• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Thieves Removing Side Mirrors On Vezel

Mdpperera

Hi All,

This is to get an advice, I have a Honda Vezel and last week a thief has robbed my left side whole mirror with the mirror arm + two "H" letter honda Gold badges . I fixed everything last saturday with insurance cover and installed parallel motion sensor to alert when someone touch (bit a hard knock) the car. :sad-smiley-068:

But again today they have removed my both the mirror lenses. Vehicle was parked in my house and I am curious to know is there any solution for this. How many of you faced this mirror or emblem (logo) removals of your vehicle. :speechless-smiley-019:

If you guys know any solution please let me know, according to police this is a raising issue. :sad-smiley-066:

Thanks

Dumi##a

Edited by Mdpperera

Hi All,

This is to get an advice, I have a Honda Vezel and last week a thief has robbed my left side whole mirror with the mirror arm + two "H" letter honda Gold badges . I fixed everything last saturday with insurance cover and installed parallel motion sensor to alert when someone touch (bit a hard knock) the car. :sad-smiley-068:

But again today they have removed my both the mirror lenses. Vehicle was parked in my house and I am curious to know is there any solution for this. How many of you faced this mirror or emblem (logo) removals of your vehicle. :speechless-smiley-019:

If you guys know any solution please let me know, according to police this is a raising issue. :sad-smiley-066:

Thanks

Dumi##a

Where's your house located at? Some areas have this problem severely.

Is the car parked some distance away from your house? if a thief can enter your premises and make off with the cars mirrors then they will not stop at just the car - you have a bit of a security problem rite? Car mirrors badges dust caps(almost everytime in peradeniya), getting stolen while in car parks, public places etc is fairly commonplace but being stolen while parked at home is bad.

• Like 3

mmm it was some time , they started doing this, maybe for GP5's too, make sure to retract side mirrors every time, somebody has demonstrated the stunt for one of friends , he told me and he was amazed that how fast they do this. according to them stolen one could be priced over around 15k :(

Edited by tuner88

My Area is Kohuwala and my neighbourhood is full of car sales. recently I fixed shock sensor too but some how this thief removed side mirrors without any noise and opened the mirrors from lock position.

Check these pictures they just break the mirror arm and take take the whole unit. after I fixed that 2 days ago today removed both the mirror lenses. This should stop soon. maybe hunt down the third party car part sellers who buy these stuff.

FYI: insurance was very supportive but i am not sure they want this to be continue.

Last two pictures were the recent robbery.

Also note this has happened in the night while we were at home around 10.30pm, police took fingerprints and all but I am not sure how they are going to trace.

Still seeking proper solutions for these robberies.

post-67933-0-81632300-1442209898_thumb.j

post-67933-0-15061900-1442209901_thumb.j

post-67933-0-67355700-1442209904_thumb.j

post-67933-0-24470000-1442209907_thumb.j

• Like 1

Spoke to Darley road guy and he said revert your car badges, back viper and side mirror lenses (from inside) and if needed they said they can put a small chain and revert the to end to vehicle body and to side mirror unit too so that thieves cannot remove that.

But my questions is why we take all this hassle and damage original car. :sad-smiley-068: Feel like questioning why Police are there when these things happening openly :sad-smiley-066::speechless-smiley-019:

• Like 1

Police know the persons who are involve in stealing & buying those stolen goods but they will not act and you know the reason well.

You have to protect your property by only your efforts.

Security Alarm and a dog are good options.

Edited by KingSasanka

Since this happens at your own home, you can also think about installing a CCTV unit or even a simple motion sensor that triggers a light or something as this is happening too frequently. A cheap Chinese CCTV unit can be purchased for less than 10,000. Cannot comment on their reliability as I have not used them personally.

According to your first picture, neither riveting nor chaining will prevent from that kind of damage. The mirror appears to be broken off from the arm itself. Can't believe the bugger actually did that without making a sound. Even if the thief was interested in nabbing only the glasses while they are secured using cables, I think they can be cut using pliers pretty easily.

If you really don't want to drill the body of the car to rivet the badges, What you can probably do is paste rivet heads on the badges so that they appear to be riveted. This was suggested by someone on the forum many months ago and I thought it was a good way to fool thieves into thinking that the badges are actually riveted. :)

• Like 2

Seem's like this is done by a person who knows your garden/house and your schedule well... Keep an eye on the neighbors maybe? Doing it one time is somewhat normal but doing it for the second time means that obviously someone is keeping an eye on you and your vezel...

one of my office colleague has set up a motion sensor and a CCTV cam cover. He has no camera inside and the no computer system. People tend to think that he has some complex CCTV system :D :D

Damn bycap, thats a very good idea... I should do it too... somedays I found that my car has been scratched while at home, and the scratch marks were too deep for a cat or a bird to do it... there was a huge key scratch mark on my bonnet before I had it painted so im also gonna try this out.....

