• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Lancer RalliArt

Davy

On 04/09/2015 at 4:52 PM, Davy said:
Hello Gents,

After months of research and patience, I have finally found "The One". A car I have been waiting to own for as long as I can remember... a 10th Generation Lancer. What I managed to get is a Lancer RalliArt. Since this particular model isn't available in Sri Lanka (to my knowledge), let me give a brief introduction to the car.

Mitsubishi introduced the 10th generation Lancer (Referred to as the Lancer EX in Sri Lanka) in 2008 and it was certainly a different Lancer when compared to previous models. From the hooded brow over the headlights that give it an aggressive look, to the matching rear end, it was a brand new look for the Lancer. Back in 2008 when Mitsubishi launched the 10th gen Lancer, they only really had two variants: The Lancer EX (GLX, GLS, GT) and then the mighty track monster Evolution X.

While the Lancer EX comes with engines ranging from 1.5L (4A91) through 2.0L (4J10 and 4B10) to 2.4L (4B12), the power of all these engines were in the range of 109 - 170 horsepower while the Evolution X has a 2.0L Turbo (4B11T) engine that outputs 276 horsepower (The FQ400 in the UK has a massive 403 hp!). That's a pretty big gap right there and Mitsubishi introduced the Lancer RalliArt in 2009 to bridge the gap.

The RalliArt also has a 4B11T 2.0L turbocharged engine - the same engine that comes in the Evo X, de-tuned. It outputs 237hp - that's 54 less than the Evo. It's basically ideal for day-to-day use as well as a drive along a twisty road or a track if you are keen. :) To put it into perspective, if the Evolution is compatible with the Subaru WRX STi, then the RalliArt is head to head with the WRX.

Throughout this thread I will try my best to log detailed information about the RalliArt (strengths, weaknesses, comparisons etc.) and also share information about the journey with my car. Hope this will be helpful to someone some day.

Before going into any more detail, here she is...

Sorry this is so late, was not online much when you posted this... Many congratulations on the new car! Best of luck with it..

Edited by Davy
Removed broken image links

A little update:

After driving the car for a few hundred kilometres, I noticed a few issues:

1. Erratic idle RPM

The first issue was that the idle RPM was jumping around between 500 and 1000 when the engine was warm. On a cold start, it goes up to about 2000 and slowly comes down as the engine warms up, but still the RPM needle was just moving about. I got the throttle body cleaned up and this issue went away. Noticed that the agent had only cleaned IAC and had not done a full throttle body clean-up. I was advised to get a upper cylinder clean-up at the next service. Something very commonly done here in Australia and this is the general "tune-up" you get here.

4. Suspension noise when going over a speed bump

I felt that this comes from the upper strut mounts, and I was right. The shocks, bushes and linkages are all good, but the upper strut mount needs to be cleaned and re-greased because of excessive gunk and mud build up. To do this, the entire front suspension needs to be taken out, but they didn't have time to do this. So this was put off until the next service. However, I took the car and washed the wheel wells with a high pressure washer and I didn't hear the noise afterwards.

Apart from the above, the routine service was done, which includes an oil change, topping up of all fluids and a full inspection of the entire car followed by a diagnosis. She feels even better now. :)

I dunno what the hell is up with Mitsubishis and Idle RPM. You know my history with it I've never been comfortable with the idling of the G as well. Should do a throttle body clean up sometime soon.

As for the suspension noise, yeah I get that slight crunching noise too. Should get my mechanic to do the cleaning and re-greasing. :)

Sorry this is so late, was not online much when you posted this... Many congratulations on the new car! Best of luck with it..

Thanks Supra! Much appreciated.

I dunno what the hell is up with Mitsubishis and Idle RPM. You know my history with it I've never been comfortable with the idling of the G as well. Should do a throttle body clean up sometime soon.

As for the suspension noise, yeah I get that slight crunching noise too. Should get my mechanic to do the cleaning and re-greasing. :)

Tell me about it. I think they are too sensitive to carbon deposits on the throttle body. One morning I started the car and this is what I was greeted with:

https://vimeo.com/142104361

Glad it was sorted after the IACV was cleaned.

Edited by Davy

Another the late congratulatory message! The thing looks very cool in white.

What's with the warning lights on the dash?

Thanks Hoonigan!

