• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Headlight Bulb Upgrade

ravindasenarath

its projector type halogens I have. Thinking of LEDs now, seem better visibility /lifetime than HIDs acc to some reviews and less hassle. Are the Chinese ones with fan-cooling any good?

Edited by vag2

Yes, BUT there should be a bulb type, H1,H3,H4 etc... some headlight housings have the bulb type mentioned behind the housing itself. you can't just put whatever bulb u like mate.

IF LED's read reviews from a brand called AuxBeam seems to be good but yet to see anyone doing a comparison in SL. Youtube videos don't give justice to what u see exactly on the road. It would be advisable to go for a good brand Chinese or not, u dont need LED's flickering off while driving at night.

Check the bulb type first, have a little comparison with well known brands, IF too expensive go with an OEM one. was not satisfied with eBay HIDs i got back in the day was a waste of money but later on made a good decision in getting those nightbreakers in. Do a little bit more homework on this it might be worth it

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

This is the latest model of Nightbreaker bulb. I have not tried them yet. Both links you have posted are single bulb.

15 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

oh damn, I thought this is the pair of bulbs didnt realize it until you told, thanks man :) 

Machan take a look at the following as well

Philips Extreme Vision 

GE Night hawk

Nightbreakers are good, the new laser ones are a waste of money , no where near the claimed output and a tiny difference from the old unlimited . Philips and GE tend to be more reliable overtime, their cut off and light are also superior at least in my experience. 

Buying HIDs and LEDs are not easy as buying regular Halogens. See below email where I ordered set of LEDs and they replied saying that it’s no more compatible. If you just buy LED or HID based on bulb base you might be in a risk where it might not focus perfectly as halogens and it might scatter the light to oncoming traffic. 

DAFA3CCD-2706-49AE-B06C-40E524C3F1D9.jpeg

11 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Machan take a look at the following as well

Philips Extreme Vision 

GE Night hawk

Nightbreakers are good, the new laser ones are a waste of money , no where near the claimed output and a tiny difference from the old unlimited . Philips and GE tend to be more reliable overtime, their cut off and light are also superior at least in my experience. 

do you have a link of a product that you recommend? 

11 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Buying HIDs and LEDs are not easy as buying regular Halogens. See below email where I ordered set of LEDs and they replied saying that it’s no more compatible. If you just buy LED or HID based on bulb base you might be in a risk where it might not focus perfectly as halogens and it might scatter the light to oncoming traffic. 

DAFA3CCD-2706-49AE-B06C-40E524C3F1D9.jpeg

these are not LED's these are halogens :) not much of a HID  or LED fan :D 

2 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

do you have a link of a product that you recommend? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-H4-Xtreme-Vision-130-Headlight-Bulbs-12V-55W-eXtreme-P43t-38-Blue-W5W/323482848083?epid=1536936004&hash=item4b51148b53:g:ZBMAAOSwcUBYM6UF

The following (Racing vision) are the best I have ever come across as a performance bulb. They are the best among the bunch even better than the PIAA Xtreme white plus (in terms of brightness and visibility). The downside is that if your lucky you may get around 6 months life out of them. Xtreme vision, nightbreaker , night hawk platinum (this is hard to get it shipped to SL) give much better life roughly around 1 year in average usage. 100% blue coated bulbs like cool blue advance , cool blue hyper , cool blue boost are all useless in terms of visibility. If you really need a white light and proper brightness on a halogen the PIAA s are the only way to go while being quite expensive. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-H4-PHILIPS-Racing-Vision-150-Light-Car-Headlight-Bulbs-12V-55W-Blue-W5W/323207161304?epid=9003224047&hash=item4b40a5e5d8:g:awYAAOSwVuFbYk-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIAA-Xtreme-White-Plus-H4-Car-Replacement-Headlights-Bulbs-Twin-Pack-HE303/332316797314?epid=8017024781&hash=item4d5f9fe982:g:uTQAAOSwPDBaDBfG

If you need a white light while sacrificing a little bit on brightness and visibility these bulbs are the way to go. 

