• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Traffic In Rajagiriya

coolcar

I always dream to see under ground metro trains in Sri Lanka.

Yes, implementing cost is very high.

I don't know why government does not think to start such projects with foreign partnerships giving more benefit to them to enjoy for years.

This kind of projects are more valuable than so called Volkswagon project.

Just imagine examples routes like Fort - Moratuwa , Fort -Kadawatha. Fort-Rajagiriya which will reduce the traveling time as well as reducing the number of vehicles come to Colombo for just a single passenger.

Also Colombo need some buses run in circular way in separate sub areas(also some shuttle buses) , which will minimize tuk-tuks for short distances. We have missed the service given by tram cars and trolley buses good old days.

It is regret that still we can't handle the railway system properly. Once I heard that number of railway unions are higher than the number of trains run daily in Sri Lanka.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

I don't know why government does not think to start such projects with foreign partnerships giving more benefit to them to enjoy for years.

Just imagine examples routes like Fort - Moratuwa , Fort -Kadawatha. Fort-Rajagiriya which will reduce the traveling time as well as reducing the number of vehicles come to Colombo for just a single passenger.

Also Colombo need some buses run in circular way in separate sub areas(also some shuttle buses) , which will minimize tuk-tuks for short distances. We have missed the service given by tram cars and trolley buses good old days.

It is regret that still we can't handle the railway system properly. Once I heard that number of railway unions are higher than the number of trains run daily in Sri Lanka.

This is what I always think. I still believe public transport should be improved before the highways. well maintained, comfortable, on time train system with at least 2 rail roads. a tram car system (mainly in colombo ) etc. would be much useful than so called highway system.

It doesn't necessarily have to be underground metro. It can easily be an overground/elevated one. Most of the metro systems in other cites are somewhat subsided by the local government. So if one to be implemented here coming up with the correct price structure will be crucial. I believe this was the main reason why the park and ride venture which opened up few years ago went bust. What's the current price of a one way rail ticket say from Mt. Lavinia to Colpetty?

That's an interesting point about the bus routes. I wonder if there's ever been a review of all the existing bus routes.

Regarding the VW factory, if you take the bigger picture into account i believe a foreign direct investment like the VW factory is much more important at this point in time to our economy than a metro system. We've been lacking big investments like these for decades now. Hopefully this'll be the opening of the flood gates and more will follow.

a tram car system (mainly in colombo ) etc. would be much useful than so called highway system.

That's an unfair comparison. You need a good highway network to connect the remote parts of the country and to easily move goods and services. My only criticism regarding the highways is on the wast amount of public money that was scammed during the construction phase.

the best place to start would be to make the already available buses on the available routes to not 'kota kota go'. ex - I have timed the travel time in a bus on several routes and it could be halved in some cases if the buses do not stay in halts for up to 10 or even 15 minutes at times. shuttle buses is a great idea to build on top of this.

after that when we get the ball rolling we can go for more cheaper solutions first ... bicycle stands like in any mojor city & we can lankanize them by having tuk tuk stands :mosking:

so...you think alto 's are cheap and should not be on the road when your driving your EXPENSIVE car. seriously.. what kind of attitude you have buddy..? you think the increased no of vehicles only cause traffic in colombo & you want the prices of the vehicles to go up simply for you to drive leisurely .it is the lack good roads & and drivers with your kind of ATTITUDE cause traffic..

seriously you should sell your car go back to school..a good school.

everybody deserves to have a good and comfortable transport method, whether it's some cheap auto else expensive one or else public transport. i think best possible way is to increase the quality of our public transportation. at least for our urban areas, specially colombo. people do dream of having a car for themselves, a house, good job list goes on. people who govern this country should have a vision to guide our nation properly, and we in other hand should maintain our attitude :)

It doesn't necessarily have to be underground metro. It can easily be an overground/elevated one. Most of the metro systems in other cites are somewhat subsided by the local government. So if one to be implemented here coming up with the correct price structure will be crucial. I believe this was the main reason why the park and ride venture which opened up few years ago went bust. What's the current price of a one way rail ticket say from Mt. Lavinia to Colpetty?

That's an interesting point about the bus routes. I wonder if there's ever been a review of all the existing bus routes.

Regarding the VW factory, if you take the bigger picture into account i believe a foreign direct investment like the VW factory is much more important at this point in time to our economy than a metro system. We've been lacking big investments like these for decades now. Hopefully this'll be the opening of the flood gates and more will follow.

That's an unfair comparison. You need a good highway network to connect the remote parts of the country and to easily move goods and services. My only criticism regarding the highways is on the wast amount of public money that was scammed during the construction phase.

I have to agree with this part. but before going to expensive highway we need to achieve certain economic level I suppose. If we have a high production capacity where we need to transport our products to harbors/ air ports etc. we need a good transportation system. But if we are going to have an expensive highway system just to travel comfortably, may be just to show off or as a political gimmick where you can sell it in the next election while scamming during construction, I don't think that's what we need right now.

Of course we need it when the real requirement comes.

Traffic won't be so much of a problem and stressful if we can get rid of the lane cutters, sneakers and other general morons who are full of themselves. Unfortunately parties responsible for this including the police are very lax on rogue drivers inside city limits.

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 3

Traffic won't be so much of a problem and stressful if we can get rid of the lane cutters, sneakers and other general morons who are full of themselves. Unfortunately none of the parties responsible for this including the police are very lax on rogue drivers inside city limits.

This is the point. This lane cutting thing worsens traffic and tuk tuks, bikes. Sometimes I have seen cops positvely acknowledging this.

• Like 1