As for the warning indicators, the engine is still switched off as you can see from the tachometer. I just wanted to snap a photo with the Mitsubishi logo on the display which comes up immediately after the ignition is turned on and fades away in about 5 seconds. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Found an awesome set of training videos for the Evo X and most of them are applicable to the Lancer RalliArt, so I thought of sharing them on this thread.

Part 1 of 5:

Part 2 of 5:

Part 3 of 5:

Part 4 of 5:

Part 5 of 5:

Mitsubishi 4B11 Technical Training:

Things to note:

- AYC (Active Yaw Control) is available on the Evo but not on the RalliArt

- The S-Sport mode is unavailable on the RalliArt although I have found places that re-flash the ECU to enable S-Sport mode

- The battery is located in the engine bay in the RalliArt whereas it is located in the trunk in the Evo

- The car that is used to demonstrate is a pre-2010 model which has the red multi info display

Search Tags:
Mitsubishi Evolution X Training Video, Manual, Engine Training Video, RalliArt Video, Technical Video

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

After four months and just under 3000km of running, I thought of reporting back about the car and to write a brief review. There have been some good reviews on the forum lately and I hope this too will fall into the collection. As all the other reviews on the forum are, please consider this to be a non-professional point of view. :)

As I have mentioned in the original post of this thread, the Lancer RalliArt is right in the middle between the base Lancer (EX) and the Evolution X. Starting from the engine to even the trunk space of the car, everything is right there in the middle. But this raises some questions, asked by many of my friends and even some forum members:

1. How practical/comfortable is it?

The RalliArt has got bits and pieces from the Evolution X that brings it to a higher level of performance, while maintaining the practicality of the base Lancer. The car is a mid-sized sedan that can comfortably accommodate five adults for even a trip that lasts a few hours.

The seats are very comfortable. There is ample leg space at the back, even for a six footer to sit comfortably. In my RalliArt, I have got the leather interior package and after using a couple of cars with fabric interiors, I have forgotten how easy and more pleasant a leather interior can be.

The driving position is one of the other things that I enjoy most. Having driven the Nissan Sunny and Toyota Corolla of the same age, I think the Lancer has the best driving position of them all. The driver has a clear view all round and all components of the dashboard are within your reach.

Suspension is a totally different story, occupants can feel even the slightest bump on the road, so this is not as comfortable as the base Lancer. I guess you can’t complain about it given that the car has bigger wheels and a different suspension system to the base Lancer or the Evo X. Still, I felt that the RalliArt is much less comfortable than even a Subaru WRX of the age. I’ve driven the EX in Sri Lanka and the car was much much more comfortable than this.

While the EX has a decent amount of trunk space, the Evo X doesn’t. This is due to the fact that the Evo is an AWD car that has a different suspension system at the back to do the rear drivetrain. It also has the battery in the trunk whereas the Lancer EX has the battery in the engine compartment. So the Evo has a really small trunk. The RalliArt trunk is in between. The floor of the trunk is higher (like the Evo) due to the AWD system, and this also has a space saver spare wheel (unlike the Evo that only has a puncture repair kit). So trunk space can be a problem in the RalliArt. But of course the rear seats can be folded down to make room to transport lengthy items. The rear seats of the Evo X cannot be folded.

2. What kinds of bells and whistles does it have?

• Mitsubishi Multimedia Communication System (MMCS)
    • GPS
    • AM/FM/CD/DVD/Aux input/iPod connectivity/Bluetooth
    • Voice recognition
    • Maintenance schedule and log
    • Car equipment customization – this thing is wired to the entire car. Even the intermittent wiper duration, turn indicator click sound can be customised.
    • Equaliser, Air conditioner controls, Lap times log, Fuel consumption history blah blah.
  • Rockford Fosgate sound system (4 speakers - 1 on each door, 2 tweeters on A pillars and sub woofer in the trunk)
  • 7 airbags including driver’s knee airbag, ABS
  • Keyless entry and keyless start with security system with interior motion detector
  • Rain sensing windshield wipers and dusk sensing headlamps
  • Climate control AC
  • Multi-function steering wheel with Audio controls, Cruise control, Bluetooth controls and voice command buttons to the MMCS
  • Active Stability Control (ASC).
  • Mitsubishi All Wheel Control System (AWC) that lets you switch between three modes – Gravel, Tarmac and Snow. I read that the AWC system on the RalliArt is the system from the Evo IX. The RalliArt is missing Active Yaw Control (AYC) which the Evo X has.
  • Twin Clutch SST transmission with two shift modes (Normal and Sport). The transmission can be shifted manually using either the stick or the paddle shifters which are mounted on the steering column.
  • Twin Exhausts
  • RalliArt Bodykit with rear spoiler, Evolution X aluminium hood, front bumper with large grille with chrome surround.
  • Fog lamps
  • Colour multi information display (all 10th gen Lancers before 2010 came with a monochromatic red multi info display). This too can be used to access and customise the car equipment. Has two trip computers, shows fuel consumption, distance from remaining fuel, average speed, Kms until next service etc.
  • Hill-start assist