Osram Cool Blue Intense 

Philips Diamond Vision 

Xencn Gold Diamond 

Edited by TheFlyingFox

4 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-H4-Xtreme-Vision-130-Headlight-Bulbs-12V-55W-eXtreme-P43t-38-Blue-W5W/323482848083?epid=1536936004&hash=item4b51148b53:g:ZBMAAOSwcUBYM6UF

The following (Racing vision) are the best I have ever come across as a performance bulb. They are the best among the bunch even better than the PIAA Xtreme white plus (in terms of brightness and visibility). The downside is that if your lucky you may get around 6 months life out of them. Xtreme vision, nightbreaker , night hawk platinum (this is hard to get it shipped to SL) give much better life roughly around 1 year in average usage. 100% blue coated bulbs like cool blue advance , cool blue hyper , cool blue boost are all useless in terms of visibility. If you really need a white light and proper brightness on a halogen the PIAA s are the only way to go while being quite expensive. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-H4-PHILIPS-Racing-Vision-150-Light-Car-Headlight-Bulbs-12V-55W-Blue-W5W/323207161304?epid=9003224047&hash=item4b40a5e5d8:g:awYAAOSwVuFbYk-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIAA-Xtreme-White-Plus-H4-Car-Replacement-Headlights-Bulbs-Twin-Pack-HE303/332316797314?epid=8017024781&hash=item4d5f9fe982:g:uTQAAOSwPDBaDBfG

If you need a white light while sacrificing a little bit on brightness and visibility these bulbs are the way to go. 

Osram Cool Blue Intense 

Philips Diamond Vision 

Xencn Gold Diamond 

ahhh right... nah  brightness is  my main concern as i cant see in the night :D 

• 1 year later...

Hi All,
I use Mitu Lancer car which has H4 halogen lights with 60/55 W producing yellowish lights beams. The intensity of light is very low making it hard to drive in the night. When checked with few electricians they reccomond to change to higher wattage 75W and change the wiring too.
But when checked on options available, I came through some brands claiming producing higher light with same wattage.

I need to know whether it's ok to use bulbs producing high light (with 60/55 W) without changing wiring.

What are the available brands in SL purchase and perticular vendors that I can check with

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Hi All,
I use Mitu Lancer car which has H4 halogen lights with 60/55 W producing yellowish lights beams. The intensity of light is very low making it hard to drive in the night. When checked with few electricians they reccomond to change to higher wattage 75W and change the wiring too.
But when checked on options available, I came through some brands claiming producing higher light with same wattage.

I need to know whether it's ok to use bulbs producing high light (with 60/55 W) without changing wiring.

What are the available brands in SL purchase and perticular vendors that I can check with

Ps:- one of guarage asked for 6000 for changing wiring and replace halegon lights with 75W lights (seems those are of low quality).
Is it worth the or better to go only with bulb upgrades of same wattage.

2 hours ago, Menakec said:

Ps:- one of guarage asked for 6000 for changing wiring and replace halegon lights with 75W lights (seems those are of low quality).
Is it worth the or better to go only with bulb upgrades of same wattage.

Hi,

Well if you need better lighting its best to change to led lighting which does not need the wiring to be changed plus they are more efficient. Use a branded led kit like osram, Philips for example. Cheaper low quality alternatives seems to have poor life. 

Changing the wattage if not done properly will cause issues and more heat is also produced. 

Sometimes your light issue maybe due to poor headlight alignment. If corrected issues might be solved. 

If theirs anything else to clarify please be free to reply. 

Thank You : )

Edited by Grease Arcade Automotive
Edited due to spelling error

11 hours ago, Menakec said:

one of guarage asked for 6000 for changing wiring and replace halegon lights with 75W lights

If you are talking about 75 halogens, I have been there. Don't upgrade to higher wattage Halogens. KE72 on my pic has 100W halogens and it was lot of work. New wiring + new alternator + bigger battery. Don't do it..!!

I have even tried high light out put halogens. But Halogens are no match for LEDs or HIDs. Good set of LED would be your easiest solution. Simple plug and play. No electrical upgrades needed,

Also with my experience LEDs perform better on reflector headlights and HIDs work best on projector headlights.

image.thumb.png.55169604600a9425babc22418bfd0f55.png

Edited by kmeeg

1 hour ago, kmeeg said:

If you are talking about 75 halogens, I have been there. Don't upgrade to higher wattage Halogens. KE72 on my pic has 100W halogens and it was lot of work. New wiring + new alternator + bigger battery. Don't do it..!!

