• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Lancer RalliArt

Davy

18 hours ago, Davy said:

Happy Saturday gentlemen!

Two hours, two bleeding fingers and one burnt hand later, I have managed to get the coilovers installed at a garage of a friend. Would have taken longer if not for the hoist, air tools etc. Let's take a look at how she looked before:

Before.thumb.jpg.35c94f004da156c62fcf3e9ebc3c586f.jpg

The top photo actually looks like the car is on a jack or something. But that's how bad the wheel gap was. And as seen from the two photos below, I can *clears throat* put my fist in the front wheel gap and and three fingers in the... um.... rear. ? 

I was too busy bleeding from my fingers trying to get the rear damper extensions installed, so no pics of the install. But here's a shot of the front and rear coilovers installed:

2.jpg.e4e0004518e42bf624179ca6f57a0f8a.jpg

And here's the top view of the front. My friend mistakenly installed the camber plate diagonally and had to remove them again to install them properly! :D 

IMG_20181117_181919.thumb.jpg.1e5eb408d5eeb424ca99ece3acc0a408.jpg

This is the damper adjustment extension routed into the trunk through an opening in the strut tower. Had to use a screwdriver and a hook to pull it into the trunk. Those metal edges are really sharp. Should have worn a pair of gloves. BC racing has really thought about this tbh. If not for this extension, it's impossible to adjust damper force as the top of the strut isn't visible from the trunk due to the chassis design. 

IMG_20181117_182109.thumb.jpg.cdda5f94cb383f1bcbf07deeef1e58ff.jpg

And voila... here she is after the install. Couldn't be more happier. This is not the final height. I'm still playing around with it. The rear tyre rubs on the wheel arch when going over bumps and uneven road surfaces, so I will have to roll the rear arches a tiny bit. Fronts are perfect. I think I like the front height more than the rear, but I might change my mind. Enough of the chit chat. Here you go... :)

IMG_20181117_142125.thumb.jpg.55bcc7ff1f36b64897519106a29ac853.jpg

IMG_20181117_142153.thumb.jpg.c29d0a7596401b45bd349291a991c1a0.jpg

IMG_20181117_142431.thumb.jpg.6f576e543fd06bb797cc057af6870ec2.jpg

IMG_20181117_142505.thumb.jpg.b5cf212dc16360aa1c0e7d7cd54eba7d.jpg

Close-up of the wheels with the centre caps on finally! No room for fists or fingers now. :D I can't even park the car in my parking bay the way I used to anymore because the front is low. It hits the stopper on the floor of the parking bay (see first image). So I park the car the other way. I used to park like this because it's easier to take the car out, but now I need to do a three point turn to take the car out.

After.thumb.jpg.7dea29c9a90e11606fbb880634f98f6f.jpg

The million dollar question - does it handle better? The difference in handling is pretty significant. The RalliArt handles pretty well out of the factory, but the new coilovers has transformed the car's handling to a whole new level! I can now confidently throw a tight bend at the car at much higher speeds and expect it to effortlessly take it. And the car stays planted on the road. Such a massive reduction in body roll. Out of the box, the factory damper setting is set to about  75% (8 notches down from 30) hard. I cranked it down two notches so now it's a bit more soft and surprisingly comfortable as well! I'm still playing around with that as well though. 

Overall, it has certainly been a worthwhile upgrade. I wish I had done it sooner. The car sits so nicely now and I'm really happy with the outcome. Stared at the car for about half an hour before driving off. :D 

Next up, I want to wrap the roof in black. Not looking for anything fancy, just cheap vinyl stickers from eBay. Cut to size and paste. Will probably DIY that as well. Also, after the BBS rims were installed, the brake calipers are really visible. So I want to paint them (red) and give a general clean  up under the wheel wells. Stay tuned for those.

Lastly, I have the BC Racing stickers that are still in the packaging. I'm in two minds if I want them on the car or not. If I were to install them, they will be going on glass (rear windscreen - one sticker, small glass on rear doors - one per side) unless it's under the bonnet. Thoughts? :) 

Thanks for reading! Comments are always welcome.

Brilliant work bro!!