What’s missing in my car:

• Sunroof (the sunroof was not offered to the Australian Market RalliArts after 2010)
  • HID projector headlamps (hoping to get a set soon!)

3. How fast is it?

Many reviews give an average of 7.1 seconds for 0 – 100 km/h. Tested mine when the car was fully loaded with 5 occupants and a trunk full of baggage and I did 0 – 100 on a straight tarmac road (in sport mode) in 8.2 seconds. I haven’t really had the chance to push the car to its limit yet mainly because I don’t want to do this on the open public roads. But there was one time I did a bit over 180 km/h on an open country road.

4. How does it drive?

Nothing like I have ever driven before. As I have mentioned before, the SST shifts mind-blowingly fast. The car can be thrown at a corner at high speed and you can expect it to comfortably take it on. The car sits a bit higher than the Evo X, so a bit of body roll can be observed at heavy cornering. Although Mitsubishi says that the turbo kicks in at about 2500 RPM, I don’t feel it kicking in until about 3000 – 3500 RPM. I have heard others saying the same.

I mostly use the paddles to shift, mainly because they’re at the end of my fingertips. But I do love to keep my left hand on the shifter and go at it every now and then.

The SST takes a bit of time to operate properly when driven off from a cold start. The transmission holds each gear for a bit longer and sometimes you feel like you’re waiting and waiting until the car shifts to the next gear, but it just doesn’t and the revs go to about 3000 – 4000. But after the engine temperature reaches the mid-point, it’s all smooth.

Driving in traffic in automatic mode is bit of a disappointment. The car shifts back and forth and struggles to sometimes take off in stop-and-go traffic. I mostly drive in manual mode, so this is not a problem for me personally, but I have heard others complain about it. But out of city traffic, the car drives really well even in automatic mode. The gearbox almost feels like it’s reading the driver’s mind, shifting up and down as if you would do yourself.

The longest drive I did was 760km. 5 occupants and a fully loaded trunk. The car took on all sorts of weather (rain, burning sun, wind) and all sorts of road conditions (freeway tarmac, gravel roads). On the gravel road, I switched the AWC system to GRAVEL and then floored it. :) The car took it on really well.

Do I miss the clutch pedal? Yes I do. Pity that Mitsubishi never offered a manual version of the RalliArt.

5. Fuel consumption

Best:

15.2 km/l with an average speed of about 100km/h on the freeway with 5 occupants and a fully loaded trunk.

Average:

8.7 kmpl 3 times in a row in mixed driving conditions. Driver and passenger with an average speed of about 30km/h, light on the throttle.

Worst so far:

7.2 km/l with a bit of heavy driving. I expect this to go even lower when pushed even further.

The recommended fuel for the RalliArt is 98 octane unleaded petrol. Also, even the Evo X is supposed to be run on Octane 98. Given that we have a few Evo Xs in Sri Lanka, I wonder how these are running? Do we have fuel stations that sell 98 octane?

6. Any problems so far?
Nothing major. I might have to replace the front wheel bearings as a roar can be heard at high speeds. Car slightly pulls to the left under heavy braking, should get the front suspension and alignment inspected. An upper cylinder clean-up (tune-up) also will have to be done. Scheduled an appointment for Jan 22nd to get this all done. :)

TL;DR (Too long; didn’t read):

The RalliArt is comfortable inside, more than enough space for 5 occupants to travel comfortably. The driving position is awesome! Suspension is rough when compared to the EX, but nothing to complain about since this is meant to be felt like this. The trunk space is adequate but small compared to other mid-sized sedans like the Corolla 141.

The Mitsubishi Multimedia Communication System (MMCS) has got it all. GPS, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Maintenance Logs, Lap counters, Car equipment customisation etc. The 7 speaker Rockford Fosgate audio is awesome!

