• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Non Mainstream Vehicle In Sri Lanka.

sahanlak

Question

Hey Guys,

Currently I'm using a Toyota Aqua, not because it's a hybrid but given the price considerations that was the only option I had when buying my first brand new toyota (my father drag me in to buying a toyota).

I am looking to switch cars and currently looking at Mazda 3/Axela, Subaru XV. Also looked at used BMW X1 and as I heard maintenance costs are bit high.

Both mazda axela and subarus are hybrids, (again only brand new option I have for my budget)

I've had few incidents with my Aqua and each time I took the car to Toyota Lanka and I'm hooked on their service. And my question mainly is around this, for non mainstreamers out there, how do you guys get your car repaired when s*** goes down.

Reputable agent, service place and parts is a huge concern

I spoke to couple of Mazda and Subaru users and they always say, "It's new, I don't expect an issue and I'm going going to sell it in few years, so no trouble". Great! I wish I could tell the same for mine, but a rat attacked my vehicle and only agents could pin down the issue to a wire in Hybrid system. Sh** happens and good agents should be there to back the vehicle.

I spoke to Mazda and Subaru agents on Axela and XV.

Mazda agent - "Sir, danata oya hybrid eken wahane 2k 3k awa, mona hari karala duwanna hadala denawa, booking ekak dagena enna".

Subaru agent - "We're doing the petrol model of XV, but we don't have any tools or anything to repair the hybrid system, our scanners support it so we can help to give a scan if you are buying from an importer. Body parts are same as petrol one so should be no issue. Also XV's hybrid system is not like toyota, so even if it fails you can still run on petrol".

As you can see both responses are not quite promising.

My preference for a vehicle.

1. Good service centers to get the vehicle repaired if something goes wrong.

2. Even if there are good service centers, get repairs done in a timely manner.

3. Reasonably priced parts. (I can't afford a BMW repairs or services so anything under that range)

4. Ease of selling. (Just want to sell it quickly, don't mind the depreciation much)

For above criteria do you think it's wise to go ahead with a non mainstream vehicle in sri lanka?

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Hey Guys,

Currently I'm using a Toyota Aqua, not because it's a hybrid but given the price considerations that was the only option I had when buying my first brand new toyota (my father drag me in to buying a toyota).

I am looking to switch cars and currently looking at Mazda 3/Axela, Subaru XV. Also looked at used BMW X1 and as I heard maintenance costs are bit high.

Both mazda axela and subarus are hybrids, (again only brand new option I have for my budget)

I've had few incidents with my Aqua and each time I took the car to Toyota Lanka and I'm hooked on their service. And my question mainly is around this, for non mainstreamers out there, how do you guys get your car repaired when s*** goes down.

Reputable agent, service place and parts is a huge concern

I spoke to couple of Mazda and Subaru users and they always say, "It's new, I don't expect an issue and I'm going going to sell it in few years, so no trouble". Great! I wish I could tell the same for mine, but a rat attacked my vehicle and only agents could pin down the issue to a wire in Hybrid system. Sh** happens and good agents should be there to back the vehicle.

I spoke to Mazda and Subaru agents on Axela and XV.

Mazda agent - "Sir, danata oya hybrid eken wahane 2k 3k awa, mona hari karala duwanna hadala denawa, booking ekak dagena enna".

Subaru agent - "We're doing the petrol model of XV, but we don't have any tools or anything to repair the hybrid system, our scanners support it so we can help to give a scan if you are buying from an importer. Body parts are same as petrol one so should be no issue. Also XV's hybrid system is not like toyota, so even if it fails you can still run on petrol".

As you can see both responses are not quite promising.

My preference for a vehicle.

1. Good service centers to get the vehicle repaired if something goes wrong.

2. Even if there are good service centers, get repairs done in a timely manner.

3. Reasonably priced parts. (I can't afford a BMW repairs or services so anything under that range)

4. Ease of selling. (Just want to sell it quickly, don't mind the depreciation much)

For above criteria do you think it's wise to go ahead with a non mainstream vehicle in sri lanka?

I have only used non-mainstream vehicles during my vehicle ownership in Sri Lanka (since 2005). Currently I own a Ford. Been owning it since 2011 September and I bought it brand new. Agents are alright. Nothing to praise or criticise. They just do their job.

When I need small, expensive parts, I use eBay.

Why do I always buy non-mainstream vehicles? I don't want to look like the medical rep next door or a manik mudalali or a village politician or a taxi driver.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

I bought the petrol XV for a slightly higher price than hybrid, but that was before the permit prices skyrocketed. I was convinced to buy a Mazda3 before changing the mind. I'm a hybrid antagonist so all my choices were petrol ones.

As far as I have seen Jehan at Subaru is doing a good job. Every time I visit I see more hybrid XVs than any other Subarus. Mostly they're for regular maintenance but mechanical repairs shouldn't be a any issue. Problems with electrical/electronic parts of the hybrid system is doubtful.

Axela is a great car. If you like small sedans go for that. XV is a versatile vehicle. You cannot go wrong with either choice.

Considering resale I think Mazda3/Axela is fast moving than XV. You could as well buy a Premio G Superior and be happy with the resale, parts availability and reliability factors. No love for Lancer or ASX?

I bought the petrol XV for a slightly higher price than hybrid, but that was before the permit prices skyrocketed. I was convinced to buy a Mazda3 before changing the mind. I'm a hybrid antagonist so all my choices were petrol ones.

As far as I have seen Jehan at Subaru is doing a good job. Every time I visit I see more hybrid XVs than any other Subarus. Mostly they're for regular maintenance but mechanical repairs shouldn't be a any issue. Problems with electrical/electronic parts of the hybrid system is doubtful.

Axela is a great car. If you like small sedans go for that. XV is a versatile vehicle. You cannot go wrong with either choice.

Considering resale I think Mazda3/Axela is fast moving than XV. You could as well buy a Premio G Superior and be happy with the resale, parts availability and reliability factors. No love for Lancer or ASX?

Thanks Sharma, that's reassuring.

I saw in on thread mentioning, since Senok is the sole Subaru service provider they charge unreasonable amounts when it come to parts, is that true?

I didn't find anything new on mitsubishi except for 2008 2nd hand lancers, same for ASX

I have only used non-mainstream vehicles during my vehicle ownership in Sri Lanka (since 2005). Currently I own a Ford. Been owning it since 2011 September and I bought it brand new. Agents are alright. Nothing to praise or criticise. They just do their job.

When I need small, expensive parts, I use eBay.

Why do I always buy non-mainstream vehicles? I don't want to look like the medical rep next door or a manik mudalali or a village politician or a taxi driver.

Thanks crosswind, I like the last statement :)

don't be too worried about re-saleability or resale value on non-mainstream rides. Back in 2011 my then-girlfriend/now wife bought a perodua and people were like 'apo what is this brand' 'good luck trying to sell it ' , 'how do you intend to find spares' and so on. let me tell you for 4 years never had any issues finding spares and on top of it all last week it sold within 6 hours of the ad being published.

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

I saw in on thread mentioning, since Senok is the sole Subaru service provider they charge unreasonable amounts when it come to parts, is that true?

Genuine parts from agents are a tad more expensive always. Same is true for Honda spares from Stafford.

I don't have first hand experience buying spares from Senok yet, so not in a position to comment on that. Subarus are reliable machines. Also being brand new and all it should not be too much of a concern IMHO.