• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Traffic In Rajagiriya

coolcar

Today I came from Buthgamuwa road around 9.20 AM found huge traffic in vicinity of Rajagirya Junction. Usually by that time most roads are free from traffic.

Anyone have any idea about the unusual amount traffic in the Rajagirya Junction.

If you are on twitter, check @road_lk

This has been the case for many days now. Ambagaha junction to IDH road is closed due to constuctions.

Kolonnawa to Dematagoda road is under construction. There are some more constuctions in Baththaramulla as well.

Suspect that this occurs due to all of these factors adding up.

Guess that was the case. I saw road construction in front of Sethsiripaya last night around midnight. Didn't look like it was going to end in 7 hours. Add to that, the traffic from IDH is diverted to Koswatte creating unimaginable chaos. Had to spend 3 hours Monday last week to get from Koswatte to Colombo 05.

I came to work via Udahamulla, Jubilee Post today. Talk about a detour. :(

Road_lk seems to be the most reliable and the most updated one out of all. They have a carpooling mechanism if anyone is interested to use it.

This was the case. I travel from Thalawathugoda to Dematagoda everyday and thinking about this Buthgamuwa road. Good to know this. Do you guys have an idea of best time to cross Parliament road in the morning with minimal traffic? (If there's any :P)

This was the case. I travel from Thalawathugoda to Dematagoda everyday and thinking about this Buthgamuwa road. Good to know this. Do you guys have an idea of best time to cross Parliament road in the morning with minimal traffic? (If there's any :P)

Around 5 AM? :mosking:

• Like 1

Before 6.30 am

Or after 9.30am. Sometimes traffic eases by 9.15. Sometimes it remains till around 9.45. It varies from day to day.

+1 and they also have the web interface https://road.lk/traffic/

• Like 1

Guess that was the case. I saw road construction in front of Sethsiripaya last night around midnight. Didn't look like it was going to end in 7 hours. Add to that, the traffic from IDH is diverted to Koswatte creating unimaginable chaos. Had to spend 3 hours Monday last week to get from Koswatte to Colombo 05.

I came to work via Udahamulla, Jubilee Post today. Talk about a detour. :(

Thank God! A couple of months back I rented my house near Sethsiripaya and moved out from Battaramulla. Even now if there is a need I usually pass his area either after 2100 hrs or before 0700 hrs. I just don't understand logic behind our road engineers who takes years to widen an existing road. By the time they finish it, the road again falls due for expansion.

• Like 1

I think the whole western province is subjected to heavy traffic these days... I have 21km's to office from home... if i go in the car it takes 1 hour and 30 minutes... In the bus it takes 2 hours and 30 minutes to get back to home from office....sigh..

No wonder when we have policy makers who cannot understand the difference between road development and transport development.

• Like 1

No wonder when we have policy makers who cannot understand the difference between road development and transport development.

It takes only 30 mins or close to reach Dematagoda (Baseline Road station) from Udahamulla Nugegoda from Train at around 8.15AM. i don't think you can beat that by road at given time by a car. still i guess policy makers or whatever people in power doesn't seem understand how to build a proper Metro Rapid Transport system. i know that it's costly but one way or another we should move that way. have experienced NYC subway system, boy! what an efficient mode of transport that is.

It takes only 30 mins or close to reach Dematagoda (Baseline Road station) from Udahamulla Nugegoda from Train at around 8.15AM. i don't think you can beat that by road at given time by a car. still i guess policy makers or whatever people in power doesn't seem understand how to build a proper Metro Rapid Transport system. i know that it's costly but one way or another we should move that way. have experienced NYC subway system, boy! what an efficient mode of transport that is.

I agree.If you straighten the rail track(Currently like a snake) & remove some of the unwanted station's ride would be much faster.

I travel from Thalawathugoda Road to rajagiriya on a daily basis and i also noticed unusual traffic jams in places which usually have very minimal traffic, eg- beddagana junction, ethul Kotte.

I think some vehicles are now bypassing parliament road and coming through Thalawathugoda Road.

If/When the OCH is connected to the Katunayake expressway, vehicles from Thalawathugoda area can take the Athurugiriya entrance and exit from Dematagoda, can't they?

Do you mean exit from Peliyagoda to enter Colombo through Kelani New Bridge? Of course you can do it but does it make sense? You've got to understand that more highways, bypass bridges and alternative routes is not the solution to traffic in Colombo!

Yes & temporarily yes.

Obviously, public transport has to be fixed to ease the congestion. It is the base for developing a city.