Bells and whistles include: 7 Airbags, ABS, Active Stability Control (ASC), All Wheel Control (AWC), Rain sensing wipers, Dusk sensing headlamps, Bodykit, Fog lamps, Keyless entry, Motion detection, Climate Control AC etc.

Does 0 – 100 km/h in 7.1 seconds according to reviews.

The car drives really well. The SST transmission is something totally different, but takes some time to heat up and deliver optimal performance. Manual mode is most fun. The RalliArt doesn’t have a manual variant.

The longest trip I did was 760km in all sorts of driving conditions. The car held up pretty well.

8.7 kmpl average fuel consumption. Mixed driving conditions. Light driving. 98 Octane.

Will share some photos in this thread soon. :)

Edited by Davy
Corrected typo
  • Like 4

Adding the photos as per the previous post.

Exterior:
FotorCreated_zpswtt2ev7h.thumb.JPG.01eb4b8295451ec6db6691a10fde0fd6.JPG

Equipment:

RalliArt002_zpsoc32tegv.thumb.PNG.a6d6d0f3d799c47541682f731a8c4821.PNG

The MMCS:MMCS01_zpspmtuipim.thumb.PNG.8ec6aae7767a399e5abec42716d986b5.PNG

Doing what she's meant to be doing :)
IMG_20151226_131213_zpsfarktxnj.thumb.JPG.f90fc49e3558965e383a268448033bc6.JPG

IMG_20151226_131229_FULL_zpsbe9zqhij.thumb.PNG.23046e3640ab40157804e7b2e9416e6c.PNG

Edited by Davy
Fixed broken image links
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I took the car for a 250 km (one way) drive with a bunch of friends and it was the best drive I’ve done so far. Started off from home at 8:30 am and reached our destination at about 1 pm. The interesting thing about the drive is that it was mostly on different types of gravel. Twisty roads through a forest – basically the closest I have ever been to rallying – huge clouds of dust, and of course a lot of sideways action! :D

This is what most of the journey looked like:IMG_20160214_122102_zpsqxwgksbd.thumb.JPG.db5bc22266203a4c7ea62104033e483a.JPG

And the ladies - 2008 Subaru WRX, 2011 Lancer RalliArt and 1989 Toyota Corolla AWD Limited (JDM). The Corolla is a very interesting car. Only a couple in Australia.IMG_20160214_105933_zpsdhozaba0.thumb.JPG.d5643099a7be5314e7a157ad28c61fb1.JPG

After driving about a quarter of the journey, this is what our cars looked like:IMG_20160214_121947_zpso0dar99i.thumb.JPG.1122fadceac2c74f05ba1fa871af403c.JPG

IMG_20160214_121954_zpsmjyjob9a.thumb.JPG.c0d2ed646ec135d1db35976af294c439.JPG

IMG_20160214_121958_zpsmnirrdud.thumb.JPG.1375a5ff7acbc249b21fd5ad853f4e38.JPG

Wish I had a GoPro or something because I was running my dash cam all along and only noticed that it had an error in the middle and hadn't recorded the best part of the drive. :(

There was so much dust that the WRX even got a “Check Engine” light with a P0171 (Too lean). The car was totally drivable, but was lacking power and no boost at all. I initially thought it was the Oxygen sensor that had been knocked out by a rock or something, but after cleaning the MAF, the error went away and the car was normal again.

Before the trip, I took the car to Mitsubishi because my warranty was almost at the end and I wanted some issues checked out. The transmission rattle was infrequent, but was there at times. I was a bit concerned about it since it can be really expensive to get the SST repaired. Although the engineer who test drove my car initially said that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the transmission, he admitted after an inspection that the SST clutch pack might be on its way out. The clutch pack costs about $3000.

So after returning, I scheduled a date and got the clutch pack replaced under warranty. I'm so glad I didn't wait until the transmission gave obvious issues. The engineer said that there was excessive play in the clutch pack and was quite surprised (and glad) I felt it just with city driving. According to him, this had been one of the few cars on which they have replaced the clutch pack on warranty. I asked him how this can be, and he said that it is most probably due to SST oil not being changed on time or excessive transmission temperatures.

Got wheel alignment checked and an inspection of the undercarriage and suspension for damage caused by the trip. All good!

