• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Chevrolet Cruze 2003

Randeewa

Question

Hi

I am new to the forum and I need expert's opinion.

I have brought Chevrolet Cruze 2003 2 months ago after did research in internet (Specially Autolanka Forum and Crosswind thank you for your ideas it was big help). First I was decided to go for Swift Jeep model but when I found that the Cruze is fancy version of the Swift I went for it. (After seeing Autolanka and Crosswind's posts)

The Car was awesome it has 82000 on the clock and fully loaded (Touch AC with Climate Control, Fog Lights, Full Body Kit, Reverse Cam, DVD subwoofer, Airbags, ABS, Power Retractable Mirrors, etc) with very good interior/ Exterior/Engine Condition. Doing 10 Kmpl in heavy traffic and 12 outstation.

Brought from the first owner. The only problem I have facing is less comfortable in the car. In the good carpet roads ride is very good but when hit the small bump or plot hole it will bounce and vibrate lot.

When the time did purchasing I have checked the car with a mechanic and he says all shock absorbers are in the end of life and Rack end loosen. so the seller reduced the price I did the repair. I have replaced all 4 shock absorbers with original KYB and rack end. Mechanic says now it's in the original condition.

But I am not satisfy with comfortable and bounciness and vibrations . What I have to know is that normal for Suzuki swift /Chevrolet Cruze? or not what I have to do to correct it. Chevrolet Cruze owners please help. (Crosswind, your idea would greatly appreciating)

Thank you

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

When the shock absorbers are new, the ride will be a little uncomfortable. However, with time, it should get better. This is normal for any car. The keyword here is 'little'. However, if the ride is really uncomfortable, you may have fitted a pair of shocks that is not originally meant for this model. Please check the model number of the shock against the model number of the car HT51S/HT52S/HR51S/HR52S etc. Also did you change the type of shocks (oil to gas or vice versa)?

Edited by Crosswind

I think "rack end loosen" is common to these type.You will feel the vibration with rattle, sometimes its annoying. repair before it get worse. Mine has the same prob. A*W said it will cost about one lak. but one i Known said can replace for 20K.

Hi

I am new to the forum and I need expert's opinion.

I have brought Chevrolet Cruze 2003 2 months ago after did research in internet (Specially Autolanka Forum and Crosswind thank you for your ideas it was big help). First I was decided to go for Swift Jeep model but when I found that the Cruze is fancy version of the Swift I went for it. (After seeing Autolanka and Crosswind's posts)

The Car was awesome it has 82000 on the clock and fully loaded (Touch AC with Climate Control, Fog Lights, Full Body Kit, Reverse Cam, DVD subwoofer, Airbags, ABS, Power Retractable Mirrors, etc) with very good interior/ Exterior/Engine Condition. Doing 10 Kmpl in heavy traffic and 12 outstation.

Brought from the first owner. The only problem I have facing is less comfortable in the car. In the good carpet roads ride is very good but when hit the small bump or plot hole it will bounce and vibrate lot.

When the time did purchasing I have checked the car with a mechanic and he says all shock absorbers are in the end of life and Rack end loosen. so the seller reduced the price I did the repair. I have replaced all 4 shock absorbers with original KYB and rack end. Mechanic says now it's in the original condition.

But I am not satisfy with comfortable and bounciness and vibrations . What I have to know is that normal for Suzuki swift /Chevrolet Cruze? or not what I have to do to correct it. Chevrolet Cruze owners please help. (Crosswind, your idea would greatly appreciating)

Thank you

It's not a comfy car anyway but this may be too much. Specially the vibration, as you mentioned is worrying me. Better get it chechcked by someone competent. When I changed all 4 in my wife's car about 4 years back, ride was significantly better than before.

May I ask the cost of 4 shocks? Ours need all 4 too since long time ago. Also when you were buying dId you gave the vendor samples of did they managed with just make model and chassis number?

I think "rack end loosen" is common to these type.You will feel the vibration with rattle, sometimes its annoying. repair before it get worse. Mine has the same prob. A*W said it will cost about one lak. but one i Known said can replace for 20K.

It's not the rack end but steering rack it self is the culprit. A*W will tell you to change the whole damn thing and they actually did it for me. It was about 48k about 4 years back and lasted only about 3 months and noisy again.

Thank you very much all for quick Reply.

Mine is LA-HR51S first I thought Suzuki swift ones will fit but the supplier said there is slight difference and have to replace same model. So I ordered through him same model gas shocks (Old ones also KYb gas) same part number (I have checked by my self-part number and new one says "Made in Japan" and from sample he only get part number) front ones Rs11500.00 each and rear ones 6500.00 each total Rs36, 000.00 no delays at all.

The rack end thing I didn't replaced complete rack only repaired rack end (Mechanic says "Bush") before there was noise from there and after repairing it was completely disappeared.

Key word "Little" I am not meant ride is that much uncomfortable and whole car is vibrating lot all the time. In the smooth carpet road ride is good. My problem is even little road roughness feel at car inside. Dash board and seats are vibrating and make noises front door locks center mirror are also vibrate all the time and make noises. If the road is very rough (I meant typical Sri Lankan "tara guli puropu tara parawal) car is bouncing and vibrating almost every part inside. very annoying. Altogether I meant ride is not smooth as I expected from Cruze. And compared with other cars I have drove in same roads not have this kind of problem (Nissan March beetle, Suzuki swift beetle (Japan), Mazda Demio, my bad is I have never drove Suzuki swift Jeep model.

Did you do a wheel alignment after replacing shocks? I suggest you start there. Get your wheels balanced at the same time. Although this has nothing to do with your problem, these are part of regular maintenance.

When you replaced the shocks, did you check the struts, tie rods, ball joints and other suspension components checked out? How is their condition? If you haven't checked these, do get them checked.

If they are also in good condition, then it will be time to move to the steering rack, as many have pointed above.

I would suggest taking the car to A*W Kitulwatte for an opinion. They generally have a good reputation over here in AL.

Did you do a wheel alignment after replacing shocks? I suggest you start there. Get your wheels balanced at the same time. Although this has nothing to do with your problem, these are part of regular maintenance.

When you replaced the shocks, did you check the struts, tie rods, ball joints and other suspension components checked out? How is their condition? If you haven't checked these, do get them checked.

If they are also in good condition, then it will be time to move to the steering rack, as many have pointed above.

I would suggest taking the car to A*W Kitulwatte for an opinion. They generally have a good reputation over here in AL.

Hi.

Crosswind, thanks for advice.

I have completely checked my car last weekend and few things corrected and got big improvement. You are correct there was loosen in steering rack when fixing earlier. Mechanic apologizes to me and tightened it now the steering wheel is bit tight but it is OK to me. Half of problem gone away. Right side ball joints ball joint loosen and mechanic repaired it. All the interior nuts, bolts tightened (Specially Front two seats screws) plastic clips replaced.

You are also correct about new shock absorbers now it's getting better and better.

Also Wheel alignments done. All alloy wheels valves replaced (there was slight air leakage from 2 valves) and nitrogen filled,

Now the ride is OK. I am very happy with my Cruze.

Thanks again.

Dear All,

Please let me know where to go to purchase a steering rack of Chevy Cruze. I have had this rattling noise for quite some time and now it has become worse and think that it is the time for a replacement. May I also know that Suzuki swift Rack fits into the Cruze ?

Hope that veterans at AL can help me with this !!! :speechless-smiley-006:

Thanks in advance