I have even tried high light out put halogens. But Halogens are no match for LEDs or HIDs. Good set of LED would be your easiest solution. Simple plug and play. No electrical upgrades needed,

Also with my experience LEDs perform better on reflector headlights and HIDs work best on projector headlights.

I partially agree with @kmeeg LED or HID is the way to go BUT if you're going with LED or HID headlights you'll need to upgrade to reflector style headlights otherwise its useless. If you just use LED bulbs in a reflector style housing the light won't be projected properly via the reflector style headlights and will scatter. Not only will that not be effective to drive with (you won't be able to see far ahead) but it will also annoy oncoming drivers and they will be constantly flashing at you.

Perhaps @kmeeg was referring to the LED bulbs that have built in projector lenses on the front. And if you are buying those then, that's fine. You can use those in a reflector style housing no problem (they are a bit more expensive though).

So to summarize:

1. If you are getting LED or HID lights you have to upgrade the whole headlight assembly to projector style lights like this: https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-toyota-round-xb-led-fog-lights?quantity=1 (That particular assembly is for fog lights but I'm sure you get the idea...Morimoto is a brand I've used before. I used a HID kit for about 5-6 years on my Nissan with no problems and even got my ballast replaced under warranty from them. Pricey, compared to other options available but good) 

2. You'll have to get LED headlight bulbs with the reflector built into the bulb assembly

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I partially agree with @kmeeg LED or HID is the way to go BUT if you're going with LED or HID headlights you'll need to upgrade to reflector style headlights otherwise its useless. If you just use LED bulbs in a reflector style housing the light won't be projected properly via the reflector style headlights and will scatter. Not only will that not be effective to drive with (you won't be able to see far ahead) but it will also annoy oncoming drivers and they will be constantly flashing at you.

Perhaps @kmeeg was referring to the LED bulbs that have built in projector lenses on the front. And if you are buying those then, that's fine. You can use those in a reflector style housing no problem (they are a bit more expensive though).

So to summarize:

1. If you are getting LED or HID lights you have to upgrade the whole headlight assembly to projector style lights like this: https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-toyota-round-xb-led-fog-lights?quantity=1 (That particular assembly is for fog lights but I'm sure you get the idea...Morimoto is a brand I've used before. I used a HID kit for about 5-6 years on my Nissan with no problems and even got my ballast replaced under warranty from them. Pricey, compared to other options available but good) 

2. You'll have to get LED headlight bulbs with the reflector built into the bulb assembly

No machan, I only installed the bulbs. HID inside projector low beams and LEDs on reflector highbeams and fogs.

Whole headlight assembly with new bulbs would be the best but not affordable. In city I only use HID low beams. So far no trouble.

KM1_4979.jpg

KM1_4978-2.jpg

50 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

No machan, I only installed the bulbs. HID inside projector low beams and LEDs on reflector highbeams and fogs.

Whole headlight assembly with new bulbs would be the best but not affordable. In city I only use HID low beams. So far no trouble.

KM1_4979.jpg

KM1_4978-2.jpg

Interesting: I feel your HID low beam in the projector housing are what gives you most of your distance viewing. But I have no way of proving that. Infact this picture is contrary  to that hypothesis...? because you are clearly seeing further down the road with the hi-beam.

Therotically LED bulbs in reflector headlights while seeming brighter shouldn't help you see further down the road as the reflector housings are known to scatter light from LED bulbs rather than focus them forward...Although as mentioned, looking at the picture above I can clearly see the hi-beam lights are focusing slightly further down the road than the low beams are...

So this debunks that theory then?! Or I wonder if you had a pair or LED headlights with a projector lens whether you'd be able to see even further down the road??

Edited by Kavvz

• 10 months later...
On 9/28/2020 at 6:07 AM, kmeeg said:

KM1_4979.jpg

KM1_4978-2.jpg

May I ask the brands/ models of your HID & LED bulbs?

• 2 months later...