EDIT: Adding videos:

Video captured on phone by my friend who was riding on the front passenger seat. Sadly only the slow parts have been captured. Nothing much to see. :(

Second video (sorry about the wind noise) captured by the guy who was in the WRX. I think we're doing about 120 km/h here.

Edited by Davy
Fixed broken image links
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

After over a year and 15,000 KM later, I thought of giving an update. I've added a couple of videos to my last post (the Gravel road drive) as well.

If you've been following this thread, you may remember the rattling clutch which was solved after a transmission oil change. As I suspected, it resurfaced again and despite everyone telling me it's normal, I got it checked out. It was found that the clutches were on their way out and were replaced under warranty. I was told that the clutches cost about 300,000 LKR brand new. I think I got pretty lucky. After the repair, the change was pretty obvious. The shifting is now flawless and the car responds perfectly.

The car has mostly been a weekender. Mainly because I use public transport to get to work and back. But I did many trips ranging from about 150 km to a trip of 759 km (round) which is the one worth mentioning about. Got to drive on snow, and when all other sedans were crawling slowly up the mountain with snow chains on, the RalliArt had no trouble going up without snow chains, thanks to the AWD and the AWC which I switched to "snow" as soon as the road became icy. Out of the 380 km one way trip, about 90km was snow and ice. 

Here's a video:

The door sills were slightly scratched, so I touched them up and ordered a set of genuine scuff plates. Installed them myself and here's what it looks like now.596d7b1a90588_RalliArtScuffPlates_zpsgyg3q9by.thumb.JPG.d071ce58e28a12bc884d20e652a2bb70.JPG

I also blacked out the front grill with plasti-dip. Was not a fan of the chrome surround. Now it looks a bit more like the Evo from the front! :D I like how it came out.

596d7b169a39e_RalliArtBlackGrill_zpsuuodhyxg.thumb.JPG.0fd114ed7beddc959d12c4f5361079ba.JPG

596d7b0e006df_IMG_20161002_173759-Copy_zpsetgchhtd.thumb.JPG.a783c6f7284689b724be2705b73fd14e.JPG

596d7b1229737_IMG_20161002_173923-Copy_zpsgubw4sue.thumb.JPG.4f6832ae8682f9efa40236751b1966d5.JPG

Thought of going for a set of Evo X Enkei wheels. They're  hard to find  and pretty expensive. I found one set and went to inspect it a couple of weeks back, but the rims were not in good shape. One was bent and I was not willing to get them repaired at about 15,000 LKR a wheel.

IMG_20160925_181957_zpswkboxm7b.thumb.JPG.0f606f213dd3de9ba4a17fd84f80a22e.JPG

After a bit more research, I found out that the Evo X wheels have clearance issues on the Lancer and RalliArt. The Evo has wider fenders and the wide wheels (Stock RalliArt wheels are 7.0 inch wide with +46 offset whereas Evo wheels are 8.5 inch wide with +38 offset) so there will be rubbing of the rear wheels. The fenders need to be rolled up to prevent this, and I'm in two worlds about doing this because I was thinking of going for BC Racing coilovers to lower the car a bit. The gap between the front wheel and wheel arch is a bit too much for my liking (as seen in one of the photos above).

Edited by Davy
Fixed broken image links
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally! Evolution X MR BBS wheels, powder coated in charcoal grey. Arrived today and loving them! :) 

IMG_20161124_134017_zpsaiugne3u.thumb.JPG.22b66f4d91145701c30b20aa9e8f385e.JPG

IMG_20161124_134100_zpsg8j3c0p0.thumb.JPG.7d40a26fd58da733c2013adf4e877745.JPG

Another update:

I took apart the entire interior of the car to clean it up and found that there is a connector on both font seat that is not connected to anything. Lifted up the carpet and found that the other end of the connector, coming out of a wire harness in the car has also been taped to the harness. I assumed they were for heated seats. From memory, heated seats was an option only on the Evo. Anyway, after a bit of research on some local (Australian) forums, I found out that they can be hooked up relatively easily. Here's the thread if anyone is interested. So I got the switch and the wiring harness from eBay. I need a relay and a fuse to complete the job, so that's up next as well.

