants of the same Super Select system right across the board as far as I know) but the Pajero has a unibody construction whilst the Montero Sport still has the old fashioned frame on ladder construct. As to which design is better and more capable seems to be a matter of opinion and preference rather than actual handicaps in off-road capability....but I seriously doubt the normal day-to-day people who buy 99% of these things would ever notice even if there was a difference.

Montero Sport uses the same Super Select system of the Pajero only difference it it has higher ground clearance cuz of the body on frame chassis.

Test drove a X-Trail gasoline sometime back and recently a Hybrid Mode Premier.

The interior, etc is nicely done up and the seats were comfy with pretty good sound proofing etc...

Ok..the gasoline...with a 2.0L engine it sucked. It was gutless on hills (Nagasaki is very hilly). To make it worst the suspension was quite dissapointing. Quite a lot of body roll and a wierd swap in the corners and the test unit had a fancy electronically controlled suspension. Not impressed at all.

Now the mode premier...the Hybrid definitely adds to the power output of the car and it was slightly felt as it did a but better on the hills (to be honest I didn't expect it to make any difference. Thought the extra power would be offset by the extra weight of the batteries). The ride was quite firm but then that is because I drove the Mode Premier which apparently has stiffer suspension and wider wheels. So the mode premier Hybrid was pretty decent. Unfortunately, I kind f feel the standard Hybrid may have the same suspension dynamics as the gasoline version as the only difference in that regard seems to be a slight change in ride height compared to the gasoline variant.

The new RAV4...drove one in Africa ....uhh....nothing to write home about. The ride felt quite firm compared to the A30 version (I had a JDM ACA31 at the time) and handling wise it was more or less the same. The steering felt it had a bit more feeling and directness to it than the ACA31 and well..had a weird directness to it (not sure if you have driven any of the "fun to drive AGAIN" Toyotas but they all have that....it is there but not there kinda thing). Other than that it felt roomier than the ACA31 (barely).Had Toyotas new love it or hate it industrial like dash...hated the plastic accents. What I like about the ACA31 is that it feels light weight and moves (although the CVT does feel twitchy) compared to the previous model X-Trails and CR-Vs. The new one kind of still has that feeling. The new is not a vast improvement over the old, so it is kind of like the same thing but different. Not sure but I heard the new RAV4 is quite expensive in SL and is simply not worth the price.

The Mazda....SkyActive diesel engines sound like freaking tractors....the gasoline variant...well I have to admit it is quite a nice car. Inside it feels and (almost) rides like an overgrown Atenza. Doesn't feel that much SUVish like the XTrail and RAV4. It has a nice interior and has my favorite of seats. Feels very huggy. The engine is decently sized for the car. It moves although it doesn't have that at your face and nimbly feeling of the RAV4.Yes...no zoom zoomy like a hooligan. You can feel its weight but the suspension feels pretty firm that it didn't roll around too much (remember...hilly city here). Wanted to drive a CX3 as well but didn't get the time :(

Haven't driven the latest CR-V but in the past CR-Vs have been the most refined and luxurious of the bunch (although I hated the gearbox with its fancy hill thingy). I doubt the latest one is any different in that regards.

Oh...and the X-Trail still has a selectable 4WD system which the others don't have....so that is another plus point...if you are in to that sort of thing. Also the gasoline variant of the X Trail had PLENTY of storage boxes in the back and under the floor...most of them have disappeared in the Hybrid.

Actually i agree that the mode premier is a better variant than the normal X trail Hybrid. Test drove both and went for the Mode Premier. i thought the difference was because of the wider wheels and didnt know the suspension setup was also different. but unfortunately now making the dollar and the yen going up as a reason importers might quote absurd prices for this.

Drove the outlander also. the interior looked pretty dull compared to the X trail. the engine sound is a bit quite than the x trail. (the x trail engine does sound a little bit loud) but i have a good feeling that the 2013-2014 outlander could be facelifted to the latest one. its just a matter of time until someone tires it out.

Actually i agree that the mode premier is a better variant than the normal X trail Hybrid. Test drove both and went for the Mode Premier. i thought the difference was because of the wider wheels and didnt know the suspension setup was also different. but unfortunately now making the dollar and the yen going up as a reason importers might quote absurd prices for this.

Drove the outlander also. the interior looked pretty dull compared to the X trail. the engine sound is a bit quite than the x trail. (the x trail engine does sound a little bit loud) but i have a good feeling that the 2013-2014 outlander could be facelifted to the latest one. its just a matter of time until someone tires it out.

Whats this mode premier you guys are referring to? I find one a normal version and a Emergency Brake Package version

@Z.u.L

Did you find a noticeable performance difference in terms of pulling power ( bhp) between X trail Hybrid and Outlander during your test drive as both shares the same size engine (2L) , but may be different technology.