I don't think this problem will ever be fixed... Thousands of new vehicles are flooding into the country... Many alto's, cheap vehicles are invading and with all those on the road, the traffic is going to be heavier... There are too many bloody vehicles on the road... If the prices of vehicles go up people will not buy newer vehicles and there will be minimal traffic on the road...

In Rajagirya near Buthgamuwa road Junction we used to have police officer who move the Traffic very efficiently.This guy is different from other cops as he moves here and there to control the traffic.Every day this man least save 10 minutes from my daily road time.

Sadly from few month onward he was replaced with another... :speechless-smiley-003:

I don't think this problem will ever be fixed... Thousands of new vehicles are flooding into the country... Many alto's, cheap vehicles are invading and with all those on the road, the traffic is going to be heavier... There are too many bloody vehicles on the road... If the prices of vehicles go up people will not buy newer vehicles and there will be minimal traffic on the road...

so...you think alto 's are cheap and should not be on the road when your driving your EXPENSIVE car. seriously.. what kind of attitude you have buddy..? you think the increased no of vehicles only cause traffic in colombo & you want the prices of the vehicles to go up simply for you to drive leisurely .it is the lack good roads & and drivers with your kind of ATTITUDE cause traffic..

seriously you should sell your car go back to school..a good school..

• Like 1

so...you think alto 's are cheap and should not be on the road when your driving your EXPENSIVE car. seriously.. what kind of attitude you have buddy..? you think the increased no of vehicles only cause traffic in colombo & you want the prices of the vehicles to go up simply for you to drive leisurely .it is the lack good roads & and drivers with your kind of ATTITUDE cause traffic..

lol Sorry PreseaLover as much as I like your mad loony posts: This dude's right. Alto's have just as much right to clog up the roads as you do.

(I don't see why you should sell your car and go back to school though, as all the popular buggers in school had cars...or rather had regular access to drive them, so if you're going back to school definitely keep the car; but other than that TheClutch's right. :D)

Edited by Kavvz

I very will knew someone judgmental like you would misinterprit my comment and reciprocate.... I said alto's are cheap COMPARING to the prices of other NEW vehicles.... I don't remember saying that I told "I WANT THE PRICES OF VEHICLES TO GO UP".... Please highlight the point where i said so...get the point dude, I said "IF THE PRICES GO UP"... Eg: IF X happens Y will happen... (NOT - I want X to happen so Y will happen)... So you being judgemental without getting the point here and telling me to go to school? :D When did I become your f**king father ? :D

Edited by PreseaLover

I think the basic idea everyone wants to put across is there should be a solution to reducing the number of cars on the road (not necessarily ownership...) to do that there needs to be a better public/mass transport system that is sustainable and can evolve accordingly put in place with all the roads that are being built (you build more roads, widen them they are just going to get clogged again with more cars). Thus, people are not COMPELLED to use their cars ALL the time, therefore you can own a car but not necessarily HAVE to drive it EVERYDAY. (like in countries like SG, HK, JPN, list goes on...).

As for ownership, well yeah everyone has a right to own a car within their financial means but still some sort of limiting and disposal mechanism might also be needed like in countries like SG.

Whether it is an Alto or a Presea or a Merc they still take-up valuable space (which as an island is quite limited for us). In fact, I personally prefer cars like Altos in the city that take up lesser parking space, road space, etc...than other cars (did someone say Kei cars ?).

Edited by iRage
  • Like 3

I think the basic idea everyone wants to put across is there should be a solution to reducing the number of cars on the road (not necessarily ownership...) to do that there needs to be a better public/mass transport system that is sustainable and can evolve accordingly put in place with all the roads that are being built (you build more roads, widen them they are just going to get clogged again with more cars). Thus, people are not COMPELLED to use their cars ALL the time, therefore you can own a car but not necessarily HAVE to drive it EVERYDAY. (like in countries like SG, HK, JPN, list goes on...).

As for ownership, well yeah everyone has a right to own a car within their financial means but still some sort of limiting and disposal mechanism might also be needed like in countries like SG.

Whether it is an Alto or a Presea or a Merc they still take-up valuable space (which as an island is quite limited for us). In fact, I personally prefer cars like Altos in the city that take up lesser parking space, road space, etc...than other cars (did someone say Kei cars ?).

Agreed, to solve this issue the best way is to create a better public transportation service. Without that no matter how high the vehicle prices goes, people will somehow buy a vehicle.

If there is a way for everyone to travel easly using public transport many would prefer going on public transportation.

• Like 1