Here's the switch and the wiring harness:

464571fc-d6d9-4634-b403-f07ac151a188_zpsppaeguey.JPG.21f3610fccc97b319f76acb1f0a46b49.JPG

Stay tuned! :)

Edited by Davy
Fixed broken image links
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Muditha420 said:

Maxxa.... How are you mate?? after awhile seeing these updates. Nice work on the grill. Nice ride also... I guess i will hv to wait till it snows here to find out how the B4 does on snow lol :P

Thank you! I'm doing great machan. Yourself and the B4? :)

Yes, the drive on snow was a different experience for me, but the car seemed very comfortable on the different surfaces I put her through during the few hours.

A productive weekend. Installed the wheels and the heated seat wiring!

This is just after coming back from the tyre shop. The centre caps have not been put on yet.

IMG_20161127_132015_zpslvsptqwj.thumb.JPG.e96ee6be3ef6ab727a0be5eeaff0ac57.JPG

IMG_20161126_122351_zpsh4sdtcgt.thumb.JPG.63a511f91f148af33f6186666217b362.JPG

IMG_20161127_125424_zpsihs3cqzr.thumb.JPG.8b33eb1e90b00553bc188e795db9adfc.JPG

I only got the wheels balanced, but not aligned. The front needs camber adjustment by the looks. That gap at the back is a bit scary too although the wheels didn't rub when I did a bit of heavy driving on humps and stuff. They will definitely rub when the car is fully loaded, so lowering is now off the table.

The car is more steady when cornering now due to the wider tyres. I'm not 100% about the colour. I might just dip all the wheel faces in Anthracite Grey. But she looks pretty badass now IMO. :)

Spent a good 4 hours or so installing the heated seats. What seemed a simple job turned out to be a bit more complex due to the fact that almost half the dashboard and the entire centre console needed to be taken off to do a proper wiring job. 

Mid-job. Butchered interior. :P

IMG_20161127_165726_zpsyph0pscj.thumb.JPG.64f89577797b7fe88da5f3ed8afdeeeb.JPG

The centre console and the new wiring. 

IMG_20161127_171907_zpsczqbnqi7.thumb.JPG.8cbf9fa554a04435014580841c365fc4.JPG

IMG_20161127_134055_zpssshn3tjr.thumb.JPG.4563ac648720d1dee79f7836399a12a1.JPG

In operation. Passenger seat on high and driver's seat on low. The heat takes a couple of minutes to kick in. Also, the heaters don't work if no weight is detected on the seats.

IMG_20161127_181720_zps6vggkc4x.thumb.JPG.6081af4eb4c79e92403e36cc2252738a.JPG

Edited by Davy
Fixed broken image links
  • Like 3

Hey Davy, kicking myself for not checking up on this thread any earlier. No idea how the hell I missed most of the updates since the gravel road drive. :(

Car looks pretty bad ass! I think you need those coilovers anyway. :rolleyes: The front wheel gap is a bit hideous. (Don't know whether that's ironic coming from me!) I can't remember whether the Ralliart has stiffer suspension to begin with, if it doesn't  I reckon you'll feel the difference between the two when you hit those sharp turns.

Love the car mate! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sierra Charlie said:

Hey Davy, kicking myself for not checking up on this thread any earlier. No idea how the hell I missed most of the updates since the gravel road drive. :(

Car looks pretty bad ass! I think you need those coilovers anyway. :rolleyes: The front wheel gap is a bit hideous. (Don't know whether that's ironic coming from me!) I can't remember whether the Ralliart has stiffer suspension to begin with, if it doesn't  I reckon you'll feel the difference between the two when you hit those sharp turns.

Love the car mate! 

Thanks mate. 

Yes, the RalliArt does have stiffer suspension than the Lancer. Yes, as I've mentioned above, I just hate that gap. I'm weighing my options between coilovers + grey stock wheels vs the Evo wheels + stock shocks. Theere is very little clearance at the front on full steering lock, so I'm not sure I'd be able to go for coilovers with these wheels without having to do a major suspension change. 

On 02/10/2016 at 3:19 PM, Davy said:

After over a year and 15,000 KM later, I thought of giving an update. I've added a couple of videos to my last post (the Gravel road drive) as well.

If you've been following this thread, you may remember the rattling clutch which was solved after a transmission oil change. As I suspected, it resurfaced again and despite everyone telling me it's normal, I got it checked out. It was found that the clutches were on their way out and were replaced under warranty. I was told that the clutches cost about 300,000 LKR brand new. I think I got pretty lucky. After the repair, the change was pretty obvious. The shifting is now flawless and the car responds perfectly.

