• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Thieves Removing Side Mirrors On Vezel

Mdpperera

Thank you all for your replies. Yes CCTV is the best solution so far and police also recommended that. But these systems are so expensive in SL (Package + Installation) 1.3MP HD 4 Cam system asking 90000/- :speechless-smiley-003::speechless-smiley-006:

Where is the best place to go and check some CCTV systems? Any contact?

Also Yes Motion sensors will be very helpful, and I am planning to fix those clip lockers to my Vezel side mirrors. :sad-smiley-067:

Thank you all for your replies. Yes CCTV is the best solution so far and police also recommended that. But these systems are so expensive in SL (Package + Installation) 1.3MP HD 4 Cam system asking 90000/- :speechless-smiley-003::speechless-smiley-006:

Also Yes Motion sensors will be very helpful, and I am planning to fix those clip lockers to my Vezel side mirrors. :sad-smiley-067:

Read Sampath's post above. It won't cost you 90K. It won't even cost you 1/4 of that.

Just have a half an our visit on 1st Cross Street , Pettah. You can understand the quality & price of different systems/components.

The people who install CCTV systems earn a lot. When I install mine, I couldn't complete remote login process alone. Checked with a CCTV installation guy. He quoted me Rs.4,500/= for just making remote login. My office friend helped me to install remote login and (he also new to the subject) he completed it within 20 minutes gone through manuals and some internet searches. So CCTV installation is not a rocket science. There is a shop close to my residence which sell coconut and coconut oil only and they too have a 4 channel CCTV system. :)

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

Just have a half an our visit on 1st Cross Street , Pettah. You can understand the quality & price of different systems/components.

The people who install CCTV systems earn a lot. When I install mine, I couldn't complete remote login process alone. Checked with a CCTV installation guy. He quoted me Rs.4,500/= for just making remote login. My office friend helped me to install remote login and (he also new to the subject) he completed it within 20 minutes gone through manuals and some internet searches. So CCTV installation is not a rocket science. There is a shop close to my residence which sell coconut and coconut oil only and they too have a 4 channel CCTV system. :)

Hi Sampath, any shop in 1st cross st. you could recommend? Were they helpful explaining the quality differences in different camera / DVR types?

Hi Sampath, any shop in 1st cross st. you could recommend? Were they helpful explaining the quality differences in different camera / DVR types?

Sorry, no special place to recommend.

Before you visit there better to do some google search of CCTV components and learn. When I search on google, I found few posts posted on cow-milk.com :) and sorry I am unable to post them here since it violates forum rules.

There were two posts clearly describing different type of cameras, advantages of them and different type DVRs ... . and aslo how to install them with noraml remote logging settings.

I was just thinking while going through the posts.. Has anyone considered the following?

1. What if the thief reads these posts? Everyone has a smart phone these days, and Autolanka is popular..!

2. Let's say you installed a CCTV (fake or real). So what? all the thief needs is a handkerchief to cover the face. Let's say if you see the thief's face. So what? it's only helpful if you know the fellow, and catch him.

3. Fake rivets on badges - I don't think a thief even looks at the badge when he snatches it off the car. So a fake rivet would only mean that the thief can sell it at a slightly higher price at Panchikawatta... bonus..!

4. Motion sensors connected to a doorbell - ok let's say the doorbell rings at 2 a.m. It'll at least take you a minute to wake up, come to your senses, look for that 2 x 2 stick and open the door. That's a good window of time for the thief to climb back onto the other side of the wall.

I might have sounded stupid above, but being a victim of theft myself, I feel the pain a car owner goes through when you see a missing mirror, a badge or a dust cap. I've now sort of learnt to put myself in the thief's shoes to prevent theft. So I'll only depend on hardcore protection on my car. A proper garage with concrete all over, locked with a metal door and the largest padlock. Come steal from that..!

• Like 3

Sampath, Can you fix wired IP camera system or Wireless IP cam system without having an internet connection? Curious to know whtr internet facility is must thing for IP cam system.

Also as JayZ asked please share some shop info with us. :sport-smiley-004:

If you need to install a CCTV system with normal recording function and if remote viewing (view on-line) is not required, you can install the system without internet connection. (It is just plug and play) .