The things that you are doing with your car makes me fall in love with lancers..❤️

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Davy said:

IMG_20181117_142125.thumb.jpg.55bcc7ff1f36b64897519106a29ac853.jpg

IMG_20181117_142153.thumb.jpg.c29d0a7596401b45bd349291a991c1a0.jpg

IMG_20181117_142431.thumb.jpg.6f576e543fd06bb797cc057af6870ec2.jpg

IMG_20181117_142505.thumb.jpg.b5cf212dc16360aa1c0e7d7cd54eba7d.jpg

Damn. Now that's how a Lancer should look like. Would kill to have mine lowered a bit but around here I need every last mm of the ground clearance I have... sigh.

I'm gonna jump on the no sticker bandwagon too. To me she looks perfect as she is now,  but I'm sure you'll make her look even better in the future somehow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

@Davy,  is there a model called CY3 with 4B11 (non-turbo) ?

Saw some posts on other sites about timing chain stretching issue in 4B11 from MY08, is that true ? what are other common issue you have encountered in these :D

Does standard OBD2 scanners work on this or do we need a special MUT scanner?

Edited by nagaya

1 hour ago, nagaya said:

Saw some posts on other sites about timing chain stretching issue in 4B11 from MY08, is that true ? what are other common issue you have encountered in these :D

Japan had a CY3 with a 4B10...which came in a grade called "SPORT". I thought CY3 was reserved for 1.8s with the 4B10 and those with the 4B11 were all CY4s

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nagaya said:

Is there a model called CY3 with 4B11 (non-turbo) ?

CY1 - 1600CC engine (4A92)

CY2 - 1500CC engine (4A91)

CY3 - 1800CC engine (4B10)

CY4 - 2000CC engine (4B11)

AFAIK we have 2 CY4 Lancers in Sri Lanka (Lancer GT, imported BN by the agent. There is an unknown number of JDM Galant Fortis Lancers which I believe either CY3 or CY4. Most common model in Sri Lanka is CY2 (Imported 2007-2011), Lancers imported post-2011 (2012-2015) are CY1.).

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nagaya said:

Hyaenidae's response above is spot on. CY4 is the model that came with 4B11 engines. The RalliArt is also CY4 by the way, but has a 4B11T.

All engine models that came on the CY series Lancer has a timing chain. As for stretching issues, the chain in the 4B11 has a wear sensor that illuminates the check engine light if at all the chain has excessive wear or stretch. I'm not sure if this is available in the 4A engine series, but I would assume it is - at least after a specific model year. If you're asking if the engine has an inherent timing chain stretching issue - then I am pretty sure it doesn't. 

I haven't tried the ELM327 Bluetooth OBD scanners on my car, so not sure if they work. I have a D900 OBD scanner and that's what I use. 

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/22/2019 at 4:26 PM, Davy said:

Hyaenidae's response above is spot on. CY4 is the model that came with 4B11 engines. The RalliArt is also CY4 by the way, but has a 4B11T.

All engine models that came on the CY series Lancer has a timing chain. As for stretching issues, the chain in the 4B11 has a wear sensor that illuminates the check engine light if at all the chain has excessive wear or stretch. I'm not sure if this is available in the 4A engine series, but I would assume it is - at least after a specific model year. If you're asking if the engine has an inherent timing chain stretching issue - then I am pretty sure it doesn't. 

I haven't tried the ELM327 Bluetooth OBD scanners on my car, so not sure if they work. I have a D900 OBD scanner and that's what I use. 

Davy, Is there any typical issues in CH (CS6 or CS9) and CJ (CY4) lancers which you are aware of to check before buying ? specially after 200k km ? I have seen some CJ lancers with CX4 model code as well (VR?)

On 12/6/2019 at 12:23 PM, nagaya said:

Davy, Is there any typical issues in CH (CS6 or CS9) and CJ (CY4) lancers which you are aware of to check before buying ? specially after 200k km ? I have seen some CJ lancers with CX4 model code as well (VR?)

With the CH, you'd have to check if the timing belt was replaced on time. Most workshops here paste a sticker on the rocker cover with the date and mileage at which the replacement was done. Look for the sticker and log book entry. With the CJ, you don't have to worry about this as the 4A and 4B engines run a timing chain. 

The CG and CH (CS series in SL for anyone wondering) are pretty reliable. So is the CY in my experience. So just check the regular things and the service history, accident history (you can get a report from CarFacts) etc. 

If you can, get a VR-X which is the top of the range model. ?

As for your question about the CX, that's the sportback (hatch) version.