The car has mostly been a weekender. Mainly because I use public transport to get to work and back. But I did many trips ranging from about 150 km to a trip of 759 km (round) which is the one worth mentioning about. Got to drive on snow, and when all other sedans were crawling slowly up the mountain with snow chains on, the RalliArt had no trouble going up without snow chains, thanks to the AWD and the AWC which I switched to "snow" as soon as the road became icy. Out of the 380 km one way trip, about 90km was snow and ice. 

Here's a video:

The door sills were slightly scratched, so I touched them up and ordered a set of genuine scuff plates. Installed them myself and here's what it looks like now.

I also blacked out the front grill with plasti-dip. Was not a fan of the chrome surround. Now it looks a bit more like the Evo from the front! :D I like how it came out.

Thought of going for a set of Evo X Enkei wheels. They're  hard to find  and pretty expensive. I found one set and went to inspect it a couple of weeks back, but the rims were not in good shape. One was bent and I was not willing to get them repaired at about 15,000 LKR a wheel.

After a bit more research, I found out that the Evo X wheels have clearance issues on the Lancer and RalliArt. The Evo has wider fenders and the wide wheels (Stock RalliArt wheels are 7.0 inch wide with +46 offset whereas Evo wheels are 8.5 inch wide with +38 offset) so there will be rubbing of the rear wheels. The fenders need to be rolled up to prevent this, and I'm in two worlds about doing this because I was thinking of going for BC Racing coilovers to lower the car a bit. The gap between the front wheel and wheel arch is a bit too much for my liking (as seen in one of the photos above).

A RalliArt with Evo X BBS wheels and lowered. :wub:

Lucky you :D

Edited by Davy
Removed broken image links
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jor-el said:

@Davy how did you touch-up the door sils? I have some clearcoat scratches and I'm gonna try a cheap polish I found on eBay... is there a better way to get rid of clearcoat scratches?

In my case, I had some deep scratches which had to be touched up using a touch up pen. Then I used wet sandpaper (1200 grit) and lightly sanded the area followed by a polish using Armour All cut and polish.

If yours is just clear coat scratches, a simple cut and polish would do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I realised I haven't updated this thread in a while.

Some more photos with the BBS wheels on:

IMG_20161217_204831_zpsspfu6kv7.thumb.JPG.d79bef43392d5bba2ae44dd59c74a398.JPG

IMG_20161217_204843_zps0wcn9twe.thumb.JPG.a2f7085b98f87b2ada4ad573121421d8.JPG

The engine cover on the RalliArt is the same one that comes on the Evo, but the top part is not painted red. So I painted it red. The colour in the second photo is poor (looks Orange than red), thanks to my phone. :) 

IMG_20161211_232840_zpsclflwe8s.thumb.JPG.7d8b967f8932c2a56158d9a4b8fb720d.JPG

IMG_20161214_214849_zps9uftodlw.thumb.JPG.03130d5ac3eaf73f747e53f4d1e1676d.JPG

And now I'm back on OEM wheels again (newly painted - thread here) because the used tyres on the BBS wheels are horrible and the tyres on the OEM wheels are still good. Will use these for a while and go back to the BBS wheels later. After installing them, I kinda like them too.

I want to restore the BBS rims back to the original black-chrome finish that comes in the Evo X Final Edition. 

2016-mitsubishi-evo-x-final-edition-whee

Anyway, here's what she looks like now. Coincidentally next to a Lancer EX Facelift! :) 

IMG_20170325_101407_edit_zpsehivoykf.thumb.JPG.4746ff519cbb8533a2b3012b9f235ef2.JPG

BeautyAndTheBeast2_zpsdlbo9ave.thumb.PNG.d38a6dc22ce8ec6d9ed2cda280ccd303.PNG

I will be putting on coilovers (these ones) soon. Just hate that front wheel gap. 

While I'm here, I have a question for Lancer EX owners. Do the ones with projector headlamps in Sri Lanka come with headlight leveling as well? I'm thinking of upgrading mine to projectors and my wiring harness doesn't have wires for leveling, so I was wondering if there was a projector headlight option without leveling. A bit of research on Australian forums reveal that leveling motors can be purchased separately, but apparently 2011+ models don't come with them in the wiring harness, so external wiring will be required and I don't want to do that. So I'm checking if there are OEM projectors without leveling. More info here.

Edited by Davy
Fixed broken image links