Can you ask your friend, from where he bought that CCTV Cam cover/the motion sensor? :)

I'd recommend CCTV camera system plus hi wattage floodlight/s with motion sensor. I don't think any thief would take a risk with that kind of arrangement. Not a thief but I'm sure they do a comprehensive risk assessment prior action.

You could add few dummy cameras to your system for additional cover. Some of the dummy cameras are fitted with flashing LED with a motion sensor and they stat flashing only someone is around and that is pretty scary from a thiefs point of view giving anyone the feeling of someone is watching. Little expensive than a normal dummy with a continues flashing light but reduces the battery changing.

Check eBay. Saw few on that 'quick' site too but they are not fitted with any lights/sensors. Very dummy!

You won't need any of this if you can get a dog or two.

Good luck!

• Like 1

(1) Once I used motion sensor. I connected it with a lamp and also to a door bell which gives continuous beep when sensor sense some moving objective. Worked for a longer period.

(2) You can install a CCTV system. If you need a good system you can buy some good quality brands.

If not, just for this purpose, you can buy normal quality system at lower price from 1st cross street, Pettah.

Three weeks back I bought a set. (normal quality)

1 camera Night vision two years warranty- Rs.3500/=

DVR (4 port) Rs.5,500/=

cables and other items Rs.1500/=

Hard disk will be about Rs.7000/= (I didn't buy since I don''t need recording function at the moment)

These days, my upper floor constructions are going on at home and I am monitoring the progress through on-line in my office hours.

Installation also very simple. CCTV are not so expensive any more.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

(1) Once I used motion sensor. I connected it with a lamp and also to a door bell which gives continuous beep when sensor sense some moving objective. Worked for a longer period.

(2) You can install a CCTV system. If you need a good system you can buy some good quality brands.

If not, just for this purpose, you can buy normal quality system at lower price from 1st cross street, Pettah.

DVR (4 port) Rs.5,500/=

Hard disk will be about Rs.7000/= (I didn't buy since I don''t need recording function at the moment)

These days, my upper floor constructions are going on at home and I am monitoring the progress through on-line in my office hours.

Thanks for the Info...

However I need few things to be clarified as I don't have the slightest knowledge on how these works.

1) If you have only 1 camera, why did you buy a 4 port DVR?

2) If you are not recording anything, lets say someone robbed in, in the night, how would you playback the videos to identify who the thief is?

3) How much electricity is being consumed by having a 24 hour monitoring system like this?

4) Why don't you use a wireless system instead?

5) When checking the video's online real time do we have to setup a wireless system or a wired system?

6) When using wireless, does it connect via internet? (in that case we need to on wifi 24/7 yes?)

7) When using a wired system, do we have to do a special installation with plugs/switches etc for the wiring?

Appreciate your feedback :)

DVR (4 port) Rs.5,500/=

Does your DVR have a 3G modem built it ? I have no idea about the DVRs available in the market ? care to explain how your thingamajiggy works ?

I will answer few questions. :)

Thanks for the Info...

However I need few things to be clarified as I don't have the slightest knowledge on how these works.

1) If you have only 1 camera, why did you buy a 4 port DVR?

DVR comes with minimum 4 port

2) If you are not recording anything, lets say someone robbed in, in the night, how would you playback the videos to identify who the thief is?

Read my post carefully. My requirement is clearly mentioned.

3) How much electricity is being consumed by having a 24 hour monitoring system like this?

Never measured.

4) Why don't you use a wireless system instead?

5) When checking the video's online real time do we have to setup a wireless system or a wired system?

Both possible. you can watch through smartphone as well.

6) When using wireless, does it connect via internet? (in that case we need to on wifi 24/7 yes?)

7) When using a wired system, do we have to do a special installation with plugs/switches etc for the wiring?

Appreciate your feedback :)

Please see below two video clips which will give you basic idea on CCTV.

Google for remote viewing.

Remote viewing installation is very easy with latest DVR.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Does your DVR have a 3G modem built it ? I have no idea about the DVRs available in the market ? care to explain how your thingamajiggy works ?

Nope. I have a four port router with unlimited internet connection at my home. Also similar connection at office.

Just connected one port with DVR.

I couldn't install remote viewing process alone and got hep from IT guy in office. However now a days DVRs don't need complicated settings. (even not required to change any router settings). software can be downloaded through net and few settings to make. As per my office guy remote viewing through cloud computing is easy. (Sorry I don't know to explain them). :)

Theft of vehicle parts is on the increase because after the world metal prices have gone down in the current market, more and more druggies seem to have turned their focus from scrap metal to vehicle parts. So take better care of your vehicles.

• Like 2

You could use a NVR (Network video recorder) instead of DVR with IP cameras thus eliminating all the wires from DVR to cameras. Still you need to power up the cameras which can be done locally. Also there's the option to use wires too. If you have seen the amount of wires going in to the DVR, you'd choose wireless system without even blinking.

About the power consumption, I have a 8ch system (DVR) and my UPS (smallest in the market) powering the system i.e. DVR & 8 cameras for about 45 mins so not much.

• Like 1