But if you need to add remote viewing (view on-line) function, definitely you need an internet connection to connect the DVR.

Remote viewing you can do in two ways.

(1) You have to install the relevant software to your laptop and you can have remote viewing. (Your lap top need wi-fi or internet connection)

(2) You can use cloud computing like http://www.nvsip.com/ and you can use remote viewing from any computer in the world which has internet connection.

Same nvisp app can install you your smart phone and you can have remote viewing.

• Like 1

Before you visit there better to do some google search of CCTV components and learn. When I search on google, I found few posts posted on cow-milk.com :) and sorry I am unable to post them here since it violates forum rules.

There were two posts clearly describing different type of cameras, advantages of them and different type DVRs ... . and aslo how to install them with noraml remote logging settings.

Thanks matchn. Will check the site.

I was just thinking while going through the posts.. Has anyone considered the following?

1. What if the thief reads these posts? Everyone has a smart phone these days, and Autolanka is popular..!

2. Let's say you installed a CCTV (fake or real). So what? all the thief needs is a handkerchief to cover the face. Let's say if you see the thief's face. So what? it's only helpful if you know the fellow, and catch him.

3. Fake rivets on badges - I don't think a thief even looks at the badge when he snatches it off the car. So a fake rivet would only mean that the thief can sell it at a slightly higher price at Panchikawatta... bonus..!

4. Motion sensors connected to a doorbell - ok let's say the doorbell rings at 2 a.m. It'll at least take you a minute to wake up, come to your senses, look for that 2 x 2 stick and open the door. That's a good window of time for the thief to climb back onto the other side of the wall.

I might have sounded stupid above, but being a victim of theft myself, I feel the pain a car owner goes through when you see a missing mirror, a badge or a dust cap. I've now sort of learnt to put myself in the thief's shoes to prevent theft. So I'll only depend on hardcore protection on my car. A proper garage with concrete all over, locked with a metal door and the largest padlock. Come steal from that..!

One should select whatever suitable safety precaution/s for him depending on his purpose ,budget and the possibility of functioning.

Anyway have you ever heard the story of 3 hearing aids? :)

A person visited a shop to buy a hearing aid for his family member.

There were 3 sets in different price bands; Rs.20,000, Rs.10,000 and last one just for Rs.20.

First two sets were branded and battery operated . Additionally Rs.20,000 set had some additional functions like extra water proofing, long lasting battery...

The third one is just two small bottle rubber closures (small bottle lids made in rubber), each connecting to a piece of wire and two wires are connected at the free end. (Physically looks like wired hearing aid)

The person ask from the shop owner, when you use Rs.20 set, how it helps to increase the hearing ability.

Shop owner replied, you have to wear these rubber pieces in your ears and insert the combined wire end in to your shirt pocket.

When other people see this equipment, they know that you are having some hearing problem. So they start to speak you louder. :)

• Like 6

One should select whatever suitable safety precaution/s for him depending on his purpose ,budget and the possibility of functioning.

Anyway have you ever heard the story of 3 hearing aids? :)

A person visited a shop to buy a hearing aid for his family member.

There were 3 sets in different price bands; Rs.20,000, Rs.10,000 and last one just for Rs.20.

First two sets were branded and battery operated . Additionally Rs.20,000 set had some additional functions like extra water proofing, long lasting battery...

The third one is just two small bottle rubber closures (small bottle lids made in rubber), each connecting to a piece of wire and two wires are connected at the free end. (Physically looks like wired hearing aid)

The person ask from the shop owner, when you use Rs.20 set, how it helps to increase the hearing ability.

Shop owner replied, you have to wear these rubber pieces in your ears and insert the combined wire end in to your shirt pocket.

When other people see this equipment, they know that you are having some hearing problem. So they start to speak you louder. :)

I see your point Sampath.. and I've heard about the "Russians using a pencil to write upside down in space" story as well.. :-)

Priorities differ from person to person. I use a car worth 1.5 million, and built a garage for 300K for that. So I didn't see the point of using a fake rivet or a CCTV to protect a Vezel worth 5.5 million.

Of course if the fake rivet works, then all good.. but we're just under-estimating the enemy here I guessed. And we are not really "protecting" the car, but rather beating around the bush aren't we?

