• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Topping Up Coolant

tcfern1

As far as I know Coolant is Coolant and only differ is color as you cannot mix red with green or the other way.

If you have a doubt flush the existing and refill it with a known brand.

Recommended to go for a branded ones like A8bro.

I don't think that particular coolant is necessary for a toyota.

Just top up with similar colour reputed brand.like wurth or Mobil.

Even though I dont believe in caltex brand,their coolent is reasonable and does the job.

The job of the coolent is to dissipate heat from engine and transfer it to radiator. Even water can do it.coolent was developed for prevent the corrosion factor. And prevent freezing on snow falling countries.

So coolent is something where you should not allow toyota to rip you off.

• Like 2

What I heard from A*W service guys when servicing my Alto is, "no need to put coolant when topping up and just distilled water is good enough". Unless leaking, coolant loss happens due to vaporizing and mostly only water in coolant get vaporize.

Ethylene glycol is the chemical in most coolant and boiling point is 197C, so does not get vaporize much in engine running temperature.

• Like 1

Even though I dont believe in caltex brand,their coolent is reasonable and does the job.

The job of the coolent is to dissipate heat from engine and transfer it to radiator. Even water can do it.coolent was developed for prevent the corrosion factor. And prevent freezing on snow falling countries.

Also it contain chemicals to do above job. So the quality of the chemicals differs by brand. Try to go for a internationally recognized brand instead of locally contaminates.

Repeat
Edited by LancerL

Repeat

Edited by LancerL

Yes,apart from the Ethylene glycol other stuff are actually not necessary on our context where we dont have freezing temperatures.

And Toyota branded oils/lubricants are not par superior as most blokes think.they outsource those and rebadge it with high price tag.that is called gullible marketing and I don't like that.

Yes,a reputed Brad would do.but not necessarily the toyota branded stuff.

I super agree with Chan5.

A pure distilled water is capable of serving coolant function.

But, never use drinking water, as it contains minerals which could deposit and clog the radiator.

Anyway, a dedicated coolant agents consists following properties than a pure distilled water.

1) Increased boiling point (more than 190 degree Celsius) //therefore evaporation potential is reduced, also reduces water vapor pressure inside the radiator. Reveals extended heat absorption capacity than a pure distilled water.

2) Colored dye //so that we can easily identify the leaking points

3) Corrosion inhibition //suppress corrosion in their passage, reduces chances for leaks

4) Anti-freezing //helps to prevent the freezing of coolant water in winter temperatures when vehicles are parked. Ensures the normal function of engine on next day.

The 4th coolant property is not necessary for a tropical countries like SL.

I super agree with Chan5.

A pure distilled water is capable of serving coolant function.

But, never use drinking water, as it contains minerals which could deposit and clog the radiator.

Anyway, a dedicated coolant agents consists following properties than a pure distilled water.

1) Increased boiling point (more than 190 degree Celsius) //therefore evaporation potential is reduced, also reduces water vapor pressure inside the radiator. Reveals extended heat absorption capacity than a pure distilled water.

2) Colored dye //so that we can easily identify the leaking points

3) Corrosion inhibition //suppress corrosion in their passage, reduces chances for leaks

4) Anti-freezing //helps to prevent the freezing of coolant water in winter temperatures when vehicles are parked. Ensures the normal function of engine on next day.

The 4th coolant property is not necessary for a tropical countries like SL.

Theres this factor as well, lubricant qualities in said coolants for water pump etc. did my home work and have found exact match for Toyota Super long life coolant. It contains the same chemical composition for far lesser price. Valvoline Zerex Asian Vehicle Coolant. Bought it from Nepka motors in Panchi for 1750/- (toyota SLLC is close to 8k at local agents and surprisingly container looks similar too. Could be toyota outsourced from them) for 50/50 pre-mix. Really dont want stuck in nowhere for couple of bucks by failing water pump. Edited by Ruslan
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I know this is an old post but didnt want to open another new one.

I recently had my radiator repaired...the tank had to be replaced.

The guy who did it advised me not use coolant only but mix distilled water as well.

My car is a 2002 Premio 1.8 Ltr

Is there a proper coolant to water ratio i need to adhere to or just mix whatever potions i want?

Hi Guys,

The guy who did it advised me not use coolant only but mix distilled water as well.

Is there a proper coolant to water ratio i need to adhere to or just mix whatever potions i want?

Most of time, mixing ration is indicated in label. (if it is water mixing type)

There are some coolant in the market which use as it is without diluting

Amila

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Hi Guys,

Coolant doesn't have heat absorbing properties. If you only use coolant, you run the risk of overheating your engine and if you only use distilled water, you run the risk of rust and clogging your radiator over time.

Coolant bottles come with the proper mixing ratios mentioned on the label, you can even buy premixed if you want to avoid the hassle of mixing. I personally recommend Wurth, costs only 850 per litre and the mixing ratio is 1:3 (confirm it by reading the label though).

• Like 1