I see your point Sampath.. and I've heard about the "Russians using a pencil to write upside down in space" story as well.. :-)

Priorities differ from person to person. I use a car worth 1.5 million, and built a garage for 300K for that. So I didn't see the point of using a fake rivet or a CCTV to protect a Vezel worth 5.5 million.

Of course if the fake rivet works, then all good.. but we're just under-estimating the enemy here I guessed. And we are not really "protecting" the car, but rather beating around the bush aren't we?

Agree with you ae100. Proper garage is the best option.

But still there may be some limitations like when you are in rented house or when garden space is not enough you have to seek another option/s.

That is way I said "One should select whatever suitable safety precaution/s for him depending on his purpose ,budget and the possibility of functioning." :)

Bought 4chanel DVR with 4 IR night vision waterproof cams, I TB seagate hard drive , power supply unit, 100m of both cam wires and power wires from 1st cross Street for 34k. All have 1 year warranty and only time consuming part was running the wires to the DVR. Quotation from my electrician was 90k for a similar spec setup. That DVR itself having motion sensing alarm, vedio loss alarm, etc. Ive got another battery operated motion sensor alarm with remote which is very useful as you can place it near your vehicle at night. (Costs about 5 $ at ebay)

• Like 1

You got a point....

Ideally, there are 2 kinds of thieves... one who are afraid to take the risk, and one who takes the plunge.. so installing a fake camera will prevent the 1st kind of thieves entering... so you are left with a 50% of probability protecting your assets...

You don't have to necessarily look for that 2 x 2 stick, if you keep it under your bed... I of course have that equipment ("Henduwa") used by mahouts to tackle elephants under my bed all the time, so you know where you should place your hand when you get out of your bed...

I found a good huge fake camera for 4$ in ebay which rotates and blinks with red light... have to use 3 batteries though, but not sure how long will the turning and blinking of the lights last with the batteries....

Hey Sampath, Thank you for your replies. Those are very useful. Also others thank you so much for the comments. I am still contacting few CCTV guys and companies to get a good quote, but most of them are above 80K for HD 4 Cams (1.3Mp) 4 channel system. If I can find a electrician who fix these I dont mind buying a system from fort.

Insurance guys still did not approve my 2nd claim so I am awaiting to hear from them. Now that I have made too claims, will there be an additional charges for next year's insurance? :sad-smiley-068:

Hey Sampath, Thank you for your replies. Those are very useful. Also others thank you so much for the comments. I am still contacting few CCTV guys and companies to get a good quote, but most of them are above 80K for HD 4 Cams (1.3Mp) 4 channel system. If I can find a electrician who fix these I dont mind buying a system from fort.

Insurance guys still did not approve my 2nd claim so I am awaiting to hear from them. Now that I have made too claims, will there be an additional charges for next year's insurance? :sad-smiley-068:

They dont approve, really? What is your insurance provider btw?

maxxa, very funny :medium-smiley-037:

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="eyepea" data-cid="282931" data-time="1442459340"><p>

when using cctv, has anyone considered remote recording ? Is this easy to implement?<br />

I heard of a hardware shop that had cctv. Burger had located and taken the DVR. </p></blockquote>

Yes and it's possible at a cost of considerably large data package esp with newer higher TVL cameras.

Better solution would be a NVR with a wireless backup disk but again hiding it from the culprits will be a real challenge. However locating a DVR is easy with all the wires leading to it but You could easily disguise a NVR as a TV setup box or something.

Edited by maersk

Keeping the DVR safe would not only suffice... The fellow can even cover the camera from a cloth or spray some paint onto the camera lens and block the camera.. in that case all these are going to waste....

Haven't heard anyone who have installed an electric fence mechanism around the vehicles. I'm assuming it's going to be very expensive... but if you can build up a garage for 300k, I can't think why can't someone build up an electric fence instead...

Guys, what are your thoughts about this fake device? Does anyone know how long the battery would last? if plugged 24/7 at a stretch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231319352464?euid=565c06da009944d2b896a8330c6d4446&cp=1&exe=12808&ext=32575&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

Edited by PreseaLover